Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to format external Hdd

Options
  • 30-11-2012 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi- I have purchased a hitachi Touro desk pro 2TB. Loaded a couple of files onto it with no problems. When I went to use drive again the computer did not recognise the drive at all. I am just getting the usual sound that you would get if there were bad sectors on the drive.

I am presuming that I will now need to format this drive and reload the software?

I am just wondering if there is anyway around this as I cannot get my PC to recognise HDD and if I can't do that then how will I be able to format it?

Thanks in advance for replies- would appreciate any help you can give me as I don't fancy sending it back to manufacturers.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hi- I have purchased a hitachi Touro desk pro 2TB. Loaded a couple of files onto it with no problems. When I went to use drive again the computer did not recognise the drive at all. I am just getting the usual sound that you would get if there were bad sectors on the drive.

I am presuming that I will now need to format this drive and reload the software?

I am just wondering if there is anyway around this as I cannot get my PC to recognise HDD and if I can't do that then how will I be able to format it?

Thanks in advance for replies- would appreciate any help you can give me as I don't fancy sending it back to manufacturers.

Do you always "Safely Remove Hardware" before unplugging it, also has it fallen? You could try TestDisk which may be able to re-construct the partitions

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 19 carter2

Try booting from a Parted Magic CD or flash drive and see if you can access your files through that. Parted Magic is a live Linux variation that comes with a hard drive diagnostic program--something that you may find useful. You download Parted Magic in the form of an .iso file. If you double-click an .iso file, it will likely launch a program that will walk you through the process of turning the contents of that file into a CD (simply copying the file to a CD won't work).

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tillerman08

Yeah removed hardware safely so don't understand it- thanks for reply

yoyo wrote: »

Do you always "Safely Remove Hardware" before unplugging it, also has it fallen? You could try TestDisk which may be able to re-construct the partitions

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tillerman08

Thanks for the info-appreciate it. Will give it a try

Quote=carter2;82012157]Try booting from a Parted Magic CD or flash drive and see if you can access your files through that. Parted Magic is a live Linux variation that comes with a hard drive diagnostic program--something that you may find useful. You download Parted Magic in the form of an .iso file. If you double-click an .iso file, it will likely launch a program that will walk you through the process of turning the contents of that file into a CD (simply copying the file to a CD won't work).[/Quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 19 carter2

Good luck with it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement