Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sterling Bank Drafts

Options
  • 30-11-2012 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

I need to send £185 stg. to the UK, for various reasons online is not an option. Went to my BoI branch this morning to get a Sterling draft only to be told they no longer sell bank drafts worth less than €500.:mad:

Why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

ado100 wrote: »
    I need to send £185 stg. to the UK, for various reasons online is not an option. Went to my BoI branch this morning to get a Sterling draft only to be told they no longer sell bank drafts worth less than €500.:mad:

Why?

Did the official in the bank give any reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi ado100,

Thanks for posting.

Issuing Euro or Foreign drafts less than €500 is no longer a service we offer. One of the alternatives mentioned below may help.
    If the amount you are transferring online exceeds the daily limit, funds may also be paid by cheque. Alternatively, if you are making a transaction with a company, it may also be possible to pay with your Visa Debit card. However, you will need to check with the company to see if this option is available to you.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ado100

Hi ado100,

Thanks for posting.

Issuing Euro or Foreign drafts less than €500 is no longer a service we offer. One of the alternatives mentioned below may help.

Thanks
    Tara

Hi Tara,

Yes I am now fully aware that you no longer issue drafts less than €500 - but why? As I said in my original post, online transfer is not an option and I don't have a Sterling cheque book - so how do I send money to a friend in the UK other than by bank draft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi ado100,

We don't have information on why the decision was made to remove this service. It may be possible to send a Euro cheque or postal order for the equivalent amount.

Thanks,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ado100

Hi ado100,

We don't have information on why the decision was made to remove this service. It may be possible to send a Euro cheque or postal order for the equivalent amount.

Thanks,
    Graham

Unbelievable - service withdrawn, we don't know why, try the Post Office!

Thanks for the full and frank explanation.

• Advertisement

Baffling!
    Perhaps Richie Boucher could answer the question.
    Honestly the replies that come from Bank of Ireland are funny. If only the subject matter was not so serious!
    Bank of Ireland, what a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 misty2

Tried to get a draft myself and told to get a postal order! Also needed to do an international bank transfer, but told it needs to be over 3000 euro, so I registered with banking 365 which was a bit of a hassle, so now I am spared a trip to the bank if I ever need to do it again. I suppose they are moving with the times, but they could at least let people know and put a few signs around the bank!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭bromley52

I have used www.currency.ie to transfer money internationally. I am not too sure of min amounts or anything like that but it could be worth a look. A simple phone call and it’s all explained. Their exchange rates are one of the best in the market for the general public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi misty2,

Thanks for the posting.

Bank of Ireland branches displayed in-branch notices prior to the new changes.

Thanks

Billy

Hi misty2,

Thanks for the posting.

Bank of Ireland branches displayed in-branch notices prior to the new changes.

Thanks

Billy

Well Misty , that is you told off. You did not read the signs prior to the new changes.

Quite frankly I find the tone of the replies from Bank of Irelandinsulting to say the least.

Bank of Irelnd desperately nee a PR person

• Advertisement
Advertisement