Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cost - PC vs Console Gaming?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The wii games can be emulated well on PC if you buy the controller :P

You can buy the actual disk so you don't feel bad about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Magill wrote: »
    Damn u... im pretty sure hes an xbox gamer tho ! :P

xbox vs ps3 game exclusivity is a whole other argument :pac:

All consoles have their ups and downs, paid/free online play, exclusives, better ports depending on which platform was the lead development one, controller preference etc etc etc the list is endless. #1 reason for me is the games, a console can have all the tech bells and whistles it wants but if the games are dreck then whats the point.

this thread is really tempting me to build a pc again, my bank account won't like it one bit.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

areyawell wrote: »

1000 euro for a gaming PC really? Why spend that much?

I built a gaming PC 440 which is capable of running 90% of games at max resolution on high settings. A 440 euro PC kills the xbox 360.
    My 440 euro PC can play Skyrim at 1080P and max settings

Future proofing, thats why. When youre having to spend another 500, I wont have to.

Also LOL at every PC elitist in here claiming that exclusives on PC compare in any way to console exclusives. For RTS, yes, absolutely. But otherwise, NOOOOOOOO......

Metal Gear series
    Uncharted series
    Gears of War series
    Games by Team Ico and the Journey guys
    That new version of SFIII, tragically only available on consoles
    God of War

And a ton of other IPs.

But again people, this thread is about the COST. And no, a 400 euro PC will not get you something that compares to an xbox and CERTAINLY not a PS3 (I like how PC people are not referring to THAT). Console games actually look pretty damn good, barring the occasional title like Battlefield. Because games these days are actually developed for consoles, mostly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Andy!! wrote: »
    Future proofing, thats why. When youre having to spend another 500, I wont have to.

440+500 < 1000
    No such thing as future proofing.

If you pay more now it's to be able to run games at higher settings. But buying fairly medium spec hardware is the most cost effective.
    The more you spend the more you lose through depreciation.

tuxy wrote: »
    No such thing as future proofing.

LOL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

LOL!

LOL! back at you.

Anything above med spec these days is a e-penis enlargement territory. Future proofing is a thing of the past. These days if you are smart, you will buy best bang for the money stuff and then just resell old stuff and buy new technology.

example: i have ati 6870 which costed me 170eu, but when i built new pc i bought gtx 570, which was 320eu back then. so twice the price? twice the performance? no, it was only 10% faster then 6870. More money does not mean huge amounts of performance. You need to buy SMART, not 1000eu PC

i dont know why exclusive games mentioned too as each platform hasthem and thats just a matter of preference in the end of the day.

and big fat YES, 440eu pc will outrun xbox/ps3 in visual performance. i am not even talking about the rest. BF3 440eu can run on full 64maps on 1080p with very high settings, wheres xbox can run only 24 people maps, lower then low settings on PC. ( i have both version and i have seen poligon pop ins and shape changes, with camera position changes, 720p resolution and general low graphicss). Before some fan boy attacks me, there is nothing wrong in playing bf3 on console if you like it, but if we compare pc with console visually then lets be a bit realisitc, shall we?

LOL! back at you.

Anything above med spec these days is a e-penis enlargement territory. Future proofing is a thing of the past. These days if you are smart, you will buy best bang for the money stuff and then just resell old stuff and buy new technology.

example: i have ati 6870 which costed me 170eu, but when i built new pc i bought gtx 570, which was 320eu back then. so twice the price? twice the performance? no, it was only 10% faster then 6870. More money does not mean huge amounts of performance. You need to buy SMART, not 1000eu

Eh first of all, I have a 660ti, so yes my pc was built to last but it is in no way e-peen worthy. So maybe you should know what you are talking about before you open yer yapper. And I did buy smart, as I use CUDA and multi-threading on my PC. I didnt throw a bunch of money at a PC manufacturer, I made a PC for as cheap as I could, but still, one that would last. I wish I could have sprung for a K processor but because I was trying to be economical I didnt.

