Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odeon Cinema, Charlestown Centre, Finglas

Options
  • 30-11-2012 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what the Bailey Brothers & NAMA are currently building at Charlestown, just between the shopping center and the McDonalds ? Saw the cranes fire up for the first time since 2008 a few weeks back and was wondering.
    I've heard it is more apartments (as if they're needed:rolleyes:) but someone else said it is a multiscreen cinema.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I believe it's a leisure centre and a cinema. Google Charlestown Phase 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

A cinema but at one point there was talk of an ice skating rink. The Dundalk team ice hockey team were going to use it as their home ground but i havent heard anything about that in a long time.

i wonder about the need for another cinema within a couple of miles you have Omni, Coolock, Blanch and all the city centre cinemas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

PLEASE let it be an ice rink

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

It won't be an ice rink.
    Ice rinks are not commercially viable in Ireland. Well unless I am involved :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The planning permission is for a leisure centre and a cinema. That's what's being built.

Definitely no ice-rink.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

irishbird wrote: »
    A cinema but at one point there was talk of an ice skating rink. The Dundalk team ice hockey team were going to use it as their home ground but i havent heard anything about that in a long time.

i wonder about the need for another cinema within a couple of miles you have Omni, Coolock, Blanch and all the city centre cinemas.
    OU812 wrote: »
    PLEASE let it be an ice rink

The Ice Rink was built and removed. It was a seasonal thing and was placed there for xmas 2009 and 2010 but didnt reappear last year due to the ground works being prepared for the cinema.

I look forward to the cinema, and will use it over blanch etc as its closer and within walking distance, obviously depending on finish and films and more importantly, if the nachos are up to standard :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

kceire wrote: »
    The Ice Rink was built and removed. It was a seasonal thing and was placed there for xmas 2009 and 2010 but didnt reappear last year due to the ground works being prepared for the cinema.
    D

no, they were supposed to building a permanent one but that was before the temporary one was built.

the ice hockey team from dundalk were going to use it as their home ground.

this was when he centre was being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

considering half the apartments above the shopping centre are currently empty and the shopping centre itself is like a ghost town most days I wonder whether this is even needed especially given the proximity of Omni, Swords, Blanch and even town. I know when I go the cinema albeit rarely I still go to town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Dotsey wrote: »
    considering half the apartments above the shopping centre are currently empty and the shopping centre itself is like a ghost town most days I wonder whether this is even needed especially given the proximity of Omni, Swords, Blanch and even town. I know when I go the cinema albeit rarely I still go to town

I'd agree with you there about the cinema- there are loads already within a 3-4 mile radius. People from Finglas Ballymun, Poppinntree, etc might use it but it is difficult to see people coming from other areas to use it and passing other decent cinemas to do so.

I think a good few of the apartments above the shopping center have been let- at least on the east side of it above where Eddie Rockets & Ulster Bank. There was a stage in 2010 when about only 15-20% of apartments had lights on at night, nowadays it is more like 60-70% that appear occupied at night so NAMA have been trying to make a few quid back for us worn out taxpayers.

Would love to know what the two beds are renting for over there they're supposed to be quite spacious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Just had a look at the plans here
    http://cms.mol.ie/uploads/Charlestown_Brochure_Nov09.pdf

It's a real throwback to the Celtic Tiger era. Three things stood out for me.

- The lip service paid to the environment -'Emission saving concrete used in construction'. At what level, 5%?

-Not one single mention of the word 'Finglas' anywhere in the whole document. They refer to Charlestown as Charlestown. D11. On all maps they refer to the M50 exit not as the Finglas exit but as 'Junction 5'

- "Proposed Metro West station adjacent to Charlestown Shopping Center"
    Lol, just lol

Ghost town is a bit harsh no? The Dunnes shop is dunnes highest grossing store in the country, that says a lot to me. Its no blanch but it has the basics, if it had a Penny's i would never need to visit blanch again :D
    RATM wrote: »
    People from Finglas Ballymun, Poppinntree, etc might use it but it is difficult to see people coming from other areas to use it and passing other decent cinemas to do so.

Finglas people go to town, or blanch or Omni because theres nothing in finglas, with this cinema, imo, the people that used to travel to omni etc will use it, but i stress again, as per my last post, it will depend on the quality of the cinema, they cant just stick in a crappy screen etc, they need to be on par with Omni etc

I for one will use it over blanch etc due to pure handiness
    RATM wrote: »
    -Not one single mention of the word 'Finglas' anywhere in the whole document. They refer to Charlestown as Charlestown. D11. On all maps they refer to the M50 exit not as the Finglas exit but as 'Junction 5'

In fairness, they all do that :

Joe Duffy BMW
    Denis Mahony Toyota
    Audi North Dublin
    etc
    etc
    etc

Ghost town is a bit harsh no? The Dunnes shop is dunnes highest grossing store in the country, that says a lot to me. Its no blanch but it has the basics, if it had a Penny's i would never need to visit blanch again :D
    It's not harsh at all as I used to be in it regularly when I was working in the area and most times I could count on one hand how many people were in it. I somehow doubt that it grosses more than their shops in Dublin city for example or bigger shopping centres in bigger suburbs, and considering they threatened to pull out of that shopping centre around 18 months ago unless phase 2 was built indicates to me that it in truth is probably one of their least performing shops

It's not harsh at all as I used to be in it regularly when I was working in the area and most times I could count on one hand how many people were in it.

Im in it regularly myself nowadays and its busy all the time. It has taken a lot of custom from Finglas Village too. A sign of how busy it is now a days is the que of taxi's waiting to get onto the rank and the quick turnaround of taxis on the rank. The centre are trying to increase the taxi rank too as there is only 3 spots there at present.
    I somehow doubt that it grosses more than their shops in Dublin city for example or bigger shopping centres in bigger suburbs, and considering they threatened to pull out of that shopping centre around 18 months ago unless phase 2 was built indicates to me that it in truth is probably one of their least performing shops

I didnt think i was true either but i've family in there that told me.

