Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA Ballon d'Or 2012 *MOD NOTE POST #1*

• 30-11-2012 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭

** MOD NOTE **

OK we now know the final 3 .
    Iniesta gets my vote.

CRISTIANO RONALDO

1787107%5flarge-lnd.jpg
    2012 was yet another glorious year for the irrepressible Cristiano Ronaldo. With Portugal, he scored twice against the Netherlands and another against the Czech Republic to propel his side to the semi-finals of EURO 2012, while with Real Madrid, he won La Liga – scoring 46 goals along the way – and played a key role in their run to the Champions League semi-finals.

Andres INIESTA

1654935%5flarge-lnd.jpg
    Still a spectacular and impressive figure in the Barcelona midfield, and often standing head and shoulders above the rest, Andrés Iniesta took centre stage for Spain once again in June, winning his second European Championship title and being named as the best player, not only of the final, but also of the entire tournament.

Lionel MESSI

1784624%5flarge-lnd.jpg
    Even though Barcelona did not lift a major trophy in 2012 – the Copa del Rey aside – Lionel Messi continued to go from strength to strength, amassing goals and records along the way. The three-time Ballon d’Or winner was no less impressive for Argentina either, helping them dominate the South American FIFA World Cup qualifiers.

Who gets your vote? 91 votes

Ronaldo
    0% 0 votes
    Iniesta
    78% 71 votes
    Messi
    21% 20 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Messi. Iniesta had an awesome year both playing with his club and internationally being part of a quality group that won the Euros again but he didn't have a better year than Messi or Ronaldo.

By some distance Messi and Ronaldo are the two best players in the world and Messi is better than Ronaldo and he should be given the accolades that he deserves.

I love Iniesta, he's a fantastic footballer and probably is the 3rd best but he's not Leo Messi who has just been above everybody else again this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Messi for his goal scoring alone this year but I'd love to see Iniesta get it.

Preference :
    Iniesta
    Messi
    Ronaldo

Probable :
    Messi
    Ronaldo
    Iniesta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

My vote went to Iniesta cause I had the pleasure to watch him twice in the Euros.

I never took my eye of the guy and when you see his movement off the ball, dropping into holes and creating moves its a joy to behold -stuff you don't see on camera.

but yea Messi has had another fantastic season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I think Iniesta might shade it. He has been there or there abouts for the last few years. Has been MOTM in both a world cup and Euro final. He is the picture of consistency. He makes teams tick.

He is not a better player than Messi or CR7, but I hope he gets it this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Leiva wrote: »
    My vote went to Iniesta cause I had the pleasure to watch him twice in the Euros.

I never took my eye of the guy and when you see his movement off the ball, dropping into holes and creating moves its a joy to behold -stuff you don't see on camera.

but yea Messi has had another fantastic season.

That was the whole Spanish team in fairness. It depressed me so much seeing them move like that and every pass finding it's target and the Irish lads just freezing around them. The score was pretty bad but could have been anything. Ronaldo was a clear standout performer on his team that overall is fairly behind the Spanish team and his influence lifted them to one on a par with Spain and nearly above. Messi was Messi but Ronnie did it on the international and even though Messi didn't get the opportunity I think that pushes Ronaldo ahead of him too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think its likely that Iniesta gets it because of Spain's win in the Euros but for me Messi is just too far ahead of anybody else right now and he got my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

I vote Ronaldo - it's his humility that clinches it for me ......

.... oh wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Think Messi will get it but it would be nice to see Iniesta get it.

Messi, nobody is on his level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I'd love it if Iniesta won it, that's why he got my vote. But with Messi being, well Messi, there's no one close to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Iniesta is an excellent midfielder and a master at what he does.

Ronaldo is a better player and I'm a huge fan of his but..

I just can't look past Messi, ridiculous what he has achieved again this year.. The consistency at the highest level is unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

I think it'll go to Messi but would love Iniesta to get it. Messi has enough of them already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I'd like to see Iniesta win it (like everybody else) but Messi is too good not to imo. Surprised at the amount of votes for Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Ronaldo is a serious talent when he drops the BS. Features highly for Real. Went off Messi when he was kept pretty quiet by Celtic and was out-shun by Tony Watt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I voted for Ronaldo becuase I think he had a better season than Messi or Iniesta.

In reality, I think Iniesta will win because of the Euro's.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Gotta be Messi.

Whats to be said for a late 4th nominee of Emile Heskey?

Whats to be said for a late 4th nominee of Emile Heskey?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNEZDrMbP9xGpAsDthkPwgUHnE_qh5hq5vDSLsLdFxVd8z2nf3

GavRedKing wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNEZDrMbP9xGpAsDthkPwgUHnE_qh5hq5vDSLsLdFxVd8z2nf3

I was considering Fernando Torres but Heskey pipped him to it:D

I was considering Fernando Torres but Heskey pipped him to it:D

Wouldn't be to hard really, would it. :pac:

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be to hard really, would it. :pac:

I'd have to agree:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Messi.

Iniesta will probably deserve one at some point in his career - a sort of lifetime achievement award - but Messi is without a shadow of a doubt the best player around and he'll probably end up as the greatest of all time if he stays fit over the next 5 years.

50 goals in the league. Over 80 in the calendar year for Barca and Argentina.
    Lunacy.

Should be no contest tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Messi has his goalscoring record.
    Iniesta has Euro 2012.
    Ronaldo has the Spanish league title.

