Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A long way down - IM South Africa 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Izoard wrote: »
    In the car on the way down to Wexford on Friday night, Mrs I says...

"Are you still doing the IM in South Africa? I haven't noticed you doing any training for it..."

Once I swerved back into the lane, 2 things hit me:

1) If the missus makes a statement like that, it just shows the depths to which "training" has plummeted

2) I should not do this race.

I'll take 1) on board and ignore 2) for the time being....

Meehh.....I think training is highly overrated meself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

In the car on the way down to Wexford on Friday night, Mrs I says...

"Are you still doing the IM in South Africa? I haven't noticed you doing any training for it..."

Once I swerved back into the lane, 2 things hit me:

1) If the missus makes a statement like that, it just shows the depths to which "training" has plummeted

2) I should not do this race.

I'll take 1) on board and ignore 2) for the time being....

The SBR challenge tells a different story. Please enlighten us amateurs, teach us your ways, how do you manage to fit in that volume without her knowing about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

BTH wrote: »
    The SBR challenge tells a different story. Please enlighten us amateurs, teach us your ways, how do you manage to fit in that volume without her knowing about it?

Good point.

She has bad memories of previous events where I disappeared for 5-6 hours for bike rides in the wilds of Wicklow at the weekends.

Now that I've knocked the long stuff on the head and restricting the bike to 2 hour turbos and commuting, it appears that I've stopped training.

So, while the kms are accumulating, it is generally through a fair bit 60-90 min sessions, with the odd 2-hour gig.

Excellent for OLY distance, but not ideal for IM...:)

T -13 days.

Work challenges are exerting a lot of pressure to cancel this, as I'm now supposed to be on the exact opposite side of the world on the day after the IM.
    However, knowing it will be my last for a while, I'm holding out for the moment.

We'll see who blinks first.:)

Easter was meant to be comprised of a few 3 hour cycles in the balmy environs of the sunny-south East.

Reality was 2 x 2hour runs in the aching cold around the mean streets of Gorey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Fingers crossed you don't blink. ;)

• Advertisement

When you do start your taper..........on the flight? :)

griffin100 wrote: »
    When you do start your taper..........on the flight? :)

If I'm continuously running up & down the aisles of the plane for 11 hours to Jo'burg, can I throw in 9,000km to my run total on the S/B/R challenge?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

If I'm continuously running up & down the aisles of the plane for 11 hours to Jo'burg, can I throw in 9,000km to my run total on the S/B/R challenge?
    It would make a cool garmin profile

For the moment, I've managed to dodge the summons to the US Death Star, so the plan is:

Tues: Fly to Jo'burg
    Wed/ Thurs: Work in Jo'burg
    Fri: Fly to PLZ
    Sun: IM
    Monday: Flight back to Dublin.

At this point, I'm just looking forward to hanging out in a warm place for a few days - is this winter ever going to end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

A true Ironman original. Enjoy as I know you will.
    Looking forward to the report

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Good luck Izoard, also looking forward to the report.

Enjoy (not sure if that's the right word) the day. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

You are completely bonkers, have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

All the best!

You are completely bonkers, have fun.

We are all bonkers, JB - I dreamt I saw a photo of you on a turbo, with your shoulder in a sling....oh, wait....:)

For sure, I will be testing tunney's theory that any healthy individual can finish an IM - fitness is an optional extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

At this point, I'm just looking forward to hanging out in a warm place for a few days - is this winter ever going to end?

Best of luck Izoard. If it gets too hot down there at least you'll have plenty of recent cold and wet memories to try and help cool you down. Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

For sure, I will be testing tunney's theory that any healthy individual can finish an IM - fitness is an optional extra.
    Your ability to finish is in direct proportion to your ability to suffer.

I wouldnt class you as just any healthy individual though.

Best of luck sir, enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Very best of luck with your adventure

You've worked so hard and your training has been phenomenal.... Oh wait, sorry, that's what I'm going to post on Dory's log;)

I've no doubt that despite your unconventional training you will cross the Finish Line wearing your finest smile and finest Lycra, looking forward to hearing all about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

No :mad:

Best of luck F. Have fun in the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

It's only Tuesday and already with the best wishes for a fantastic event sentiments?? :eek: Feels like you're being pushed out the door. But hey....when in Rome....

Izoard - smash it....smash something....have a smashing time....and look smashing while having that smashing time smashing something. Best to you....and I look forward to your always humorously upbeat report. :)

We're all suffering from premature salutation.

Oryx wrote: »
    We're all suffering from premature salutation.

Boom! :)

We're all getting a little excited - Boston, London etc...all coming up fast.

Naming the Arsenal starting 11* works wonders - although if you really want to test yourself, trying staying in the game while wondering about Wenger's permutations for the bench on any given Saturday...

*not necessarily out loud, but hey, consenting adults and all that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Best of luck out there:)

Any chance of an emailed report during T1 and T2?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Best of luck out there:)

Any chance of an emailed report during T1 and T2?

Being famously tardy around transitions, I could probably knock something together to justify the hanging around for 10 mins or so....
    watch this space:)

First part of the journey complete - safely in position in Jo'burg.
    Great to see the sun for the first time in 6 months or so.

Touch-and-go with the luggage, and I haven't even looked at the bike - no point in surveying the damage until the next leg is complete.

Note to self: ditch the bike bag for a proper box, if this overseas tri-craic is going to continue....

Eagle has landed...

I could easily pick out my fellow IM participants on the flight on the way down...I, on the otherhand, was not getting any knowing glances...

Great spot for it - reminds me of Galway, only with better weather.

Expecting 23C on Sunday - but the wind is a bit of a belter though...

Bib# 948, if anyone has 17 hours to kill on Sunday.

Bib# 948, if anyone has 17 hours to kill on Sunday.
    16.5, surely? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I hear the drums echoing tonight
    But he hears only whispers of some quiet conversation
    He's swimming in the 12:30 Wave
    His compression sleeves reflect the stars that guide me towards salvation
    I stopped an old man along the way,
    Hoping to find some old forgotten gels or ancient Lucozade
    He turned to me as if to say, Hurry boy, It's waiting there for you

Rock on Izoard
    - Yahoooooooooooooo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Best of luck this weekend. Those SBR leading bike legs will be very useful to you and you'll surprise yourself. This thread is nothing but sandbagging and I'm on to you! :pac:

Advertisement