Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cost - PC vs Console Gaming?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/

Minimum/Recommended spec tend not to be worth much. I've never found them to be accurate anyway. I think they all specify i3s or whatever just to cover themselves. Would i use that processor for gaming, no but the point is that you can so long as the settings (and expectations) are lowered.

Well the info concerning the BDs comes from the pc building forum so if thats the case then so be it. This thread is about gaming, so its not even worth mentioning the failure rate of pc BD drives.

And yeh, why would you give weight to minimum specs. They are only written by the games coders.

We are still coming out a clean hundred here folks. At least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Andy!! wrote: »
    Well the info concerning the BDs comes from the pc building forum so if thats the case then so be it. This thread is about gaming, so its not even worth mentioning the failure rate of pc BD drives.

And yeh, why would you give weight to minimum specs. They are only written by the games coders.

A clean hundred that is mitigated with your first few games purchases or instantly if you include the free to play library of games or the cost of xbox live on the xbox side of things.

As has been stated, game min specifications are more of a catch all for publishers so if a game doesn't run they can say "Oh you should of read the box" the fact of the matter is the games will run just fine.

BF3 minimum specs for CPU: Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or Althon X2 2.7 GHz

yet runs just fine on the g630?

It has been proven over and over again that PC gaming is cheaper. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Wow, what a thread, I think it's near your bedtime Andy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Limericks wrote: »
    A clean hundred that is mitigated with your first few games purchases or instantly if you include the free to play library of games or the cost of xbox live on the xbox side of things.

As has been stated, game min specifications are more of a catch all for publishers so if a game doesn't run they can say "Oh you should of read the box" the fact of the matter is the games will run just fine.

Fluff games ted, fluff games......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

You brought up Blu-ray. I can't speak for others but I've dropped physical media entirely (yet can still watch glorious 1080p content) so as far as I'm concerned it doesn't need to be included at all.

Sometimes I think the minimum specs are written by marketers they bear so little relation to real life. Normally, if you're borderline, it's a case of doing some research rather than relying on what the box says.

I do agree with you that a copy of Windows should be included as, let's face it, the majority of big releases are windows only. I also agree that the initial investment will be more than a console but, as others have pointed out, there are specs that come close and work (though I'd be spending a bit more if it were for myself).

• Advertisement

Sorry. I meant two hundred. Forgot the windows licence. There is a tenner between pc and xbox versions of BLOPS2. You would have to buy twenty games to even out. Good luck in getting even 5 of them running. Metro, far cry 3, ac3... aint happening. Maybe fifa.

Pogmothoin its 6.08AM here, I think I missed out on bed time today. Happens when youre playing games sometimes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Sorry. I meant two hundred. Forgot the windows licence. There is a tenner between pc and xbox versions of BLOPS2. You would have to buy twenty games to even out. Good luck in getting even 5 of them running. Metro, far cry 3, ac3... aint happening. Maybe fifa.

Pogmothoin its 6.08AM here, I think I missed out on bed time today. Happens when youre playing games sometimes.

Bang on the money as usual Andy, sure the G630 would never run BF3. The Athlon X2 265 is a much more powerful CPU, right?.

http://www.techspot.com/review/458-battlefield-3-performance/page7.html

marco_polo wrote: »

Bang on the money as usual Andy, sure the G630 would never run BF3. The Athlon X2 265 is a much more powerful CPU, right?.

http://www.techspot.com/review/458-battlefield-3-performance/page7.html

Did I mention bf3 in that post you quoted.

And we STILL got 150 to make up IF you can get a student to get you a licence.

I guarantee you any game that the xbox360/ps3 can run that pc I listed can run it at equivalent and in most cases better graphics/ performance.

Blops2 is 30 euro here: http://www.cdkeyhouse.com/steam-keys/271-call-of-duty-black-ops-2-rus-cdkey-steam.html?a_aid=1337

Xbox360 = 30fps at 720p, dx9
    ps3 = 30fps at 720p opengl

PC that I listed will run games at higher FPS at 1080p and directx 11.1 and for cheaper.

I guarantee you any game that the xbox360/ps3 can run that pc I listed can run it at equivalent and in most cases better graphics/ performance.

Blops2 is 30 euro here: http://www.cdkeyhouse.com/steam-keys/271-call-of-duty-black-ops-2-rus-cdkey-steam.html?a_aid=1337

Xbox360 = 30fps at 720p, dx9
    ps3 = 30fps at 720p opengl

PC that I listed will run games at higher FPS at 1080p and directx 11.1 and for cheaper.

you walk into a shop theres a tenner difference. I cannot prove how legit cdkeyhouse is.

And yeh youll need proof for your other claims too.

And BLOPS2 only running at 720 on PS3? No 1080 whatsoever? I would be surprised. I would also be surprised to find that it doesnt run at 60 on consoles. Could have sworn that was a major point of the marketing strategy. Could have been RAGE either. Good luck running RAGE on a g630 too.

And you still got 150 to make up. Putting aside the fact that you have just flushed 320 quid on a turd that wont game past six months.

