Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cost - PC vs Console Gaming?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

RADIUS wrote: »
    I spent just €230 on a 2008 refurbished PC about a year ago. (PC was €150 on donedeal, 2 gigs extra RAM plus decent second hand Nvidea card came to €80 altogether)

I have played just about every major release worth playing up to the present without having any issues. (including Skyrim, Fallout 3/NV, Civ 5, Crusader Kings 2, Witcher 2, World of tanks, portal 2 etc etc)

I am currently playing Planetside 2.

Just goes to show that you don't have to spend a fortune for a gaming rig to enjoy modern games.

Yeah my secondary pc, for co-op play mostly, was second hand from a gaming cafe. It cost 250 including monitor keyboard, mouse. This pc is years old now and is still going strong, second hand pcs are the biz. It plays skyrim no problem. Anything I throw at it really. Just has an old quad core, 4 gigs ram, old gfx card. Sweet deal!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

RADIUS wrote: »
    I spent just €230 on a 2008 refurbished PC about a year ago. (PC was €150 on donedeal, 2 gigs extra RAM plus decent second hand Nvidea card came to €80 altogether)

I have played just about every major release worth playing up to the present without having any issues. (including Skyrim, Fallout 3/NV, Civ 5, Crusader Kings 2, Witcher 2, World of tanks, portal 2 etc etc)

I am currently playing Planetside 2.

Just goes to show that you don't have to spend a fortune for a gaming rig to enjoy modern games.

Oh are we talking second hand now? Cause I can get a second hand xbox for around 30euro.

krudler wrote: »

how many launch day 360's are still going strong though? between me and my last housemate we had 8, 8!!! xbox's, through rrod's and upgrading to the newer versions.

rrods are replaced free of charge by MS. Upgrading to new versions was your call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Andy!! wrote: »
    Oh are we talking second hand now? Cause I can get a second hand xbox for around 30euro.

we are having discussion dude not an argument ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

No it doesnt. If you have an internet connection you can find console titles for the same price as PC games.

I paid 80 cent for the Humble Bundle pack last week, you will never see an offer like that for a console. The one good thing for PS3 & Vita is PS+, a brilliant subscription service that gives you top quality games for €50 for 12 months or €15 for 3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

Yeah but a PC is a gaming rig that also has the added benefit of being a PC. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

rrods are replaced free of charge by MS. Upgrading to new versions was your call.

Not out of warranty.

and i feel this contrast is a representation of the 2 gaming platforms in general.

Nah. Ive just finished up a Mirrors Edge session on my comp. Looks exactly the same as it did on my PS3. Same with most games. BF3 is the exception to the rule but people here treat it as the norm. The truth is its actually the pc that suffers far more because of crappy ports. I got Darksiders in the humble bundle sale. Its antialiasing options are on or off!! Disgraceful :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Yeah but the launch xbox's had no hdmi ports, and the fan noise was ludicrous from them, my old one used to heat up my room when it was running something heavy on the disc drive, optional stuff sure but they're still reasons to get one of the new ones.

we are having discussion dude not an argument ;)

Im just asking ;)

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »

Yeah but the launch xbox's had no hdmi ports, and the fan noise was ludicrous from them, my old one used to heat up my room when it was running something heavy on the disc drive, optional stuff sure but they're still reasons to get one of the new ones.

My pc is sitting here beside me heating my apartment ;) and it sounds like someone is hoovering two floors down, but sure chips give off heat ;)

I paid 80 cent for the Humble Bundle pack last week, you will never see an offer like that for a console. The one good thing for PS3 & Vita is PS+, a brilliant subscription service that gives you top quality games for €50 for 12 months or €15 for 3 months.

Yeh I was going to bring up PS+ thanks for reminding me. I loved it when I had a ps3. For the PS1 games alone, far better quality than some ****ty indie platformer.

And I certainly hope you contribute more when its an actual charity humble bundle ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Yeh I was going to bring up PS+ thanks for reminding me. I loved it when I had a ps3. For the PS1 games alone, far better quality than some ****ty indie platformer.

And I certainly hope you contribute more when its an actual charity humble bundle ;)

sh1tty indie platformer? Super Meat Boy is an indie platformer, its one of the best 2D games of the past few years (also on xbla I'm well aware) just because something isnt from a major studio doesnt mean it isnt worth playing. same for stuff like Braid, Limbo, Castle Crashers etc etc, all indie games, all well worth picking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Nah. Ive just finished up a Mirrors Edge session on my comp. Looks exactly the same as it did on my PS3. Same with most games. BF3 is the exception to the rule but people here treat it as the norm. The truth is its actually the pc that suffers far more because of crappy ports. I got Darksiders in the humble bundle sale. Its antialiasing options are on or off!! Disgraceful :P

Ahhhhhh i thought you were trolling, thanks for confirming.

