Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Need help answering an electrical question

• 30-11-2012 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

can anyone help me do this question please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Jude_2010 wrote: »
    can anyone help me do this question please?

You should post this on the Physics forum.

The instant you complete a circuit a capacitor acts like a perfect wire (a good conductor/a short circuit). "A long time later" the capacitor acts like a broken wire (open switch) as it is fully charged.

Start by breaking the circuit down into more manageables pieces - show the potential drops across each resistor and the currents.

I think the easiest way to do this is to break the circuit down into the simplest possible and apply the Law of Conservation of Energy - Kirchoff's Loop Rule and maybe the Law of Conservation of Charge - Kirchoff's Junction Rule.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

FISMA wrote: »
    You should post this on the Physics forum.
    Why?
    It is an electrical question.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

OP, try this:

Q =CV

Clue: V is the voltage applied across the capacitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Probably 286.7 uC or so? Or something not even close:D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jude_2010

thanks robbie .. that was the right answer

• Advertisement

thanks robbie .. that was the right answer

Do you know how to get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jude_2010

get the voltage drop across the 1.2K resistor and 'use the formula Q=CV?

get the voltage drop across the 1.2K resistor and 'use the formula Q=CV?

Its actually the voltage drop across the 26k resistor R, that you use, since the capacitor when fully charged through its 10k resistor will be at the same voltage as R, as the cap and 10k are in parallel with the 26k R

Then multiply that voltage, which happens to be 5.7348v x 0.00005 F (50uf) = 0.0002867 C or 286.7 uC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

Jesus christ I only finished in college in March 2011 and this bloody thing fried my brain!

Got there in the end though

god help me in a couple more years :D

superg wrote: »
    Jesus christ I only finished in college in March 2011 and this bloody thing fried my brain!

Got there in the end though

god help me in a couple more years :D

You can do it by ratios as well as by current x resistance to find the voltage across R.

1200 ohm resistor, 26000 ohm resistor. Common denominator = 27200

Ratios are 1200/27200 and 26000/27200 so as voltage drop across R is needed, its 6v x 26000/27200 = 0.9558 which is the fraction of the 6v which is across the 26000 ohm resistor R.

So 6 x 0.9558 will give the voltage across R. And from that you can get the charge on the capacitor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement