Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cost - PC vs Console Gaming?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Why are PC gamers such utter knobs about these things? I mean honestly, Im a console gamer and have been since single figures and I wouldnt talk down to anyone the way most PC gamers seem to? Hell, even the Wii had at least one or two games, imo it was the worst console by a long shot but thats just my opinion. PC gamers seem to think their opinion is gospel. PS3, Wii or xbox folk dont get nearly half as defensive by a long way.

Some people just cant take criticisms of their past times. Ill be the first to say PC gaming is probably the best performance platform right now but thats also like saying the Ferrari 458 is the best in car in the world when its simply not. The best IMO is something that balances price with usability , convenience, ease of entry, selection...ie....a great all rounder.

Perhaps its the cost of PC gaming or the time most have to spend in order to get specific performance attributes working correctly that makes them arrogant to the point of being ignorant but it does give one very strong message about PC gaming alright.... that its by far the most hostile and arrogant demographic of gamers.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

mikom wrote: »

Tell me about the how to play online on the Xbox console for free.
    You seem to have it all worked out.

Who in this thread said they play online with their xbox for free.

hightower1 wrote: »
    Why are PC gamers such utter knobs about these things? I mean honestly, Im a console gamer and have been since single figures and I wouldnt talk down to anyone the way most PC gamers seem to? Hell, even the Wii had at least one or two games, imo it was the worst console by a long shot but thats just my opinion. PC gamers seem to think their opinion is gospel. PS3, Wii or xbox folk dont get nearly half as defensive by a long way.

Some people just cant take criticisms of their past times. Ill be the first to say PC gaming is probably the best performance platform right now but thats also like saying the Ferrari 458 is the best in car in the world when its simply not. The best IMO is something that balances price with usability , convenience, ease of entry, selection...ie....a great all rounder.

Perhaps its the cost of PC gaming or the time most have to spend in order to get specific performance attributes working correctly that makes them arrogant to the point of being ignorant but it does give one very strong message about PC gaming alright.... that its by far the most hostile and arrogant demographic of gamers.

I'll tell you why they are such knobs. Because they spend a lot of money (yes, yes they do) and time researching their purchases. So when someone else criticises their decisions, they take it very personally. As if they made a bad call. Thankfully I'm not that unaware of myself, and despite the fact that I mostly game on PC, can see that there are an equal amount of merits to gaming on both platforms, and that console gaming costs far less for most gamers.

Sand wrote: »

Yeah - the cost for gaming. That's the only condition. You can pay less for a lot less. Or you can pay slightly more for a lot more. A chess set is a cheaper gaming option than either a console or a PC but I doubt you'd consider that a win. Its fine if you want to settle for a lot less value for euro spent. I'll get a lot more value if its all the same to you.

I don't require you to believe it, so don't strain yourself. There's no difference that I could see - they're both equally awful value. I went for the bare-bones console in both cases with no games or "extras" bundled with it.

Google couldnt deliver a Euro quote on the HMV website before my interest waned - the sterling quote was 199 GBP which by any exchange rate is more than 204 Euro. The "ridiculous" special offer you saw was just that - an offer to lure in people who didnt otherwise have an X Box, not the going rate.

Look Andy, I get that you prefer playing consoles. Its fine. You don't need to make excuses. You don't need anyone's blessing.

This post is full of nice conveniences... lucky that.

And no, I prefer to game on PC and only own a PC.

I liked your semantic BS about chess sets too, very poetic. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Can I introduce you to Andy?

I'd think the reverse is true to be honest. As Shadowhearth has said you can visit the PC building forum and get plenty of people to offer advice on what to buy at any given price point, how to install it and trouble shooting if needed. All entirely free and in good humour. PC gaming is *really* simple these days. The enduring horror stories of PC gaming that are celebrated by console die-hards are basically from the 1990s - almost 20 years ago.

On the other hand, consoles are still arguing tooth and nail over who gets to second place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Andy!! wrote: »
    Who in this thread said they play online with their xbox for free.

It doesn't need to be said.
    The title of the thread is "The Cost - PC vs Console Gaming"

Is the xbox not a console?
    Should we omit Pc's with amd chips and just judge those with intel chips?

So the Xbox 360.....
    The company announced today that it sold 270,000 units of the console in the US during October 2012. This is the 22nd straight month that the Xbox 360 console has sold more than any other current generation console in the US.
    http://www.neowin.net/news/xbox-360-the-top-console-for-the-22nd-consecutive-month

I played online on my pc last night without a sub.
    How can I do this on the top selling Xbox console without paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Apparently hes a PC gamer and doesn't even own a console !

