Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cost - PC vs Console Gaming?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Also.. one thing that should be noted when it comes to cost is F2P games, you don't even need to spend money to have hundreds if not thousands of hours worth of gaming. Some of the F2P games are extremely polished and fun. Tons of multiplayer FPS games, RTS games, MOBA's, MMO's. So you can really save a lot of money that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Andy!! wrote: »
    You referred to releases, not whether or not they are any good with a gamepad. Sad that you are one of those people who seem unable to admit they are wrong online...

tumblr_m2tuhblZQ51roarllo2_400.jpg

Varik wrote: »
    Never said I/we were, simply pointing out the fact that those comparing cost are not comparing like for like.

and you cant put an exception as a full argument

You referred to releases, not whether or not they are any good with a gamepad. Sad that you are one of those people who seem unable to admit they are wrong online...

Like i said, that list was off the cuff. It still doesn't change the fact that the other 25+ games i listed proves that you don't have a clue about whats available on PC.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

tumblr_m2tuhblZQ51roarllo2_400.jpg

Says the guy who uses /facepalm when hes backed into a corner by simple logic. And then posts stupid ass pics. Yeh, a lot of irony going around...

• Advertisement

Says the guy who uses /facepalm when hes backed into a corner by simple logic. And then posts stupid ass pics. Yeh, a lot of irony going around...

oh god, you are even more funny m8. i backed out, because no point argueing with you. Its like hitting your head in to a wall, i dont see the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Hands up who can play Arkham City to the same visual quality as the 360 on a seven year old PC.

Yah thats what I thought.

Its comical now how the elitists in this thread insist on pulling the topic off course. Its more expensive to be a pc gamer. End of.

(Thats not neccesarily a bad thing either. Its just a fact.)

How exactly?

Magill wrote: »

Like i said, that list was off the cuff. It still doesn't change the fact that the other 25+ games i listed proves that you don't have a clue about whats available on PC.

That would be unusual as Ive been primarily a pc gamer for oooh... how old is Rogue Squadron/QIII/UT? About that long.

How exactly?

Hardware.

oh god, you are even more funny m8. i backed out, because no point argueing with you. Its like hitting your head in to a wall, i dont see the point.

Yeah that really isnt why ;)

• Advertisement

Yeah that really isnt why ;)

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Hardware.

The low price of games more than make up for the cost of the hardware.

That would be unusual as Ive been primarily a pc gamer for oooh... how old is Rogue Squadron/QIII/UT? About that long.

Then how could you possibly think that RTS is the only genre that PC has better exclusives.. take FPS for example.. the Xbox has halo.. and thats about it ! RPG's... are there even any exclusive RPG's on xbox ?

Anyway, it doesn't matter as its off topic.

The low price of games more than make up for the cost of the hardware.

No it doesnt. If you have an internet connection you can find console titles for the same price as PC games.

:confused:

Its because you are wrong and cant admit it. Please try to keep up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hardware.

I own hundreds of games, I've barely spent anything on games?! And the amount of free good games I could play also.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No it doesnt. If you have an internet connection you can find console titles for the same price as PC games.

You seriously think that? Look at sites selling cd keys, or cheap games. PC games go down to around...free after a few months. Most I've ever spent on a game is 30e for skyrim on release, the rest cost around 0-5e. I also got all of bethesdas games for free then, the immense amount of things jsut given away for pc is staggering. My gfs steam account, all of her games were absolutely free. (she has 55 games)

I own hundreds of games, I've barely spent anything on games?! And the amount of free good games I could play also.

I just hit 120 games on steam this week. Even at a fiver each it adds up, I find it hard to believe you've barely spent anything. Unless you're a pirate.

Still waiting for you to admit you're wrong....

I just hit 120 games on steam this week. Even at a fiver each it adds up, I find it hard to believe you've barely spent anything. Unless you're a pirate.

That's if they all cost a fiver, a lot are free, a lot cost less than 1$. A lot are traded for by collecting free things in games. And most of all, a lot are simply won because there are hundreds of competitions every day. Look at examples like the current humble bundle for cheap games. http://www.humblebundle.com/

I don't pirate anything because games are so cheap. Things like steam jsut giving away games at xmas etc. I got portal, portal 2, l4d, l4d2, half 2 and expansions etc.

• Advertisement

whatever helps you sleep at night, love.

Still waiting for you to admit you're wrong....

That will happen when I am, have no doubt.

I agree that steam is great for cheap games Tal but it still costs. Not to mention some of those games never even get played much. Never used one of those key sites, always afraid of getting my steam account banned. I'd be heartbroken if that happened :P

whatever helps you sleep at night, love.

Again, nonsense posts that prove nothing. Just stop.

Something I am trying to do is play through the massive amount of games without getting any more. :-( The best thing is playing a game like Dota 2. First of all the game is free, then you get random drops from playing the game, which you can sell (some for over 1000, yep, really). Which is pretty funny. You earn games by playing games. I got csgo and another copy of l4d2 in the last few weeks simply by playing valve games, thanks valve :D

I wouldn't worry about them banning your account, everybody uses them and nothing happens.

Well, dota 2 still costs, technically.

Also LOL at every PC elitist in here claiming that exclusives on PC compare in any way to console exclusives. For RTS, yes, absolutely. But otherwise, NOOOOOOOO.......
    Then how could you possibly think that RTS is the only genre that PC has better exclusives.. take FPS for example.. the Xbox has halo.. and thats about it ! RPG's... are there even any exclusive RPG's on xbox ?
    That will happen when I am, have no doubt.

I fail to see how you're not wrong ?

Well... someone forgot to tell my wallet it does..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

I spent just €230 on a 2008 refurbished PC about a year ago. (PC was €150 on donedeal, 2 gigs extra RAM plus decent second hand Nvidea card came to €80 altogether)

I have played just about every major release worth playing up to the present without having any issues. (including Skyrim, Fallout 3/NV, Civ 5, Crusader Kings 2, Witcher 2, World of tanks, portal 2 etc etc)

I am currently playing Planetside 2.

Just goes to show that you don't have to spend a fortune for a gaming rig to enjoy modern games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

i have a pc that plays bf3 on max that i paid 550e for including all periphals recently, an xbox and ps3. if you are willing to invest a few extra hundred quid initially for a pc you will get it back within a year and won't regret it, and the overall quality of gaming will be better than a console.
    this is my opinion of course.

also i have bf3 on ps3 and pc, it is incredible the difference of the gameplay and graphics between the 2 to be honest. and i feel this contrast is a representation of the 2 gaming platforms in general.

it has always been the case that pc gaming was better than consoles since back in the day. it is just alot more affordable to buy a gaming rig these days than it was ten years ago.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Varik wrote: »
    Big ****ing deal, a modern PC can outperform a 6/7 year old console.

The 360 cost €410 in Ireland at launch, and if you had an Irish launch 360 it would be 7 years old today.

A €410 PC excluding OS, KB/M, and display would not be playing BF3 today even near to a 7+ year old console.

how many launch day 360's are still going strong though? between me and my last housemate we had 8, 8!!! xbox's, through rrod's and upgrading to the newer versions.

• Advertisement

technically it does, but technically I have 8 invites in my inventory, like most people!

Advertisement