And all available on many platforms. Limbo is great, I think Braid is overhyped garbage made by a sad man who got dumped though.

All of this is OT though. If you sent two lads out tomorrow to get boxes to play games on, the guy who went for the console would come back with the most change by far, thats a fact. Hell the 360 with a copy of Halo 4 was going for 190 a while back. Youd spend that on a decent mobo! Even if you were really skimping youd only get a crap mobo and a crappy ati out of that. Simple maths lads. PC gaming is more expensive. Thats not to say one or the other is better; personally I prefer pc gaming but consoles have many merits. Being a significantly cheaper thing to game on is one thing.

Magill wrote: »

Ahhhhhh i thought you were trolling, thanks for confirming.

Now wheres that irony pic that Shadow posted...

I mean seriously. I made a post stating several facts/opinions, which you reply to by stating nothing, discussing nothing and doing nothing but trying to enflame, and I'M the troll? GTFO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I mean seriously. I made a post stating several facts/opinions, which you reply to by stating nothing, discussing nothing and doing nothing but trying to enflame, and I'M the troll? GTFO.

NOW NOW, world needs trolls too, dont be sad.

So we all agree...

Console hardware is cheaper than an average gaming PC... its fact.
    Consoles are more mobile... for the most part its fact.
    PC games are much cheaper than console games... its fact.
    PC exclusives are much better than console.. its a fact.
    PC games look much better than console games.. its a fact.
    PC has free MP games that are better than the best console exclusive games.. its a fact.
    PC offers everything a console does (Except for some exclusive games)
    PC's don't require you to spend extra money on a laptop/pc for general computing, therefore the hardware could be cheaper than a console/laptop combo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

I think Braid is overhyped garbage made by a sad man who got dumped though.

:D

I've already crushed your first point about exclusive games, with facts.

The simple fact that 99% of PC multiplatforms can be run at resolutions up to and sometimes greater than 1080p means that they'll automatically look much nicer than the 720p version on console, the difference between 1280x720 and 1920x1080 is huge. Added into that the fact that most of these games have video settings, of which the console versions usually are set at low/medium and rarely achieve anything over 30fps (Most ps3 games run between 20-25fps), compared to the standard 60-100 fps on high settings that my med range PC gets.... yeah... if you are actually a PC gamer (Im starting to highly doubt it) then you're a troll.

Im not saying that console games are unplayable or anything.. i had no PC for 2 years prior to getting this one, and was perfectly happy playing my games on PS3. But im not gonna lie and say that the games looked or played nearly as well as they do on PC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For the PS1 games alone, far better quality than some ****ty indie platformer.

That's a good reason I wouldn't get PS plus in Europe. I'd rather not play those PS1 games since the PAL conversions are so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That's a good reason I wouldn't get PS plus in Europe. I'd rather not play those PS1 games since the PAL conversions are so bad.

Another reason is that you don't get PS1 games with Plus any more, that went out when they changed to the "instant game collection" set-up at E3.

I've already crushed your first point about exclusive games, with facts.

The simple fact that 99% of PC multiplatforms can be run at resolutions up to and sometimes greater than 1080p means that they'll automatically look much nicer than the 720p version on console, the difference between 1280x720 and 1920x1080 is huge. Added into that the fact that most of these games have video settings, of which the console versions usually are set at low/medium and rarely achieve anything over 30fps (Most ps3 games run between 20-25fps), compared to the standard 60-100 fps on high settings that my med range PC gets.... yeah... if you are actually a PC gamer (Im starting to highly doubt it) then you're a troll.

Im not saying that console games are unplayable or anything.. i had no PC for 2 years prior to getting this one, and was perfectly happy playing my games on PS3. But im not gonna lie and say that the games looked or played nearly as well as they do on PC.

You crushed nothing. Exclusives on consoles are far more desirable than PC exclusives.

Regarding the rest of your post, here is a simple fact you cannot seem to get through your head. This thread is about COST. COST!!!! It costs more to buy a PC that plays todays games to the same quality that consoles do. Fact! Ergo, /end thread.

And yeah Im a PC gamer, I dont even own a console currently. So I guess I'll take that admission of yours, thanks. I prefer the PC as a games machine, for all the reasons the master race has stated in this thread, but it does cost more. Simple as.

So we all agree...

