Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odeon Cinema, Charlestown Centre, Finglas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

datk wrote: »
    Apparently next summer, although I think I may have heard that somewhere before!! There were problems with it - fit out takes 20 weeks from starting - they don't have a date for starting! Great managing of Nama money - not!

Yeah seems like a right mess... I'll believe it when I'm sat in there watching Star Wars Episode 20

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its just sitting there as a NAMA white elephant. I no longer believe any stories about problems with the fit out as they said that before the summer this year so there was plenty of time to have it sorted by now. Also if you were a cinema operator you'd kinda tend to think that Xmas is an essential time to get open with all the kids movies out and schools on holidays, etc. To come out now and say 'opening next summer' makes me think the operators are making a business decision and holding off till they see the economy pick up and peoples disposable incomes rise. Next summer could just as easily turn into Xmas 2015 :(

Was in Charlestown today and went out to take a look at the building. There are builders back in working away.

Anyone heard anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,861 ✭✭✭✭L1011

June, allegedly, for the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

I asked someone who worked in the Centre and they said they'd heard recently it had all stopped again but to be honest that could have been the last time it stopped. I've lost count of the number of false starts.

I'm hoping it'll be June but I'd have thought there'd be rumblings with signage - job adverts etc. one of the Labour TD's put up an update saying that it was to be the middle of 2015 (but it was supposed to be the end of 2012, then 2013 then ....) and that they couldn't give an exact date. They said the fit out takes 20 weeks from when it starts - they just didn't have an exact start date!!! That was last November.

Anyway cynical me thinks it'll never happen but I'm hoping they'll surprise us!

• Advertisement

Hopefully it does open soon, its been so long now that I dont feel bothered anymore but maybe when it opens I will.

Regardless it seems to me like this was even more money poorly spent by NAMA, they funded it to 'add value' to the complex. There's not much value added by a building with nobody willing to rent it which seems to be whats happened here. At least it opening will change that but it would seem daft to spend all that money building it without having a concrete contract in place with someone to operate it from day one, not from three years after its been built.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Have heard nothing new recently.
    Maybe Bovale are concentrating on getting their residental development opened down the road first to get cash flowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

Walls construction seems to have started construction again on the cinema

Walls construction seems to have started construction again on the cinema

Haven't heard anything new myself. Will check it out this week and see if there's any info floating about.

Apparently it's October - although we've heard that before - I heard Starbucks and TGI Friday's are going in there too. Never heard any names of vendors etc before so hopefully this time it's a go!!!

So long as Ben & Jerry are there!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

This has had more false starts than the Olympic Games. Would really be good to see this phase completed and opened.

Just noticed this morning that theres a newly erected and active crane on site...doing something.

kceire wrote: »
    Just noticed this morning that theres a newly erected and active crane on site...doing something.

Looks to me like the air conditioning is being installed. Drove by the other night and the building was lighting up blue on the inside, blue being the colour of Odeon ;)

Looks to me like the air conditioning is being installed. Drove by the other night and the building was lighting up blue on the inside, blue being the colour of Odeon ;)

Don't tease us like this...

Would they need a crane that big to install air-con? It's a monster crane !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Muahahaha wrote: »

I drove past this afternoon, it's huge!

Muahahaha wrote: »

They could be building something else but it's unlikely at this stage since it takes them so long to fit out an existing building:pac:

They could be building something else but it's unlikely at this stage since it takes them so long to fit out an existing building:pac:

Maybe they're taking the one there down so they can build it again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Could it be there to lift signage into place?

possibly but the thing is about 3 or 4 times the height of the actual cinema, the size of it just seems like a bit of overkill if it is for signage or air con but maybe thats all they could lay their hands on or something

• Advertisement

IKEA only needed a small crane to lift its massive signage up so I doubt it's for signage.Ikea-Install-4-e1358010870908.jpg

Hopefully it's there to lower the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Fridge into place!!!! :p

Definitely Air Conditioning, passed by today and they were lifting the metal bits up.

Looks like we might finally be getting a cinema AT LONG LAST - I'm not too interested in the Leisureplex bit. I could well be tempted by the TGI's & Starbucks though!

Hopefully it'll bring lots more people to the centre and there might be a knock on effect and some of the shops that closed recently will be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

http://www.myhome.ie/commercial/brochure/charlestown-shopping-centre-phase-two-dublin-11/2190261

Could be possible that there will be a Starbucks or TGI's as the same company that runs Leisureplex also owns the Irish franchises for both Starbucks and TGI Fridays. (Entertainment Enterprises). The above link is advertising for occupants restaurantsbut says opening date of 2013!! :-)

TGI's and Starbucks have been confirmed so tis all go!!! Roll on October - or whatever the latest date is!! :D

It's finally happening. 16th October. Charlestown Shopping Centre Facebook page has info up!

Odeon - 9 screens! :D

datk wrote: »
    It's finally happening. 16th October. Charlestown Shopping Centre Facebook page has info up!

Odeon - 9 screens! :D

Wohoo! At last!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Happy Days!

Advertisement