And all you said about running games decently on a 400euro PC is BS. A whole PC for 400? With windows licences being 80 alone? Nah. A PC that rivals a PS3 is gonna run you 700 probably, at the least.

Eh first of all, I have a 660ti, so yes my pc was built to last but it is in no way e-peen worthy. So maybe you should know what you are talking about before you open yer yapper. And I did buy smart, as I use CUDA and multi-threading on my PC. I didnt throw a bunch of money at a PC manufacturer, I made a PC for as cheap as I could, but still, one that would last. I wish I could have sprung for a K processor but because I was trying to be economical I didnt.

And all you said about running games decently on a 400euro PC is BS. A whole PC for 400? With windows licences being 80 alone? Nah. A PC that rivals a PS3 is gonna run you 700 probably, at the least.

/facepalm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't get this at all. I've PC and consoles xbox360 ps1/2/3. Am I some sort of fence sitter?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I don't get this at all. I've PC and consoles xbox360 ps1/2/3. Am I some sort of fence sitter?

tumblr_mbclvfkrhI1rubjl2o1_400.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Also LOL at every PC elitist in here claiming that exclusives on PC compare in any way to console exclusives. For RTS, yes, absolutely. But otherwise, NOOOOOOOO......

Metal Gear series
    Uncharted series
    Gears of War series
    Games by Team Ico and the Journey guys
    That new version of SFIII, tragically only available on consoles
    God of War

And a ton of other IPs.

But again people, this thread is about the COST. And no, a 400 euro PC will not get you something that compares to an xbox and CERTAINLY not a PS3 (I like how PC people are not referring to THAT). Console games actually look pretty damn good, barring the occasional title like Battlefield. Because games these days are actually developed for consoles, mostly.

Besides naming games from different platforms... you really don't have a clue about PC exclusives it seems.

RTS games

Total War series
    Warcraft series
    Civilization Series
    Starcraft Series
    Command and Conquer Series
    Warhammer series
    Single titles like Company of heroes/World in Conflict + a **** ton more i KNOW im forgetting

FPS games

Tribes
    Team Fortress
    Natural Selection
    Arma
    Dayz/Warz
    Quake
    Blacklight
    CS
    Planetside
    Red Orchestra
    Stalker
    Metro
    And again.. i know theres a LOT i missed

RPG's

World of warcraft
    Guildwars
    The Old Republic + A load of other MMORPG's
    The witcher (I think the second may have come out on one of the consoles... not sure)
    Torchlight
    Diablo
    Path of Exile
    etc

Indie games

Im really not gonna list them.

Platforming games and probably beat em ups are really the only advantage console games have in terms of exclusive titles imo

/facepalm

Pathetic reply. I guess some people can't fight the truth but can't own up to their folly either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Nope for about €500 (inc a windows license and kb/m) you can build a pc that will hammer a ps3 on performance.

Very few games on the consoles are 1080p, for example BF3 is 1280x704 on DX9 and is capped at 30FPS on PC equivalent of Low settings

the €440 pc shown above is very capable of 1080p running Dx11 at medium settings.

Besides naming games from different platforms... you really don't have a clue about PC exclusives it seems.

RTS games

Total War series
    Warcraft series
    Civilization Series
    Starcraft Series
    Command and Conquer Series
    Warhammer series
    Single titles like Company of heroes/World in Conflict + a **** ton more i KNOW im forgetting

FPS games

Tribes
    Team Fortress
    Natural Selection
    Arma
    Dayz/Warz
    Quake
    Blacklight
    CS
    Planetside
    Red Orchestra
    Stalker
    Metro
    And again.. i know theres a LOT i missed

RPG's

World of warcraft
    Guildwars
    The Old Republic + A load of other MMORPG's
    The witcher (I think the second may have come out on one of the consoles... not sure)
    Torchlight
    Diablo
    Path of Exile
    etc

Indie games

Im really not gonna list them.

