Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

touch.boards.ie changes

Options
  • 30-11-2012 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Hello all.

Our traffic to touch.boards keeps growing which is great, so we're looking to make some tweaks to make it better for both logged in members and guests.

I'll start by showing you these 2 mockups - the first for someone who's logged in and the second for someone who isn't.

230840.png230842.png

OK, so starting with "Logged in":
    We're making a change from the tabs along the top with Forums | PMs | Account and adding 3 icons for "Forum list (which will have "by category" or alphabetically), Account (which will also have PMs displayed) and a new "Start a discussion" button (the pencil) - I'll explain the plan for that in a moment.

The Logged out screen will show a Start tab which will be a quick and easy means for people who aren't members to join and start their first thread. You can see there are options to upload a photo and share a link - they're all going to be doing the same thing as "start a discussion" but they'll just tweak the layout of the submission forum.

So this start a discussion functionality is something we've been working on for a while and is designed to make it as easy as possible to get people posting on the site. Every single day we still get emails from people who don't know how to start a thread on Boards and the problem is not that the big blue "New Thread" button is invisible, but that a forum structure is so alien to the majority of today's internet users (for whom the internet mostly consists of things like Facebook and YouTube) we need to meet them halfway and guide them through some of the basic things that the rest of us do on instinct after years of using this site and others like it.

So when you click on the button to start it'll ask you what you want to talk about and make a suggestion of what forum to post it in. The functionality will allow for attaching a photo or inserting a link depending on what the person's pressed but will require content - so no "empty" threads with just a link in it.

You'll have also seen a "What's hot?" tab - we can display several different threads from all across the site which will probably work similarly to the @boards_top Twitter account - the specifics of the algorithm that'll manage that haven't been finalised just yet, but it won't be difficult. We figure that it's a nice means of getting non-members interested in the pretty wide range of things the site has to offer.

So we'd like to hear what you think of these ideas and if you've any suggestions.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Can you develop an a through to z tab on the side of the forum list to quickly jump to forum letter similar to on an iPhone's contact list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

Is there any chance when you reply to a pm on Touch that it will include the pm you are replying to?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Ella wrote: »
    Is there any chance when you reply to a pm on Touch that it will include the pm you are replying to?
    And also enable "reply all", which, unless I'm missing something, you can't do within the touch environment.

I like the look of the mockups. I'm just wondering if the "Start a Discussion" causes people to skip a crucial step of doing a basic search to see if that question has ever been asked. I understand the drive to get people in the door, as it were, but will it just mean a spate of new "should I get an iPhone or an android phone" type threads the mods will need to close and refer to the 20 existing ones? [This may be addressed already in the process - I don't know!]

How does the upload a photo thing work? Sounds useful. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

The A-Z tab on the Forum list - I'll add that to the wish list for sure, sounds useful.

I'd imagine we could quote the PM when doing a reply too.

The "Start a Discussion" thing will do a brief search for threads with the same (or similar) subject - its functionality we've already developed for something we're hoping to implement on the Talk To forums, so it hopefully won't be too difficult to port over to the touch site.

Regarding the logged-in mock-up, would it be possible to include a notification indicating that a followed thread has been posted in? This would be similar to the notification that appears beside a user's username on the regular site, which notifies the user of a new post in a thread he/she is following. I imagine it would look similar to how the "New Message" notification appears on the current touch site, and the notification could appear as a (1) (or (2) and so on) beside the "My forums" text on that same tab in the new mock-up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Can you develop an a through to z tab on the side of the forum list to quickly jump to forum letter similar to on an iPhone's contact list?

Just to head this one off at the pass - this is much harder than it sounds. iOS apps have access to phone features that websites don't and one of them is that nice UITableView with it's awesome A-Z list down the right hand side of a long list.

We spent a considerable amount of time trying to implement one about two months ago but fell short because of various browser issues; support for the things needed to do this (CSS position:fixed) was either non-existent (Android < 2.3, IOS < 5), buggy (IOS5, Android 2.3-4.0) or working fine (IOS6, Android 4.1 or Android 4.0 with Chrome updated).

We currently have something in place for IOS6 and other up to date webkit browsers (e.g. Chrome for Android) that operates just as well as the A-Z index on IOS. I don't see it being backported down to older IOS/Android browsers though, it was frustrating enough the first time.

That isn't to say that the designers may not find another more browser-friendly way to do an A-Z index, just that that particular way of doing A-Z (a fixed list on the page off to a side that scrolls) is next to impossible

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

How about an optional button you can click that brings up a popup with all the letters of the alphabet in it? Still does what you want it to but should be easier to implement than the list on the side?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

a good app would be the way forward.similar to adverts...also on galaxy mini i cant upload any pics with current "attach a photo......."underneath comment box

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Can we get page navigation on the top and bottom of the page?

Maybe I'm the only one that wants it :-/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Elmidena wrote: »
    How about an optional button you can click that brings up a popup with all the letters of the alphabet in it? Still does what you want it to but should be easier to implement than the list on the side?
    Thats what happens for me already! I'm on iOS6 - I guess you need to update either the OS or the android browser you're using as per Danny's post above.

Regarding the navigation at the top, the Pinterest app has the slickest method of showing/hiding the navigation I've ever seen. Basically as soon as you scroll the screen down the navigation disappears, and as soon as you scroll up it reappears. Works beautifully.

Though I guess this not being an app, that functionality would be difficult if not impossible in HTML/CSS/JS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have been using Touch on Android for a while & a few changes would make a big improvement.

I have already mentioned notifications but it's worth repeating as it's such a pain. You post/follow on Touch but the email notification links to the main site. Maybe a follow thread option.