TROLOLOLOLOL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I'll tell you why they are such knobs. Because they spend a lot of money (yes, yes they do) and time researching their purchases. So when someone else criticises their decisions, they take it very personally. As if they made a bad call. Thankfully I'm not that unaware of myself, and despite the fact that I mostly game on PC, can see that there are an equal amount of merits to gaming on both platforms, and that console gaming costs far less for most gamers.
    And no, I prefer to game on PC and only own a PC.

Right, I'm getting a little confused here. You only own a PC. But "they" ( PC gamers - of which you are not one despite only owning a PC) are knobs. You know this because you mostly prefer to game on a PC despite only owning a PC...

Like I said Andy - its okay. You don't need to make excuses. You prefer playing on a console. Its fine. You don't need to justify that to anyone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Sure just even reading the Far Cry 3 thread even those with the beefiest PC's are having framerate issues.

I dont, i also know many more that dont.
    Your welcome to come to my place and drool for a bit :) or just enjoy some screenshots i posted here :) but the real thing looks sooooo much better .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82042615&postcount=343

As for the commenting on this thread, ill pass ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Did this build in roughly five minutes. Can be cut down and improved on but as it stands would be able to play games at better than console specifications and not to mention adding all the features of being a pc (media center, work center etc)

Item|Price
    HGST Travelstar Z5K320 250GB SATA II|€39,00
    ASRock H61M-S (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX|€40,94
    SAPPHIRE HD 7750 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E HDMI / DVI-I / DP (Lite Retail)|€89,09
    Super-Flower SF400P12P 400W|€26,43
    8GB G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9|€28,50
    Intel Pentium G630 Box, LGA1155|€53,64
    3R Systems Design Gehäuse R370 Black, mATX|€24,85
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€321.44

Throw in a free operating system such as ubuntu, or get windows on the cheap (student edition)

About 100 euro more than a console (cheaper than a Wii U)

Can enjoy all the cheaper titles of having a pc.

PC gaming is cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ah now to be fair the Wii had more than a few great games, Mario Galaxy 1&2, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Madworld, Metroid, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Muramasa and rakes of rpgs, people criticised it for being a casual gamer console but its got some really obscure hardcore games on it.

I'd think the reverse is true to be honest. As Shadowhearth has said you can visit the PC building forum and get plenty of people to offer advice on what to buy at any given price point, how to install it and trouble shooting if needed. All entirely free and in good humour. PC gaming is *really* simple these days. The enduring horror stories of PC gaming that are celebrated by console die-hards are basically from the 1990s - almost 20 years ago.

On the other hand, consoles are still arguing tooth and nail over who gets to second place.

Are you mentally challenged? I dont own an xbox. Nor a PS3. Nor a Wii. Just a PC. So why would you be introducing me?

And please dont cite Shadows fake 'Im a good guy, theres some sweeties in my van' bull**** as 'the pc master race being all round sound lads'. The PC master race is far more elitist, arrogant and hostile than console gamers.

Limericks wrote: »
    Did this build in roughly five minutes. Can be cut down and improved on but as it stands would be able to play games at better than console specifications and not to mention adding all the features of being a pc (media center, work center etc)

Item|Price
    HGST Travelstar Z5K320 250GB SATA II|€39,00
    ASRock H61M-S (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX|€40,94
    SAPPHIRE HD 7750 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E HDMI / DVI-I / DP (Lite Retail)|€89,09
    Super-Flower SF400P12P 400W|€26,43
    8GB G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9|€28,50
    Intel Pentium G630 Box, LGA1155|€53,64
    3R Systems Design Gehäuse R370 Black, mATX|€24,85
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€321.44

Throw in a free operating system such as ubuntu, or get windows on the cheap (student edition)

About 100 euro more than a console (cheaper than a Wii U)

Can enjoy all the cheaper titles of having a pc.

PC gaming is cheaper.

Bollocks. Not only is that still a hundred euro more expensive than an xbox, look at that processor!!!! :D GOOD LUCK playing metro, gta v, bf3 etc. on that!!!!!

Oh and eh, also good luck running those games on ubuntu. Add a windows licence and we hit TWICE the amount it takes to buy an xbox.

It doesn't need to be said.
    The title of the thread is "The Cost - PC vs Console Gaming"

Is the xbox not a console?

Is the Wii a console? PS3? Pay for playing online there do ye?

Is the Wii a console? PS3? Pay for playing online there do ye?

Discount appox half the console gamers out there do ya?
    Very narrow goalposts I see........ and they keep moving.

