Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-Plane 9 or X-Plane 10 on mid 2007 iMac

• 30-11-2012 2:10pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hoping someone can help me out here. I'm looking to get my hands on a copy of either X-Plane 9 or 10 but my machine is a mid 2007 iMac. 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.

I have downloaded the demos for both and i cant seem to get the right blend of settings for graphics for my hardware meaning I havent found the "sweet spot" yet for FPS.

X-Plane runs very smooth but as there is only one plane to demo, its hard to tell if its a good indicator of performance. But graphically, it can handle more than 10 can.

For a user experience, 10 seems easier to use etc.

Has anyone got a similar set up that can recommend what i should do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You need to first find out how much VRAM is in your machine, it will tell you this in 'System Information' under Hardware Graphics/Displays. Then in X-Plane open Settings/Rendering Options and look at the bottom of the popup panel, that will tell you how much VRAM is currently being used. You need to make sure that you don't exceed the installed VRAM or it will slow things down.

Tweak the FPS/texture resolution/scenery details settings to use as much VRAM as possbile while staying within the installed VRAM and you'll get decent performance. You need to stop & restart after each change in those settings.

I'm running the purchased version (9 DVDs) of X-Plane 9 and have the demo version of 10 on a late 2010 iMac, Intel i3, 8GB RAM, 256MB VRAM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

FYI, X-Plane 10 has the following h/w requirements.....

Systems Requirement:

CPU: 2Ghz dual-core (minimum), 3Ghz Multi-core (recommended). Video Card: 256Mb dedicated (min), 1Gb VRAM recommended,. 2GB RAM (Min), 4GB RAM recommended.

I'd say your machine is the one in the left column here which would indicate that you have 128MB VRAM...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_%28Intel-based%29#Aluminum_iMac

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Took your advice onboard and spent a bit of time with both demos. Ended up ordering X-Plane 9 and it arrived yesterday. Very happy with it. Runs without any problems. I like the apps too that you can download for the iPad that accompany it that are really cool too.

Advertisement