Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish house valutation website

Options
  • 30-11-2012 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I don't know if I was raving or not at the time but I could have sworn that a couple of months ago I heard something on the tv/radio about there being a new Irish website that let you enter your details about your house in order to get an estimate on it's value.

With the impending property tax I was looking to see if I could get a value for the house...was I dreaming or is there such a website?:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

This is what I was thinking of alright but I can't seem to get it to work. Keeps saying error :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

How will the property price register website help with valuing your house? It can tell you how much a house in your neighbourhood sold for, but not what your house is worth.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Rasmus wrote: »
    How will the property price register website help with valuing your house? It can tell you how much a house in your neighbourhood sold for, but not what your house is worth.

If you use it as a yardstick for the property tax- it'll probably work in your favour- providing there have actually been sales in your neighbourhood.

Anyhow- worth, value, these are all meaningless terms in all honesty. Any property is worth what a potential buyer is willing (and capable) of paying for it. All too often this valuation method falls foul of what potential sellers expect from their property- which is why the market is so illiquid- unrealistic expectations on the parts of both buyers and sellers.

For all its worth- the property website is the only semi reliable guidance we have- whether we like it or not. Unlike the CSO figures- it also includes cash sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Rasmus wrote: »
    Your house is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. The register shows you what people are willing to pay for houses. So it does help you value your house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

smccarrick wrote: »
    If you use it as a yardstick for the property tax- it'll probably work in your favour- providing there have actually been sales in your neighbourhood.

e a
    Good point, I didn't think about that - I didn't notice the original query was about the property tax.

Advertisement