Discount appox half the console gamers out there do ya?
    Very narrow goalposts I see........ and they keep moving.

Shadow wanted to add xbox live for the tally. I said that if he wants to do that, we have to add a pc subscription of some sort too. Not a difficult concept to grasp. Like for like.

Shadow wanted to add xbox live for the tally. I said that if he wants to do that, we have to add a pc subscription of some sort too. Not a difficult concept to grasp.

I can play online without a sub on my pc.
    No need to add a sub to bump up your numbers.

Why pay when you don't have to.
    This thread is about cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Shadow wanted to add xbox live for the tally. I said that if he wants to do that, we have to add a pc subscription of some sort too. Not a difficult concept to grasp. Like for like.

but you dont pay to play all pc games online, only a fraction of them, you do pay to play xbox games online, all of them.

for my gaming habits right now my ps3 suits me fine, I watch all my movies through it, either on blu-ray or by the connected HDD, netflix too, the majority of games I play are on it even though I have an xbox too, so that suits me down to the ground.

I'll be getting a pc again once/if (hopefully once) Half Life 3 ever comes out though :pac:

Bollocks. Not only is that still a hundred euro more expensive than an xbox, look at that processor!!!! :D GOOD LUCK playing metro, gta v, bf3 etc. on that!!!!!

Oh and eh, also good luck running those games on ubuntu. Add a windows licence and we hit TWICE the amount it takes to buy an xbox.

Tell that to my friend who is running the g620 (the one below it) and is playing most of the games I play just grand. Maybe he can't play all games at ultra but he can play them at medium- high and certainly higher than what a console can output.

I can guarantee you the amount of games that ubuntu can run is a multiple of the amount of console titles.

By the way - cheap windows 7 - http://www.software4students.ie/products/microsoft-windows-7-professional-upgrade

Can be found cheaper again but can't be arsed.

I can play online without a sub on my pc.

I can do that on consoles too.

• Advertisement

I can do that on consoles too.

A half truth.

Not on an Xbox you can't.

krudler wrote: »

but you dont pay to play all pc games online, only a fraction of them, you do pay to play xbox games online, all of them.

for my gaming habits right now my ps3 suits me fine, I watch all my movies through it, either on blu-ray or by the connected HDD, netflix too, the majority of games I play are on it even though I have an xbox too, so that suits me down to the ground.

I'll be getting a pc again once/if (hopefully once) Half Life 3 ever comes out though :pac:

I agree with everything youre saying.

Forgot to include bluray! But then again, this is just about gaming. Bluray requires another hundred including software to get up and running on PC.

A half truth

Im playing your game ;)

Im playing your game ;)

Not online you're not.

I agree with everything youre saying.

Forgot to include bluray! But then again, this is just about gaming. Bluray requires another hundred including software to get up and running on PC.

You really should get up to date on hardware prices if you want your argument to be valid.

http://lb.hardwareversand.de/S-ATA/56482/LiteOn+iHES112-115+bulk.article
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/LiteOn-IHOS104-06-Internal-Blu-ray-Software/dp/B0079GI0OQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354480345&sr=8-2

Free software:
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
    http://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

Tell that to my friend who is running the g620 (the one below it) and is playing most of the games I play just grand. Maybe he can't play all games at ultra but he can play them at medium- high and certainly higher than what a console can output.

I can guarantee you the amount of games that ubuntu can run is a multiple of the amount of console titles.

By the way - cheap windows 7 - http://www.software4students.ie/products/microsoft-windows-7-professional-upgrade

Can be found cheaper again but can't be arsed.

No it cant, but thanks for that. Im still running on a trial.

And regarding the processor... nah. That processor dont come close to minimum spec on the back of new game release boxes.

And youre STILL spending a hundred more than if youd bought a console.

BDs require extra software. That costs around 70. That is, from what Ive heard from guys in the PC building forum. You think I dont know about VLC? Lol.

And regarding the processor... nah. That processor dont come close to minimum spec on the back of new game release boxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbW73RUBSs4

BF3 played with a g630. took me about 10 seconds to find it.
    BDs require extra software.
    VLC and media player classic with the correct codecs work just fine with Blu Rays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

You clearly are talking out of your arse because a celeron can run games pretty well when paired with an okay GFX card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

BDs require extra software. That costs around 70. That is, from what Ive heard from guys in the PC building forum. You think I dont know about VLC? Lol.

http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/

Minimum/Recommended spec tend not to be worth much. I've never found them to be accurate anyway. I think they all specify i3s or whatever just to cover themselves. Would i use that processor for gaming, no but the point is that you can so long as the settings (and expectations) are lowered.

Advertisement