Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cost - PC vs Console Gaming?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Sand wrote: »

Yeah, I'm seeing it might run in the family. Gamestop is charging 20 euro extra for the same console.

Oh, so its kind of like the clap being an exclusive? Why are you offering it up as a selling point for consoles again? People want to buy a console to play games they don't want?

Cost is only relevant when compared to benefits delivered. When it comes to consoles you'll pay less upfront and more over time to get a lot less. Some people are comfortable with that because consoles fit more with what they want. Grand. Part of being the PC master race is that I can be magnanimous. It's okay to play consoles. I wont lose any sleep over it.

Cost is relevant when the thread starter makes the thread asking about the cost. Not under any other condition you make up.

And Gamestop is selling the console for 20 more than Argos. I find that hard to believe. How many games and accesories come with the GS purchase that you failed to mention to try and make a point?

HMV are a much better choice for buying consoles anyway. I see you conveniently failed to address that too. 190 euro for a 360 and halo 4 a while back (not sure if the offer is still running). Thats a ridiculous price. I spent that on a mobo and PSU alone. Not even a great mobo either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

So Andy, still waiting for an answer on where you can get 214 console games for the prices I put up.

A simple you can't will suffice.

This thread is about cost right and not elitism or the master race as you put it?

IngazZagni wrote: »
    I'm a relatively casual gamer in that I could go a couple months without playing a game. For this reason it's a no brainer that a console is better to have than a PC, and why I play most games on PS3 over a 360 (I have both) because I didn't want to be paying for online when I rarely use it but its nice to be there.

For sure a new beefy PC will be able to play games with better graphics than consoles but I don't want to be worrying do I have the best components in my PC to play the game at max settings and then having to update them every so often. Sure just even reading the Far Cry 3 thread even those with the beefiest PC's are having framerate issues.

Yeh thats a massive point towards console gaming. Just being able to pop the damn disc in and thats it. Infrequently youll get console titles that are FUBAR and need patching to the nines but its rare. Ive not bought FC3 but would probably buy on PC anyway. Even if I want a game real bad I wait a week or two for patches. Still waiting to see if theyll fix AC3.

SaulGoode9 wrote: »

PS+ is €50 a year and has a far smaller 'free' games catalogue than PC

Agreed. But if people want to count PS+ you gotta throw in an MMO sub in the PC pile, cause its the same thing.

Limericks wrote: »
    So Andy, still waiting for an answer on where you can get 214 console games for the prices I put up.

A simple you can't will suffice.

This thread is about cost right and not elitism or the master race as you put it?

You didnt choose to buy all those games, they came with, and are therefore artificially inflating your numbers.

It would be like me including the packaged games with the consoles, games that wouldnt be played, like dance central or some ****. Its fluff. So I dont count it. Yeh, I cited that Halo 4 xbox deal. But even for the unit by itself, that is much much less than a gaming pc.

• Advertisement

Andy!! wrote: »
    You didnt choose to buy all those games, they came with, and are therefore artificially inflating your numbers.

As I said in my other post. I would not have purchased those games had I not wanted them.

Therefore no, it is not artificially inflated.

I will go ahead and tell you where you can get that many console games at that price. No where, you can't.

Pc is cheaper in the long run

/thread.
    Agreed. But if people want to count PS+ you gotta throw in an MMO sub in the PC pile, cause its the same thing.

No it's not. PC f2p games are just that. free to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I was playing online last night on my pc.
    No MMO, and no sub.

Not the same thing at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Shadow is doing the exact opposite of comparing like for like. Simple as.
    He used a PC built in '05/06 in his comparison. At the most basic level this is a more accurate comparison than using one built in the years since then. This is what I was referring to when I said it was comparing like with like.

I was referring to neither his use of a PC which costs considerably more, nor how he used that example to come to his conclusion. In fact, if you read my post you'd see that I used the former point to disprove the latter.
    Not to interrupt or anything but given the prices for many of the games on that list, it'd be extremely easy to do what you're asking. The only problem would be dealing with games which aren't available on consoles and how you would want to manage that.

mikom wrote: »

I was playing online last night on my pc.
    No MMO, and no sub.

Not the same thing at all.

