Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got experience of Friesian Horses?

• 30-11-2012 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi just wondering if anyone has any experience owning or riding a Friesian. I am making arrangements to go view one as have always harboured a soft spot for them but only know about the breed through reading about them no hands on experience. I am looking for a forever horse that I will use for general riding (not into jumping really myself) and hacking, the one I am going to view is 10 year old. Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

OP , I don't know much BUT If you are looking for just hacking out & general riding I wouldnt think a Friesian would be suitable.
    What I have been told is that they are stubborn & very very strong - not recommended for novice riders or as a first horse.
    They need consistent exercise & routine & can be hot headed...

Now obviously not EVERY Friesian is going to be above but based on what I have read on other forums I think in general they are seen a tricky breed not for the faint hearted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

I know somebody who used to own and compete a couple - she competed in dressage with hers and did quite well from what I can recall. I don't know how they are jumping wise as she only did dressage. They were originally driving horses so that is another option for you if you wanted to do something different! :)

Advertisement