Messi for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Ronaldo is a serious talent when he drops the BS. Features highly for Real. Went off Messi when he was kept pretty quiet by Celtic and was out-shun by Tony Watt.

Messi might not have had the best game, that is one game. He has scored 80+ goals in the calendar year, on the brink of setting the new record.

I know he has a few already, shouldn't be against him as is without a doubt the best player on the planet.

Edit: Besides Emile Heskey of course.

Thecon21 wrote: »
    Messi might not have had the best game, that is one game. He has scored 80+ goals in the calendar year, on the brink of setting the new record.

I know he has a few already, shouldn't be against him as is without a doubt the best player on the planet.

Edit: Besides Emile Heskey of course.

I just don't feel he's the best, but that's my opinion. I've never been much of a fan of him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

+1
    I don't see the appeal of Emile Heskey. He's an oaf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Messi all the way!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Surprising to see so many think that Iniesta has much of a chance, you can get 14/1 on him in the bookies. Ronaldo is best price 7/1 and Messi 1/6.

I can't see past Messi getting it myself.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They need to invent a more competitive award. This one is as predictable as the Scottish premier.

• Advertisement

They need to invent a more competitive award. This one is as predictable as the Scottish premier.

Hibs to win?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

What? Why?

We've an insanely talented player, what's wrong with celebrating that? Crazy to change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Iniesta for me. Them other two won it too many times already ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Blatter wrote: »
    Surprising to see so many think that Iniesta has much of a chance, you can get 14/1 on him in the bookies.

And that means if you put €10 on Iniesta then you will lose €10 ;)

Let's be honest, it is a two horse race, and rightly so.

Two of the best and most consistent players the game has ever seen.

Messi for me. Can't see this goal scoring record he is due to set (probably will end up with about 90 odd goals this year) being broken in my lifetime and if it is, it will be done by only one man - Messi.

How many goals has Ronaldo scored in 2012?

How many goals has Ronaldo scored in 2012?

59 I think.

• Advertisement

59 I think.

That all. :rolleyes: :p

That's some going, unluckily for him he was born in the same era as Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The reason its so preditable is because we have one of the greatest footballers of all time in his prime right now. Only Pele and Maradona live on the same echelon imo.

That all. :rolleyes: :p

That's some going, unluckily for him he was born in the same era as Messi.

It's insane.

To think that after the year Ronaldo has had that he may have to score an extra 25 odd goals next year to break the record Messi will set this season.

25 in itself is considered an excellent season for many top level players.

As much as I like Iniesta, these two are on another level.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I would like Iniesta and secondly Messi to win it, but Ronaldo I think will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Blatter wrote: »
    Surprising to see so many think that Iniesta has much of a chance, you can get 14/1 on him in the bookies. Ronaldo is best price 7/1 and Messi 1/6.

I can't see past Messi getting it myself.

Iniesta hasn't has a good year by his standards.
    He was injured for alot of the earlier part of the year and really only came good at the European championships .

You cant argue with 82 goals in a year ,Messi is the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

The fact Messi has started this season even better than last just shows why he should and probably will win every year until his 30's. Clear winner for me. Regardless of the superior team achievements of the others it's an award for individuality so it's an easy choice for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

The fact that Barca win nothing of note may go against Messi.
    No doubting he's the best in the world though.

The fact that Barca win nothing of note may go against Messi.
    No doubting he's the best in the world though.

It shouldn't go against him, hope it doesn't anyway.

As much as I'd like Iniesta to win it, Messi should walk home with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Ronaldo is superior to Messi and Iniesta but Messi will win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

764dak wrote: »
    Ronaldo is superior to Messi

How so? Worse team player, less goals, less assists. Seems pretty obvious at this point (at least to the majority of people) that Messi is the better of the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Glorified Popularity contest. Messi may lose some of the African vote after his racism issue with Drente though. Even if Messi is a racist it shouldnt diminish him as a footballer. Luis Suarez is another one. No matter how many goals he scored or how well he plays over a season, there is not a hope in hell he would win the PFA player of the year. These awards are right up there with a Smash Hits Poll winners party.

Also Jimmy McGee gets to vote :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Glorified Popularity contest. Messi may lose some of the African vote after his racism issue with Drente though. Even if Messi is a racist it shouldnt diminish him as a footballer. Luis Suarez is another one. No matter how many goals he scored or how well he plays over a season, there is not a hope in hell he would win the PFA player of the year. These awards are right up there with a Smash Hits Poll winners party.

Also Jimmy McGee gets to vote :pac:

That's bollocks in fairness. Ronaldo was the least popular person in the PL when he won player of the years during his time there. Though I feel Messi does get more votes in this type of thing because of his personality over Ronaldo. Sure even in the Ronaldo gives to charity thread there were people trying to diminish his character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Liam O wrote: »
    That's bollocks in fairness. Ronaldo was the least popular person in the PL when he won player of the years during his time there. Though. I feel Messi does get more votes in this type of thing because of his personality over Ronaldo. Sure even in the Ronaldo gives to charity thread there were people trying to diminish his character.

:confused: Maybe with nutjobs in the crowd. He was respected by his peers.

And Messi doesnt have a public personality. He's a conservative wet dream, he keeps his mouth shut and toes the party line. A Johnny Giles type player. Bland as they come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

This whole "Messi is humble and has a great personality" is a myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

764dak wrote: »
    This whole "Messi is humble and has a great personality" is a myth.

Go on??

• Advertisement
Advertisement