Console hardware is cheaper than an average gaming PC... its fact.
    Consoles are more mobile... for the most part its fact.
    PC games are much cheaper than console games... its fact.
    PC exclusives are much better than console.. its a fact.
    PC games look much better than console games.. its a fact.
    PC has free MP games that are better than the best console exclusive games.. its a fact.
    PC offers everything a console does (Except for some exclusive games)
    PC's don't require you to spend extra money on a laptop/pc for general computing, therefore the hardware could be cheaper than a console/laptop combo.

Your first three points are true, the rest is BS and conjecture.

Uh uh uh!

Do we include 50-60eu yearly sub of Xbox live then too?

From 2005-2012 7 years 350eu. So pets make it round number of 300eu, because I bet someone will fly in and say they got it for 49.99eu, not 50 or 60eu.

So 300eu and 50eu a year for the privilege of playing your games online counts in as expense in console graph? On TOP of that evil broadband fee, which was pined and pc gamers table ;)

Uh uh uh!

Do we include 50-60eu yearly sub of Xbox live then too?

From 2005-2012 7 years 350eu. So pets make it round number of 300eu, because I bet someone will fly in and say they got it for 49.99eu, not 50 or 60eu.

So 300eu and 50eu a year for the privilege of playing your games online counts in as expense in console graph? On TOP of that evil broadband fee, which was pined and pc gamers table ;)

So should we add in a few MMO subs a month? Cause I never used XBL except for the free time I got with the console or games. So if we're adding MMOs in, say 15quid a month ala Wow, multiply that by 12, multiply that by 7 for each of the xboxs years, then multiply that by 2 say, for two MMOs. Whats the figure there? More than 350, even with one MMO.

Not all pc gamers play subscribed MMOs and not all gamers pay for XBL. Especially not PS3/nintendo hardware owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Not all pc gamers play subscribed MMOs and not all gamers pay for XBL. Especially not PS3/nintendo hardware owners.

your maths regarding the cash spent on MMOs is not very accurate

the monthly sub on PC games is a dying business model, they are nearly all now "free to play" with a option to pay for premium content

but you can play them for free although progression takes a bit longer than paying

So should we add in a few MMO subs a month? Cause I never used XBL except for the free time I got with the console or games. So if we're adding MMOs in, say 15quid a month ala Wow, multiply that by 12, multiply that by 7 for each of the xboxs years, then multiply that by 2 say, for two MMOs. Whats the figure there? More than 350, even with one MMO.

Wtf mmo subs have to do with it? You don't pay that money to platform creator, but to game creator. You do realise there were and are mmorpgs or consoles? So wtf you on about? I think you are just deep in this **** and you can't back down and admit you wrong, because of your pride. You were countless times proven wrong.

And yeah, let's look at it now. 440eu for Xbox on release. Plus 350eu for Xbox live plus batteries for controller or plug and play kit about 20eu? So it costed a person to play fully his Xbox 800eu+++ these 7 years. Sorry, but PC built for 800eu back then would still play all games all these years on higher settings then Xbox. Fact, like it or not. And we are talking about a release Xbox. How many people got slim ones already instead of old ones? Lets count that on top? What about cheaper games all these years on PC?
    The one disadvantage is that you would had to pay more as initial investment, but it then pays for itself down the line. If that person who payed 440eu for that Xbox back in 2005 would just gone to take a small loan of 800eu and bough a gaming PC, he would actually had spent less by this date, a lot less.

So wait a second, mind blow! PC gaming was cheaper and is cheaper then console !!!! Wtf?!

Wtf mmo subs have to do with it?

Wtf does XBL have to do with it. Same thing. Why can you not follow simple threads of logic.

And no. Console gaming is cheaper. No matter how much you inflate the numbers. RIGHT NOW console gaming is cheaper than PC gaming. Sure the console market sees blips when new consoles are released. even the games are more expensive for a while.

And no; an 800 euro pc bought 8 years ago would not be able to play something like Arkham to the quality a ps3 or xbox does. But again thats irrelevant because 800 euro is MORE THAN 410 EURO!!!!!! You need to spend less on games and sign up for some remedial maths.

• Advertisement

kingtiger wrote: »

your maths regarding the cash spent on MMOs is not very accurate

the monthly sub on PC games is a dying business model, they are nearly all now "free to play" with a option to pay for premium content

but you can play them for free although progression takes a bit longer than paying

And you can play online on ps3 or wii for free too. But Shadow tried to artificially inflate figures by adding in XBL, so I suggested we add in WoW to the PC column, because doing so is as much bull**** as adding XBL as a mandatory expense to console gaming.

Advertisement