Platforming games and probably beat em ups are really the only advantage console games have an advantage imo

Quake never made it to consoles? Oh, yeah... every one ever released actually did. Then you list C&C and The Witcher there too lol... I reckon you need to go fact check. Oh and lots of indie titles get released on XBLA and PSN.

EDIT: AND Metro, jesus. Seriously fact check before you post lad.

nope, you are one of those " i got all of the gaming devices and i play all of them, so i am neutral, now like me for being neutral, because i am better then others, neutral, though deep inside i do like some one platform ( which is okay), but i wont say it as i want to be neutral and beloved" ;)

most of PC gamers got all of the consoles. i got 2xgaming PCs, xbox 360, ps3, ps vita, 3ds and i am looking in to wii U too. For example i love playing 3ds and ps vita when i dont play on PC.
    I got the chance to taste all the given gaming devices, so i am not a fanboy of one platform, just because i own one particular platform. I love platform, which makes the best of my money and gives me the best entertainment. saying this i never say NO, to a game, just because its on different gaming device, for example i got few days ago Resident evil revalations on 3ds and i really love it, but if there is a multiplatform release i know i will go for PC hands down, up, sideways. For years and years this is my main gaming device.

The way i see this thread is to show people, who never experienced PC gaming more information, costs, benefits of the gaming platform, which is a mystery to them. A lot of gamers know a lot more myths, then facts about platform. this makes them overlook one of the best platforms for gaming known for generations.
    Some people are open minded and learn something new, and if they wont go tomorrow and buy a PC, they will still have info and have a more clear vision of what PC gaming is and maybe someday will go that way too.
    Some people are pure thick individuals, which point blank refuse to learn something new or see things with more open mind. they got stuck in their heads vision, which is mostly created by old information, myths, lack of knowladge and most important - by other thick individuals. I am afraid this part of gamers is lost and they shut down a huge gaming world for themselfs.
    we still can help the open minded, true gamers ( which have not played on pc before in their life. just because you play on pc, that does not make you a "gamer" too btw) to find a huge world of games, that they cannot experience on a console.

NTMK wrote: »

Nope for about €500 (inc a windows license and kb/m) you can build a pc that will hammer a ps3 on performance.

Very few games on the consoles are 1080p, for example BF3 is 1280x704 on DX9 and is capped at 30FPS on PC equivalent of Low settings

the €440 pc shown above is very capable of 1080p running Dx11 at medium settings.

I find it very convenient that the PC elitists in this thread keep citing BF3 as a comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I find it very convenient that the PC elitists in this thread keep citing BF3 as a comparison.

Name a game and i garauntee the PC will beat it
    and Im not an elitist BTW i have at one stage owned every console this gen and last and will be buying a WiiU if/when theres a title imo worth buying on it. theres absolutely no reason not own at least one of this gens consoles

Quake never made it to consoles? Oh, yeah... every one ever released actually did. Then you list C&C and The Witcher there too lol... I reckon you need to go fact check. Oh and lots of indie titles get released on XBLA and PSN.

Quake on console.... sorry, its not a quake... playing quake with controller is like giving your family jewels to a bunch of rabit badgers. quake 2 was released on Ps1. No one ever plays it on PS1 and Quake 2 is still being played online.

C&C - lol, its an RTS, any RTS will play a lot better on PC. sorry, consoles cannot do RTS well, they just cant. I wanted to say that consoles can handle other genres better, but i just remembered that 5mins ago i played dark souls with xbox controller... come to think of it i played driver with controller too... so console cannot do anything better anymore. ( exclusives not included )

Witcher - Witcher 1, will never be released on Xbox. ( or maybe? ). as for witcher 2- i am just so HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY! that it was released on on console and i take my hat of for CD project RED, for giving such an amazing game to more people. no matter what platform, its a great game.

Indy scene? sorry, but you dont have a freaking clue about it, PC has a great indy libary, which being updated very often, because small indy developers are not being pushed back by big boys sony and MS.