They are both subscriptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Yeh thats a massive point towards console gaming. Just being able to pop the damn disc in and thats it. Infrequently youll get console titles that are FUBAR and need patching to the nines but its rare. Ive not bought FC3 but would probably buy on PC anyway. Even if I want a game real bad I wait a week or two for patches. Still waiting to see if theyll fix AC3.
    I haven't bough a hard copy of games for PC in ages. So I don't need even pop in game anymore. I don't even need to go to shop to buy one at it. All I need to do is press button "buy it", then install it.
    Same goes with patches. Almost all games have auto patches and I am not even talking about something like steam which downloads all the needed patches witouth even you knowing it. I would put PC gaming friendliness higher these days then consoles.
    Though we still get lazy people who don't want to learn and people who still put all those myths about PC gaming, like yourself.

• Advertisement

As I said in my other post. I would not have purchased those games had I not wanted them.

You had no choice. Packaged games are just that.

They are both subscriptions.

I played online without subscription.

gizmo wrote: »

Not to interrupt or anything but given the prices for many of the games on that list, it'd be extremely easy to do what you're asking. The only problem would be dealing with games which aren't available on consoles and how you would want to manage that.

Maybe at list price you could do that by getting allot of pre owned 10 euro games such as launch titles but you would be looking for a LONG time to find those games. Lot's of online trawling of ebay and adverts and the like.

However for the actual price I paid for those games there is no way you would get that many games for consoles.

You had no choice. Packaged games are just that.

I didn't realise I had no choice on whether I wanted to buy the games or not? The money was just zapped out of my wallet and games applied to my steam account.

Enjoy the thread. Only so many times you can listen to hyperbole before your ears (eyes in this case) fill up with blood.

I haven't bough a hard copy of games for PC in ages. So I don't need even pop in game anymore. I don't even need to go to shop to buy one at it. All I need to do is press button "buy it", then install it.
    Same goes with patches. Almost all games have auto patches and I am not even talking about something like steam which downloads all the needed patches witouth even you knowing it. I would put PC gaming friendliness higher these days then consoles.
    Though we still get lazy people who don't want to learn and people who still put all those myths about PC gaming, like yourself.

WHAT THE HELL does physical v digital copies have to do with ANYTHING??? BOTH would still need patches.

I seriously hope you are on some serious cognitive impairing medication chap.

These are not myths, I have been a pc gamer for at least 12 years. LOOK AT THE FC3 THREAD! Myths my arse.

mikom wrote: »

I played online without subscription.

Well we are talking about subscriptions so I have no idea why youre even posting.

WHAT THE HELL does physical v digital copies have to do with ANYTHING??? BOTH would still need patches.

I seriously hope you are on some serious cognitive impairing medication chap.

These are not myths, I have been a pc gamer for at least 12 years. LOOK AT THE FC3 THREAD! Myths my arse.

Lol did you ever got the gift of ****ing reading!

I didn't realise I had no choice on whether I wanted to buy the games or not? The money was just zapped out of my wallet and games applied to my steam account.

Enjoy the thread. Only so many times you can listen to hyperbole before your ears (eyes in this case) fill up with blood.

When I buy a humble bundle for 1 or 2 games, yes, I have no choice and the rest of the drivel adds itself to my steam list.

So yeah. Goodbye!

(One elitist gone.)

Lol did you ever got the gift of ****ing reading!

Another asinine comment that has no bearing on anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I bought Black Ops 2 at midnight on launch night, went home, popped it in, 80 odd mb update required, the game wasnt an hour old at that time, and its had a few updates since. Console games no longer always work immediately they needs updates and patches as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Maybe at list price you could do that by getting allot of pre owned 10 euro games such as launch titles but you would be looking for a LONG time to find those games. Lot's of online trawling of ebay and adverts and the like.

However for the actual price I paid for those games there is no way you would get that many games for consoles.
    Well your original question was based on the games in your list and their total worth of €2530.37 according to the prices listed. Based on that, the feat could quite easily be accomplished on the console and without the need to resort to second hand purchases, assuming stock was still available.

On the basis that you're referring to their purchase via Steam sales and other discounted bundles when you say "actual price paid" then I'd imagine the feat would be something close to impossible. :)

When I buy a humble bundle for 1 or 2 games, yes, I have no choice and the rest of the drivel adds itself to my steam list.

So yeah. Goodbye!

(One elitist gone.)

One last point. No one is making you purchase the bundles, you can get them seperatly aswell by paying the asking price for them however you get them cheaper then list price and get a few extra games (drivel as you call them but most of the time are very good indie titles) So that is another way PC is cheaper. You pay cheaper then list price for the games you want AND get a few bonus games aswell.

