Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fjon's reads

Options
  • 30-11-2012 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

Thought I would start one of these to keep track of what I've read in the past year. I'm hoping to start a new one next year and add more details.
    Not the world's fastest reader so I don't expect there to be too many updates!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

9780552776578.jpg

Long time Irving fan but haven't found his latest books very interesting. This was only ok.

%7B5E0EB0FB-3208-4CA2-B37D-DA71BA1D8B83%7DImg100.jpg
    A long sprawling novel, reasonably interesting.

TheReluctantFundamentalist.jpg

I wasn't really expecting too much of this having read many mediocre Pakistani/ Afghan books lately. I was pleasantly surprised though and managed to fly through this very short book.

1D63F49F-E2C0-4BCF-AFAC-FA0EBEFF2A24
    This book did very when published in Italy. I decided to attempt the Italian rather than the English translation (The Solitude of Prime Numbers).
    Interesting story and nicely written. Was pleasantly surprised I can still get through a book in another language.

51QuzhG99IL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not sure how this ended up on my bookshelf.
    Appears to be the only novel by this Derry-based writer.
    Very strange mix of an Arctic exploration story and a domestic break-up story.
    I enjoyed the read though.

• Advertisement

ghost-light.jpg

Some nice writing, but I was quickly bored by the "story". Not great.

bk3264.jpg?v=7
    After listening to some commentaries and interviews by Werner Herzog I really wanted to find out some more about this director. This is the closest I could find.
    There are some great snippets in here but I really wanted more detail. If he ever wrote an autobiography I would rush out to get it.

Tickling%2Bthe%2BEnglish.jpg

Mildly entertaining, but really let down by Dara's endless remarks on how the Irish are so much better than the English at everything.

bookpg_fsog_lg.png

Absolutely awful. Terribly written, totally unrealistic characters and very boring.
    I know I'm not the target audience, but I can't imagine anyone who enjoys reading getting anything out of this.

IdiotAbroad.jpg

I found a free Kindle version of this. Was actually pleasantly surprised by it, some pretty funny moments.

• Advertisement

hunger-games.jpg

Very enjoyable light read. Not sure I'll read the other two though.

MidnightsChildren.jpg

After a lot of lighter books I thought it was time for something a bit heavier.
    This took a while to get through and I found it ok. Didn't love it, didn't hate it.

timetraveler.jpg

A clever concept and a nice love story. I enjoyed this.

9780141030951H.jpg

Finally finished this trilogy. Didn't really care for this too much but wanted to get through it.

the-gathering.jpg

Boring, miserable, didn't like it at all.

41958.jpg

After hearing of her death I thought I would try reading one of her books.
    I must have chosen the wrong one though because this was just awful - unrealistic characters and hardly any story.

notes%2Bon%2Ba%2Bscandal.jpg

After a run of 3 books I didn't enjoy it was good to finally get into something like this. It's a short book so I flew through it, and really enjoyed the characters and story.

d4_9676121_0_CarlosRuizZafn_TheMidnightPalace.jpg

Unlike the Hunger Games this book really feels like it's aimed at teens/ children. I was mildly entertained reading it.

n47905.jpg

I thought I would try to see why this writer was so popular. I'm not much into crime books but don't mind them now and then.

This is one of the worst books I have ever read. I really can't find any redeeming features, it's just horrid.
    And I thought it couldn't get any worse than 50 Shades of Grey.

9780717148431.jpg

Got a loan of this from my mum who has walked part of this route.
    Quite an enjoyable read.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Jesus christ you read all this today!?! :p

Haha, not at all! Just keeping track of what I read in 2012.

2666-by-Roberto-Bolano-001.jpg

This one took 2 months to read - it's a massive book in all senses.
    I'm still unsure what I think about this. There's so much in it I feel you could read it a few times and get something new every time.
    Unfortunately there wasn't really enough story to keep me interested for nearly 1000 pages. The section on the murders was particularly difficult to get through.
    Still would recommend it if you're looking for something meaty to get into.

Advertisement