NTMK wrote: »

Name a game and i garauntee the PC will beat it
    and Im not an elitist BTW i have at one stage owned every console this gen and last and will be buying a WiiU if/when theres a title imo worth buying on it. theres absolutely no reason not own at least one of this gens consoles

If youre a purchaser of consoles I cannot see how you can think PC gaming is cheaper. It really isnt. I can say that after years of console and PC playing. That is the thread topic. Not 'what format is better'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Nice argument, i list about 30 games off the cuff and you come back with 3 or 4 that are debatable multi-plats. Quake live (The current quake) isn't available on ps3/xbox, yes you could go back and play Q3 on dreamcast.. by yourself. The witcher isn't available on console (Like i said, i wasn't sure on the second one). The new C&C game being released next year is a PC exclusive.

I never even listed games like Dota2 or LoL.. League of legends having a playerbase bigger than call of duty on all platforms combined etc.

Some of the console exclusive IP's are great, its why i own a PS3/Xbox/Wii. But to try and argue that PC exclusives are in no way a match for either of the consoles is laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Big ****ing deal, a modern PC can outperform a 6/7 year old console.

The 360 cost €410 in Ireland at launch, and if you had an Irish launch 360 it would be 7 years old today.

A €410 PC excluding OS, KB/M, and display would not be playing BF3 today even near to a 7+ year old console.

Varik wrote: »

The 360 cost €410 in Ireland at launch, and if you had an Irish launch 360 it would be 7 years old today.

A €410 PC excluding OS, KB/M, and display would not be playing BF3 today even near to a 7+ year old console.

i wonder how many people still own 20gb xbox 360 from launch and use it daily with **** loads of gaming?

Exactly.

Its the 360s Irish birthday today? Happy bday 360 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Well to be fair I don't know of many people who have had a launch 360 that hasn't died on them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Burgo wrote: »

Well to be fair I don't know of many people who have had a launch 360 that hasn't died on them :pac:

Exactly, Most heavy gamers I know are on their second or third console

i wonder how many people still own 20gb xbox 360 from launch and use it daily with **** loads of gaming?

I changed my out early in 2008 so (4+) for the 60GB HDMI ones as many likely did as well, which to trade it was at my own cost but with MS warranty you could still have a 360 after only paying once for it in 2005.

Still have my Launch PS3 and that's still going, and getting a load of play still.

I changed my out early in 2008 so (4+) for the 60GB HDMI ones as many likely did as well, which to trade it was at my own cost but with MS warranty you could still have a 360 after only paying once for it in 2005.

Still have my Launch PS3 and that's still going, and getting a load of play still.

i got launch 20gb and ps3, but that does not mean we are majority.

Hands up who can play Arkham City to the same visual quality as the 360 on a seven year old PC.

Yah thats what I thought.

Its comical now how the elitists in this thread insist on pulling the topic off course. Its more expensive to be a pc gamer. End of.

(Thats not neccesarily a bad thing either. Its just a fact.)

i got launch 20gb and ps3, but that does not mean we are majority.

Never said I/we were, simply pointing out the fact that those comparing cost are not comparing like for like.

• Advertisement

Nice argument, i list about 30 games off the cuff and you come back with 3 or 4 that are debatable multi-plats. Quake live (The current quake) isn't available on ps3/xbox, yes you could go back and play Q3 on dreamcast.. by yourself. The witcher isn't available on console (Like i said, i wasn't sure on the second one). The new C&C game being released next year is a PC exclusive.

I never even listed games like Dota2 or LoL.. League of legends having a playerbase bigger than call of duty on all platforms combined etc.

Some of the console exclusive IP's are great, its why i own a PS3/Xbox/Wii. But to try and argue that PC exclusives are in no way a match for either of the consoles is laughable.

You referred to releases, not whether or not they are any good with a gamepad. Sad that you are one of those people who seem unable to admit they are wrong online...

Advertisement