Far from elitist by the way. Using consoles since I could hold a controller and still have most of my consoles tucked away in the attic. Have went through 4 xbox 360's (all of which I still have in parts) 2 ps3's and a wii. And have most consoles back as far as the master system and nes.

I am a realist as you can see and the realist answer is PC gaming is cheaper. Whether or not you decide to accept that or not is your choice.

Also learn to read full posts before you answer them please. Allot of your answers to peoples posts seem to only stem from the first 1-2 lines of there post when you see red and make a post that has mostly nothing to do with the rest of the post.

Another asinine comment that has no bearing on anything.

yes, because you cant read.

anyway it was a great great day and thread, but i am just off it. this is my last post here. i Just dont see any point in this. Anyone who still wants to try PC gaming should completely ignore what was said by Andy!
    I am putting Andy in to ignore list to as i cant imagine i will hear anything smart/real/non trollish or useful. Its a big feat, because in all this years it will be the second person in my ignore list.

To all others, who did not got scared yet and still want to know more about pc gaming or build a PC gaming rig are always welcome in "building PC" forum on boards.ie. The lads ( me included ) will give you all needed info and build you a system with your given budget. Even if you afraid to build it yourself, there are lots of us around almost in each county, who will help you build it for a high price of a cup of tea and biscuits. ;).

have fun!

krudler wrote: »

I bought Black Ops 2 at midnight on launch night, went home, popped it in, 80 odd mb update required, the game wasnt an hour old at that time, and its had a few updates since. Console games no longer always work immediately they needs updates and patches as well.

Yes but we are not talking about updates (which arent even necessary on PC, right? Steam kinda just auto-does it, its completely unnoticeable; far less noticeable than on consoles anyway). We are talking about when things are genuinely ****ed. Like crashes and **** like that.

yes, because you cant read

Now how likely do you think that is. Really.

Your swan song is indicative of all your posts in this thread. Completely incorrect nonsense. Console gaming is cheaper than PC gaming. You are wrong. Bye bye!

(Elitist two has left the building too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Cost is relevant when the thread starter makes the thread asking about the cost. Not under any other condition you make up.

Yeah - the cost for gaming. That's the only condition. You can pay less for a lot less. Or you can pay slightly more for a lot more. A chess set is a cheaper gaming option than either a console or a PC but I doubt you'd consider that a win. Its fine if you want to settle for a lot less value for euro spent. I'll get a lot more value if its all the same to you.
    And Gamestop is selling the console for 20 more than Argos. I find that hard to believe. How many games and accesories come with the GS purchase that you failed to mention to try and make a point?

I don't require you to believe it, so don't strain yourself. There's no difference that I could see - they're both equally awful value. I went for the bare-bones console in both cases with no games or "extras" bundled with it.
    HMV are a much better choice for buying consoles anyway. I see you conveniently failed to address that too. 190 euro for a 360 and halo 4 a while back (not sure if the offer is still running). Thats a ridiculous price. I spent that on a mobo and PSU alone. Not even a great mobo either.

Google couldnt deliver a Euro quote on the HMV website before my interest waned - the sterling quote was 199 GBP which by any exchange rate is more than 204 Euro. The "ridiculous" special offer you saw was just that - an offer to lure in people who didnt otherwise have an X Box, not the going rate.

Look Andy, I get that you prefer playing consoles. Its fine. You don't need to make excuses. You don't need anyone's blessing.

Yes but we are not talking about updates (which arent even necessary on PC, right? Steam kinda just auto-does it, its completely unnoticeable; far less noticeable than on consoles anyway). We are talking about when things are genuinely ****ed. Like crashes and **** like that.

My console has crashed multiple times with Blops 2, as have others you can see it over in the COD forum, has happened with other games as well, console gaming isnt plain sailing anymore, I had to uninstall Arkham City as it would get to an exact same point in the game and freeze my console, ditto MGS4 (talking about large updates!)

Well we are talking about subscriptions so I have no idea why youre even posting.

Tell me about the how to play online on the Xbox console for free.
    You seem to have it all worked out.

Console gaming can be cheaper than pc gaming, depending on how you buy your consoles and games.

PC gaming can be cheaper than console, depending on how you buy your system and games.

the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Sure just even reading the Far Cry 3 thread even those with the beefiest PC's are having framerate issues.

that's running with all the DX11 features etc turned on

put the settings in console equivalent mode and it would play on any decent specced PC of five years ago

thinking about it my PC is nearly that, but my GFX card I bought almost 2.5 years ago

Advertisement