Im in it regularly myself nowadays and its busy all the time. It has taken a lot of custom from Finglas Village too. A sign of how busy it is now a days is the que of taxi's waiting to get onto the rank and the quick turnaround of taxis on the rank. The centre are trying to increase the taxi rank too as there is only 3 spots there at present.
    Every taxi rank in Dublin has queues due to the over supply of taxis.

Its difficult to gauge how much real custom it's took from Finglas village, I know business in the village suffered massively when the GMS offices moved out around 7 or 8 years ago. Plus the village was bought up by a certain McNamara who was to redevelop it and left it sitting idle for 10 years and now it's in NAMA. Most shops didn't put a penny into their premises as they thought they were getting moved to new units which left the place in a heap plus what was the main pub in the Drake has been practically vacant for over 5 years now.

Finglas village is like many other towns and villages who are pricing themselves out of doing business, take the unit that was previously Centra on the Main Street that's now empty the last two months.. rent and rates alone for the year to occupy that is €100k. In my opinion these shopping centres like Charlestown etc have no soul and you will never beat a pumping village but it's a clash of styles that have to compete against each other.

Just thinking about the proposed new cinema screens, there was previously a two-screen cinema in the old Janelle shopping centre where Tesco is now and where Superquinn is in the village was previously a cinema in the 60's and 70's so the track record for cinemas in Finglas isn't good.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i have lived in finglas for 8 years and i have been in the village twice,

there is nothing to bring me there except for the cafe which does a nice breakfast but as i said i have been in it twice in 8 years.

the parking is a nightmare, you cant get a latte, no deli, no bakery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Finglas badly needs a decent bakery. Superquinn is alright and lidl in glasnevin is not bad but would be nice to have one in the village. Superquinn is the only thing keeping the village going

Every taxi rank in Dublin has queues due to the over supply of taxis.

Its difficult to gauge how much real custom it's took from Finglas village, I know business in the village suffered massively when the GMS offices moved out around 7 or 8 years ago. Plus the village was bought up by a certain McNamara who was to redevelop it and left it sitting idle for 10 years and now it's in NAMA. Most shops didn't put a penny into their premises as they thought they were getting moved to new units which left the place in a heap plus what was the main pub in the Drake has been practically vacant for over 5 years now.

Finglas village is like many other towns and villages who are pricing themselves out of doing business, take the unit that was previously Centra on the Main Street that's now empty the last two months.. rent and rates alone for the year to occupy that is €100k. In my opinion these shopping centres like Charlestown etc have no soul and you will never beat a pumping village but it's a clash of styles that have to compete against each other.

Just thinking about the proposed new cinema screens, there was previously a two-screen cinema in the old Janelle shopping centre where Tesco is now and where Superquinn is in the village was previously a cinema in the 60's and 70's so the track record for cinemas in Finglas isn't good.

well we will just have to agree to disagree here as i see it as an invaluable asset to the locality.

I actually live in Finglas, so am well aware of the previous cinemas etc, and from the locals where they go for shopping, or used to go for shopping etc

I know people from Finglas West area that now bypass Dunnes on Cardiffsbridge Road to go to Charlestown. I for one am grateful for it, and will use it well into the future, and am actively awaiting the new cinema as i will use it ahead of the Coolock Odean/Omni when it opens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I was in Charlestown shopping centre yesterday(Sunday) at around 1pm. It was quite busy then, i've always seen it busy on Thurs\Fri evenings and weekends but can't comment on weekday daytime as i'm never there then :)

Its a nice centre, the underground car park is quite handy to protect you from the elements when you're wheeling your shopping out to the car. Don't think any other surburban shopping centre(bar Tesco Darndale) have this on the northside?

gurramok wrote: »
    Its a nice centre, the underground car park is quite handy to protect you from the elements when you're wheeling your shopping out to the car. Don't think any other surburban shopping centre(bar Tesco Darndale) have this on the northside?

And its also free, which helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

And its also free, which helps.
    well for the first two hours anyway. I reckon they'll start pulling on the money from the carparks once the cinema is open.

January wrote: »
    well for the first two hours anyway. I reckon they'll start pulling on the money from the carparks once the cinema is open.

They thing is, when they are busy, they lift the barriers and leave them open. doesnt matter how long you park for, especially weekends.

Hopefully the parking doesnt change when the cinema opens, but it wont affect me as im in walking distance, but it would be great if the cineam validates your parking ticket or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

I can't wait for the cinema to open - I used to go a lot and now can't be bothered, having one so close will be great. It won't be open until this time next year but at least it's finally happening. Thanks Nama!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

I'm looking forward to the cinema opening myself. I agree with previous posters it could do with one or two more larger stores i.e Penny's or Next.

Generally, always busy when I frequent it never the hustle & bustle of Blanch but high volume of people in the Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bicsoi

any update on an opening date?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

bicsoi wrote: »
    any update on an opening date?

Not sure but construction seems to have stopped again unfortunately, or the cranes have been removed anyway.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Not sure but construction seems to have stopped again unfortunately, or the cranes have been removed anyway.

Internal fit out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

There's a Thunders bakery in Charlestown now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Is that good or bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

January wrote: »
    There's a Thunders bakery in Charlestown now too.

Bad. I got some fruit slices the other day. Horrible. Glad to see lidl is going to have a bakery but they only do bread, crossaints etc. No cream cakes or tarts. Still the rolls and paninis will be better than other places offering cdf crap.

Advertisement