Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please help!

Options
  • 30-11-2012 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

i am currently in 6th year but really have no intentions of doing my leaving certificate. My ambition is to become a hairdresser/beauty therapist. I cannot do the leaving cert for my own reasons. I am just looking for information on how i could get an internship/traineeship in this field as there is no information out there about people in my situation. My mother is threatening to kick me out of the house if I cant find something to do soon. I am 18 years old. Please can someone aware me on what options I have open to me. Also, if this thread is in the wrong category then can the admins please move it to the right one, thank you very much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

Why don't you just sit and pass your leaving cert?

Although it couldn't be said in the past, the leaving cert is now the bare minimum requirement.

I would advise you sit and pass the leaving cert at OL. I think all PLC's require leaving certs..

You may find yourself blocked from hairdressing/beauty courses if you do not have the leaving.

You're only 18.
    What you want could change from tomorrow to next year.
    I know you may not believe it but it is true. And not only that, but you may decide in the future to upskill and could regret not sitting your leaving only to end up sitting it at 25 and you'll be thinking "why didn't I do it when I was meant to!"
    A girl who sat the LC with us wanted to be a beautician and she failed maths and ended up repeating the lc to pass and then she got into the course. So not 100% confident about the PLC situation and an apprentice, not sure)

You should make sure you have your leaving certificate under your belt for insurance.
    There's not much out there without one.

(Not sure how you mean by "I cannot sit it for my own reasons" and I won't pry. You could always repeat 5th year? Give you an extra year? If your afraid of failing the LC, even if you do, you'd be eligible to repeat.)

G'luck

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

It's only 6 months away and as it has been said most plc's require the leaving. Just bare with it for the rest of the time if you can at OL and it will stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

regardless of whether or not you would like to do it, you have to understand that it's almost essential in today's economic climate to have a leaving certificate under your belt.
    in 40 minutes it'll be december, meaning you have but a short number of months left to contend with in secondary school. you may as well just keep your head down and complete it.

it will only benefit you in the long run.

Advertisement