Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stopped at lights

• 30-11-2012 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

Really what is the story with people. I have move office recently so I have gone from motorway/dual carriage commute to riding along the canal road in Dublin.

Anyone who knows the area, will know there are plenty of lights involved and at commute time plenty of filtering against oncoming traffic.

I'm down to the PX200 at the moment, what I have noticed is when I stop at lights there often is one, two or even three other bikes stopped too. They is nearly always a mad rush to be first off, I thought at first it was because of me being on a vespa and people thinking I would hold them up.

Yet I have noticed others on mopeds trying to be first off too.

I don't care most of the time, I well used to filtering if somebody is holding me up I will get ahead of them at the next lights, like wise if I thought I was holding someone up I will let the get ahead.

I just don't understand the rush to get from one set of lights only to stop a few hundred meters down the road at the next set. I kept pace with a guy today and I got up to 60+k only to hit the breaks for the next stop.

Anyway I hope to get the CB back over the weekend and it will be interesting to see if people are still going mad to get in fornt of me.

I'm used to the sequence now so I know where if I speed things up I will catch the net set of lights, but for most of them it makes no difference how fast you go you will still have to stop at the next lights.

Is it just me, or do others notice this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Odysseus wrote: »
    Really what is the story with people. I have move office recently so I have gone from motorway/dual carriage commute to riding along the canal road in Dublin.

Anyone who knows the area, will know there are plenty of lights involved and at commute time plenty of filtering against oncoming traffic.

I'm down to the PX200 at the moment, what I have noticed is when I stop at lights there often is one, two or even three other bikes stopped too. They is nearly always a mad rush to be first off, I thought at first it was because of me being on a vespa and people thinking I would hold them up.

Yet I have noticed others on mopeds trying to be first off too.

I don't care most of the time, I well used to filtering if somebody is holding me up I will get ahead of them at the next lights, like wise if I thought I was holding someone up I will let the get ahead.

I just don't understand the rush to get from one set of lights only to stop a few hundred meters down the road at the next set. I kept pace with a guy today and I got up to 60+k only to hit the breaks for the next stop.

Anyway I hope to get the CB back over the weekend and it will be interesting to see if people are still going mad to get in fornt of me.

I'm used to the sequence now so I know where if I speed things up I will catch the net set of lights, but for most of them it makes no difference how fast you go you will still have to stop at the next lights.

Is it just me, or do others notice this?

I noticed it aswell anytime im driving down the canals.
    I just ignore it tbh because there is enough sh.t to watch out for when driving there instead of even sparing a thought to getting away faster than the numpty beside you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Some lads go when the other light is orange and are across the junction before their light goes green.
    I always let whoever is there first go first. Or if I can see someone is fast through traffic, they can go first.
    Worst thing is when you're filtering on the right and the bike in front stops at the top of the line of traffic and doesn't give bikers behind room to get in front of the first car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Let them off, it'll only be a matter of time that they get a smack off someone breaking a red light.

Then they can moan about how some dozy fecker broke a redlight and crashed into them.

Then we can moan about their attitude and, quite rightly, point out that they should have checked left and right before moving off.

Then they can moan about why they need to do it as it is up to the other drivers to drive correctly

Then we can moan about how their lack of training has exposed them to getting hit and if they did some they would know to always check for other road users and pedestrians before moving off from lights

Then people can come along and say that you always need to drive like they are out to kill you.

Then we can moan that you/I/we/they are c*nts.

And finally we can then sit back to check our Thank Post count

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

i think you have had this conversation before rosiejoe....

but in all honesty those people are accidents waiting to happen, they might get lucky most morning but some morning they will push it too far and be t-boned by the muppet chasing a yellow light..and lets face it these people are everywhere there is nothing you can do to avoid them except stay well away from them and don't get involved in their games...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Every set of lights is a new drag race :)

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

This doesn't happen when you're on a Fireblade :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

KamiKazi wrote: »
    This doesn't happen when you're on a Fireblade :D

Sure it does, even had a 92 Civic try that on not that long ago, let him go for about 20 yards then piled it on :D

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭floatwinner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Cienciano wrote: »
    Some lads go when the other light is orange and are across the junction before their light goes green.
    I always let whoever is there first go first. Or if I can see someone is fast through traffic, they can go first.
    Worst thing is when you're filtering on the right and the bike in front stops at the top of the line of traffic and doesn't give bikers behind room to get in front of the first car.

This I do fcuking hate, I always make room for whoever is behind.

The other doesan't really bother me, don't get me wrong. I get a laught out some of the trying to belt off before me, I just go at my own pace. It only really bothers me if they made a big efford to get in front of me then are as slow as fcuk through traffic. I would be more conscious of holding someone up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

eurofoxy wrote: »
    ... and be t-boned by the muppet chasing a yellow light...

If that were just the case - the yellow light, that is. I don't think a day goes by when I don't see cars (and some bikes, to be fair) following through the red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

I've been driving scoots for 11 years and I've always adopted the check and then move approach when it comes to moving off at lights, there's too many dopes on the road and I don't want to be their victim.

Now I'm on a Deauville 650, first week on it after doing 6 hours of training with an approved instructor, and finding it a bit daunting as its my first geared bike. Last night I conked it moving from O'Connell Street onto Shannon Street in Limerick because some drunk tart decided that it would be nice to run out on the road screaming and try to mount it, so I panicked. The slag ended up getting a decent push away. Could have done without that crap, only makes me more nervous while learning. I honestly thought I was going to drop it, but didn't thankfully.

Jmccoy1 wrote: »
    I've been driving scoots for 11 years and I've always adopted the check and then move approach when it comes to moving off at lights, there's too many dopes on the road and I don't want to be their victim.

Now I'm on a Deauville 650, first week on it after doing 6 hours of training with an approved instructor, and finding it a bit daunting as its my first geared bike. Last night I conked it moving from O'Connell Street onto Shannon Street in Limerick because some drunk tart decided that it would be nice to run out on the road screaming and try to mount it, so I panicked. The slag ended up getting a decent push away. Could have done without that crap, only makes me more nervous while learning. I honestly thought I was going to drop it, but didn't thankfully.

You will be surprised how quickly you adapt. I just had the super-four dropped off and headed off for a spin. Having been on the vespa for a while I kept trying to twist the handle bar every time I went to change gear. However, another spin and I will be back to normal.

Good luck with the Deauville

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

Odysseus wrote: »
    You will be surprised how quickly you adapt. I just had the super-four dropped off and headed off for a spin. Having been on the vespa for a while I kept trying to twist the handle bar every time I went to change gear. However, another spin and I will be back to normal.

Good luck with the Deauville

Thanks ! What seems to be catching me is having to brake with my foot instead of the left handlebar leaver, and that where the clutch is, is no longer a break. Given time hopefully.

Jmccoy1 wrote: »
    Thanks ! What seems to be catching me is having to brake with my foot instead of the left handlebar leaver, and that where the clutch is, is no longer a break. Given time hopefully.

I have never ridden an automatic, but I have a few bikes and well with the vespa the gear shifter is on the handlebar, but I often have to remember has this 4,5,or 6 gears? Like tonight I got on the super-four for the first time in a few months and couldn't remember it the gears stopped at 5th

I reckon you will find its second nature very quickly, just put the hours in on it and it will come.

Advertisement