• Advertisement

you walk into a shop theres a tenner difference. I cannot prove how legit cdkeyhouse is.

And yeh youll need proof for your other claims too.

And BLOPS2 only running at 720 on PS3? No 1080 whatsoever? I would be surprised. I would also be surprised to find that it doesnt run at 60 on consoles. Could have sworn that was a major point of the marketing strategy. Could have been RAGE either. Good luck running RAGE on a g630 too.

And you still got 150 to make up. Putting aside the fact that you have just flushed 320 quid on a turd that wont game past six months.

Last gen consoles which is what the ps3 and xbox360 are since the wii u was launched only run at 720p with upscaling and at 30 frames per second. You think 7 year old hardware can run at 60 frames per second and at 1080p even at the low setting of graphics they are at?

I don't have proof cd key house sells legit keys other than the fact I have been using them and other like them for the last 3 years.

As for proof for my other claim that the PC with 2 year old hardware will outperform 7 year old hardware? I think it speaks for itself.

As for not being able to game past 6 months i doubt it. I would eat my hat if it didnt outlast the ps3 and xbox and again at higher settings and directx 11.1

You are ignoring the fact that pc gaming is cheaper. Do I need to post my list of games again which I got for less than a grand (214 of them)?

You will make it up quite fast. Believe me that (Which you won't, but whatever)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Right this charade has gone on too long, I'm putting a stop to it because it's starting to turn to name calling.

Can we please stop the consolevs PC flamewar.

Andy, please stop posting ill informed nonsense as well. You're the only one on here trolling with contradictory opinions that have no basis on fact and you've done this before.

Keep it calm beyond this post, I don't want to have to close a thread that started off so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Slightly higher res than the consoles though I'd imagine it could be pushed further if the settings were lowered.

Average 32 FPS which again is slightly higher than consoles for a much better looking game.

Obviously I have no way of verifying if this indeed is running on the stated hardware, it's the internet afterall where guys are guys, girls are guys and kids are gardaí. However, if true it does add credence to Limerick's spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Are you mentally challenged?

I've had two reported posts about your argumentative, confrontational posts on this thread. The thread has been pretty entertaining, but cut this crap out please or I'm locking it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Bollocks. Not only is that still a hundred euro more expensive than an xbox, look at that processor!!!! :D GOOD LUCK playing metro, gta v, bf3 etc. on that!!!!!

Oh and eh, also good luck running those games on ubuntu. Add a windows licence and we hit TWICE the amount it takes to buy an xbox.
    Did I mention bf3 in that post you quoted.

And we STILL got 150 to make up IF you can get a student to get you a licence.

Luckily enough you mentioned it barely one page ago, so for once you can't wiggle your way out of this one.

Is there any particular reason we could expect a CPU that can comfortably run BF3 on high 1080p setting just fine not to be able to manage the same with Metro 2033,far cry 3 or ACIII for example?

As to the 150 euro difference as it so happens the whole point of this thread is whether or not you would make that back over the longer term.

A thread which was actually quite interesting until a few pages ago. I'm sure it is pure coincidence that this changed around the same time you started contributing.

EDIT: Sorry Retro only saw this now.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Right this charade has gone on too long, I'm putting a stop to it because it's starting to turn to name calling.

Can we please stop the consolevs PC flamewar.

Andy, please stop posting ill informed nonsense as well. You're the only one on here trolling with contradictory opinions that have no basis on fact and you've done this before.

Keep it calm beyond this post, I don't want to have to close a thread that started off so well.

Im not ignoring the fact as it is not a fact, it is a heavily biased opinion. Console gaming is cheaper. It would take somewhere between 10 and 20 games to even the scales. Most of those, you do NOT want to be running of a g630. If it was grand to so, the PC building forum wouldnt be swimming in 3750K recommendations.

Prove they are ill-informed. Right now.

Glad the worst, most un-impartial moderator on boards has turned up. How many times you infracted me now retro huh? Banned me cause I called you out for trolling other peoples threads? Cause thats calling into question a mods actions, which is against the charter, so people like you can do whatever the please!

My info is correct. Prove otherwise or BE QUIET.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

No it doesnt. If you have an internet connection you can find console titles for the same price as PC games.
    You can't price match on pc and console games on release. The cheapest you're likely to get a brand new release on a console is around 40. The cheapest PC new release that i've gotten this year was Max Payne 3 for 21 euro. I average at just under 30 for most new releases on PC. Then add in steam sales and I play every game that I wanted to get plus some. If 30 seems expensive you don't have to hold out long for excessively good value sales.

I still console game for playstation and 360 exclusives(or if pc gets a particularly bad port) but I prefer to have a hub that I can game, use the internet, photo edit, watch movies & tv and do college work on. My pc gets the greatest utility out of anything that I own and it wasn't even particularly expensive.

Also, I tend to find gems that I've never heard through buying humble bundles, so what if there's the odd bad game in the bundle. The return on whatever price you choose is fantastic.
    I agree with everything youre saying.

