Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twist rate in 243 - 10" inch 6 groves

Options
  • 30-11-2012 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Guys can any one let me know what the twist rate is. The manafacturer said - 10" inches 6 groves. I have'nt a clue what that means.
    Also what weight amo would be best suited to that twist.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Mauser 308 wrote: »
    Guys can any one let me know what the twist rate is. The manafacturer said - 10" inches 6 groves. I have'nt a clue what that means.
    Also what weight amo would be best suited to that twist.
    Cheers
    Hi Mauser, 1-10 twist is the bullet turns 360 degrees every 10" .
    The groves Dia should be around .243" .
    Regards ,Tomcat.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

tomcat220t wrote: »
    Hi Mauser, 1-10 twist is the bullet turns 360 degrees every 10" .
    The groves Dia should be around .243" .
    Regards ,Tomcat.
    Hi Tomcat, thanks for the reply. Forgive my ignorance but are you saying that 10" inches 6 groves is a 1 in 10 twist rate. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

If the bullet does one full turn in 10" then thats the twist rate , 1 - 10".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As tomcat220t said a 1:10 means one full revolution of the bullet for every ten inches in the barrel. As for the grooves. The only thing i can think of is the dealer is referring to the lands and grooves in the barrel.

If he said 6 grooves then he means there are 6 "channels" in the barrel. This also means there are 6 Lands. Like you would see/hear about on a crime program.

...................but are you saying that 10" inches 6 groves is a 1 in 10 twist rate.....
    The twist rate is the important factor when choosing a bullet. The grooves are not as important to the extent you really don't need to know what lands and grooves your gun has to pick a suitable bullet.

Here is a thread i started a while back before i picked up my new .243. She is also a 1:10.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Tommy87

I downloaded a chart one time for .243 and .308 and for the .243 it says that for a 1:10 twist bullets of 100grain or more will suit best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Nearly all 243's will be 1:10

Advertisement