Can we not have a faster scrolling & alphabetical display like with phone contacts. Scrolling to some forums takes forever.

Please put page numbers on the top & bottom of each page.

When you post in a forum there should be an option to add the forum to your "My Forums" list. This would help to make up for the notification problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Rabies wrote: »
    Can we get page navigation on the top and bottom of the page?

Maybe I'm the only one that wants it :-/

Seconded...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Don't use touch that much because I've always found it a pain to use...

But the mock up of the logged in site makes me think I'll definitely use it to browse the site. Really nice.

Said already, but a notification indicator similar to the regular site would be nice. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Discodog wrote: »

I moved your post from Site Development into this thread since there are Touch site changes incoming. For an answer to your specific request for a "Forum Index" on the forum list see my earlier post on this thread

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

My request isn't overly important but seen as your asking for suggestions I might as well throw my two cents in, i'd like to see a button at the bottom of a thread that will allow me to return to the home page. Currently I'm set up to view 40 posts per page, it's great on my PC but on touch it means i have to do a lot of scrolling to get back to the top of the page and hit the BOARDS.IE button to go back home. Either that or an option to limit the touch site to 20 posts per page.

Like I said it's not all that vital but it would make things a bit more user friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

Bloodwing wrote: »
    My request isn't overly important but seen as your asking for suggestions I might as well throw my two cents in, i'd like to see a button at the bottom of a thread that will allow me to return to the home page. Currently I'm set up to view 40 posts per page, it's great on my PC but on touch it means i have to do a lot of scrolling to get back to the top of the page and hit the BOARDS.IE button to go back home. Either that or an option to limit the touch site to 20 posts per page.

Like I said it's not all that vital but it would make things a bit more user friendly.

Are you on iOS? If you tap the status bar where the clock is it will scroll you to the top of the page. If you're on android see about getting an upgrade to a superior phone ;)*

* it's a fair point scrolling on a touch device is a pain in the nads.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Are you on iOS? If you tap the status bar where the clock is it will scroll you to the top of the page. If you're on android see about getting an upgrade to a superior phone ;)*

* it's a fair point scrolling on a touch device is a pain in the nads.

I have an iPad and i use the double tap on it but I normally use the full site so it doesn't make a big difference. My phone is as you guessed an android, I tried to get a superior phone but it turns out they don't make one! :P Even a "Back To Top" button like the full site would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

If you tap the status bar where the clock is it will scroll you to the top of the page. .

You just made my day. Dunno how I never copped that :)

Sauve wrote: »

You just made my day. Dunno how I never copped that :)

Yup it's handy. It's an iOS feature it will work in most if not all apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

After posting in a thread, it would be great if it showed your post rather than going to the top of the page where you have to scroll down again to see it.

• Advertisement

How about infinite scroll? As you scroll down through a thread its posts automatically appear until the end of that thread is reached. That, or a "Load more posts" button at the bottom of the page that will, when pressed, load 10, 20 or 40, for example, more posts. The former would be slicker than the latter, though harder to implement, I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

gvn wrote: »
    How about infinite scroll? As you scroll down through a thread its posts automatically appear until the end of that thread is reached. That, or a "Load more posts" button at the bottom of the page that will, when pressed, load 10, 20 or 40, for example, more posts. The former would be slicker than the latter, though harder to implement, I imagine.

In theory that's a good idea, but if you wanted to navigate to a certain post in a large thread, you'd be scrolling all day to get to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

At this stage I reckon 90% of my browsing is done on my phone.

One issue I have that really bugs me is when an older thread is bumped you get brought to the start of the thread, not your last viewed page. This means you have to hit the last page and start working your way back to find where you last viewed it, which is a PITA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Slidey wrote: »

One issue I have that really bugs me is when an older thread is bumped you get brought to the start of the thread, not your last viewed page. This means you have to hit the last page and start working your way back to find where you last viewed it, which is a PITA
    Agree 100%. The mail link should go to first unread post similar to the main site.

One other small thing. Can the post reply button go above the add photo one. 99.999% of my posts contain no photos. Less scrolling is better.

Would it be possible for a change to be made so that clicking an external link while using an iphone would open up a new tab in safari rather than directing you to the page in your current tab and by extension exiting boards.ie?

Some things you click to read later or you may wish to reference what you're reading to posts in a thread or be formatting a reply while referring to the content in the link.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Would it be possible for a change to be made so that clicking an external link while using an iphone would open up a new tab in safari rather than directing you to the page in your current tab and by extension exiting boards.ie?

Some things you click to read later or you may wish to reference what you're reading to posts in a thread or be formatting a reply while referring to the content in the link.
    Certainly possible for sure. We'll explore it when we come to looking at touch. In the meantime do you know that safari has an "Open in Background" button? If you tap and hold on a link you'll get a context menu that has the following two options:

"Open" - will open link in current tab.
    "Open in Background" - will open in new tab in the background.

Certainly possible for sure. We'll explore it when we come to looking at touch. In the meantime do you know that safari has an "Open in Background" button? If you tap and hold on a link you'll get a context menu that has the following two options:

"Open" - will open link in current tab.
    "Open in Background" - will open in new tab in the background.

Is this not the right thread?

And yep, aware of that option as a workaround but, you know, the less clicking I have to do (or the less I have to think about what I'm clicking) the better it always is. :)

It's the right thread indeed :), I just meant we'll be looking at this thread when we all sit down to actually start making the changes to touch we've got planned, and picking out the good suggestions ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Could we get the advanced search feature on touch please? Also the 'find all posts that quote/thank/etc' links in the account screen maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Slidey wrote: »

Any idea if this will be addressed?

Advertisement