Forgot to include bluray! But then again, this is just about gaming. Bluray requires another hundred including software to get up and running on PC.
    I got a bluray drive around 7 months ago and it cost me a grand total of 50 euro, software included.....

Mr E wrote: »

I've had two reported posts about your argumentative, confrontational posts on this thread. The thread has been pretty entertaining, but cut this crap out please or I'm locking it.

What would you like me to do. I stated something several times, he ignored this and deliberately caused confrontation.

Corkfeen wrote: »
    You can't price match on pc and console games on release. The cheapest you're likely to get a brand new release on a console is around 40. The cheapest PC new release that i've gotten this year was Max Payne 3 for 21 euro. I average at just under 30 for most new releases on PC. Then add in steam sales and I play every game that I wanted to get plus some. If 30 seems expensive you don't have to hold out long for excessively good value sales.

I still console game for playstation and 360 exclusives(or if pc gets a particularly bad port) but I prefer to have a hub that I can game, use the internet, photo edit, watch movies & tv and do college work on. My pc gets the greatest utility out of anything that I own and it wasn't even particularly expensive.

Also, I tend to find gems that I've never heard through buying humble bundles, so what if there's the odd bad game in the bundle. The return on whatever price you choose is fantastic.

I got a bluray drive around 7 months ago and it cost me a grand total of 50 euro, software included.....

PC gaming is great, I aint denying it. But console gaming is cheaper pound for pound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It's you versus the world on this thread, Andy. That's what's causing the confrontation.

Im not ignoring the fact as it is not a fact, it is a heavily biased opinion. Console gaming is cheaper. It would take somewhere between 10 and 20 games to even the scales. Most of those, you do NOT want to be running of a g630. If it was grand to so, the PC building forum wouldnt be swimming in 3750K recommendations.

It would take about 5 games to even the scales. Or like has been said before instantly in the xbox case or instantly in any case if you include free to play games.

The mods asked you to stop posting misinformed information so I will go ahead and correct you about the 3570K (3750K?).

The reason this is recommended in higher budget builds is because that processor will live for another 5-8 years compared the the g620 which will live for the next 2-3 years in terms of being able to play games past minimum accepted quality.

My informed opinion is that the g630 will outperform and outlive the last generation of consoles (again, ps3, xbox360 and the original wii)

You will save allot over the long term by getting the pc over the xbox or ps3.

Mod's I am trying to show that it is cheaper in the longterm to have a PC rather then a console. I am not trying to fan an argument and am only posting my informed and non biased opinion as I am also a console fan. I hope you see it as that and not a troll.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

pc gaming is more expensing than reading books

Mr E wrote: »
    It's you versus the world on this thread, Andy. That's what's causing the confrontation.

No, there have been several in here agreeing with me chief. But the master race are very loud ;)

If youll kindly leave it open till the morn I can get to a PC and prove it once and for all but Im posting from a phone at the moment.

The mods asked you to stop posting misinformed information so I will go ahead and correct you

All the proof we need, folks.

Dressing up a 'typo' as 'misinformed information'.

Glad you did that to yourself Limericks. Showed you bias. I dont think kissing butt will help with the mods either. Well, it might with one...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Glad the worst, most un-impartial moderator on boards has turned up. How many times you infracted me now retro huh? Banned me cause I called you out for trolling other peoples threads? Cause thats calling into question a mods actions, which is against the charter, so people like you can do whatever the please!

Oh give it a break. Any time I've infracted you or banned you there has been a very good reason for it and the strange thing was that once you were taken out of the equation the threads managed to return to having normal, entertaining discussion. Strange that. Don't bother replying, you're skating on thin ice as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

PC gaming is great, I aint denying it. But console gaming is cheaper pound for pound.

But you haven't even attempted to refute my point..... You claimed that you can get a console game for the same price as for PC. This is simply untrue. A computer may cost a couple of hundred more but offers greater overall utility, so it makes up for any added expense which in itself is negligible.

PC gaming around 7 or 8 years ago was an excessively expensive hobby but it is no longer a massive expense.

Corkfeen wrote: »

But you haven't even attempted to refute my point..... You claimed that you can get a console game for the same price as a PC game

I never said that. Im saying that as a hobby, console gaming is the cheaper one.

Oh give it a break. Any time I've infracted you or banned you there has been a very good reason for it.

No. Remember the FF7 thread? People wanting to talk about their positive experience of it? You ruining it by being every fifth post in the thread going on how **** it was because of asinine things like translation??? I called you out for that, two week ban. Thats just how you roll Retro. You should not be a mod.

• Advertisement

No. Remember the FF7 thread? People wanting to talk about their positive experience of it? You ruining it by being every fifth post in the thread going on how **** it was because of asinine things like translation??? I called you out for that, two week ban. Thats just how you roll Retro. You should not be a mod.

Yeah the one that you absolutely ruined and then once you left turned back to a decent discussion.

Oh and enjoy your two week break.

Advertisement