Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coeliac and/or Gluten Free Friendly Restaurants?

Options
  • 30-11-2012 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Can anyone recommend a place that is good for Coeliac/Gluten Free diets?
    Tamarind used to be great but thats gone now.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Kai. Call them first and they will give you a few options. A lot of their menu is usually easily adjusted to be GF or Coeliac friendly. I'd imagine Cava, Anair, Eat @ Massimo, Ard Bia, Kirwans Lane, Artisan, etc, are all pretty much the same.

The Quay Street Kitchen would be worth checking out as well.

Any good restaurant will sort you out if you give them notice and even if you call in, they will probably sort you out, but if you give them a warning they will be able to come up with a few choices for ya.

Add Alchemy to that list too, the chef there, has worked with Jess from Kai for a few years and worked in other quality restaurants so his standards are high, they just started doing evening services but I had lunch there a few weeks back and thought it was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Seaneh wrote: »
    Add Alchemy to that list too, the chef there, has worked with Jess from Kai for a few years and worked in other quality restaurants so his standards are high, they just started doing evening services but I had lunch there a few weeks back and thought it was excellent.

Where is that??

Thanks for your suggestions!

Forster Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thai, Japanese and Indian restaurants generally are gluten free.

Older thread with suggestions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

Oscars is very good for GF/Coeliac foods. They are aware of cross-contamination also. Manageress mentioned it to me that she is Coeliac, so the chef (her husband afaik?) always bears this in mind when formulating a dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

GastroBoy wrote: »
    Hi there,

Can anyone recommend a place that is good for Coeliac/Gluten Free diets?
    Tamarind used to be great but thats gone now.

Thanks!!

Not sure if you're asking for yourself or for someone you intend bringing out but in case it's someone else be sure to take the severity of their Coeliac disease into account. I know someone who cannot eat things cooked in the same oil or utensils as something containing gluten even if their food is prepared without gluten. It seems to be quite individual.

I know Jack Jordon fish and chip shop do gluten free days for severely affected people where the only cook in oil that's set aside for gluten free food and are meticulous about that.You're probably not looking for take away but it might come in handy sometime. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Not sure if you're asking for yourself or for someone you intend bringing out but in case it's someone else be sure to take the severity of their Coeliac disease into account.

It's not for me, it's for some guests I have coming for the weekend. I'm taking it very seriously, hence this thread, as I know how badly people can react to gluten.

Thanks for the tip!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Just saw that Il Folletto (sp?) on Quay Street have added gluten free pizza, pasta, and pasta sauces to their menu!

They do an early bird deal too, not sure if they would apply that to GF stuff, maybe they would too. Haven't been in there for ages, but had a couple of good nights in there before.

Oh also the new place (relatively new) that used to be Café du Journal (and keeps changing!) on Quay St apparently do gluten free veggie breakfasts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Asian Tea House have a gluten free menu as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

I heard the Asian Tea house was very good as well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,467 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

inisboffin wrote: »
    Oh also the new place (relatively new) that used to be Café du Journal (and keeps changing!) on Quay St apparently do gluten free veggie breakfasts.

That's the Quay Street Kitchen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

GastroBoy wrote: »
    It's not for me, it's for some guests I have coming for the weekend. I'm taking it very seriously, hence this thread, as I know how badly people can react to gluten.

Thanks for the tip!!

Fair play for making such an effort to find some place for them. I sure it'll be appreciated so much. :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 206 ✭✭Creachadóir

Coeliac disease is not individual. Cross-contamination may affect different coeliacs in different ways, but it is bad for all of them and can have long term consequences. Therefore, even if something is marked as gluten free on the menu, people should always ring ahead, or at least inform the waiter, that they are coeliac.

Some people are on a wheatfree diet, but that is different.
    McSwiggans is very good. They don't just remove their sauces if a coeliac requests a dish, they provide a sauce that's gluten free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

just noticed that Mocha Beans in Salthill (the one up in the village itself) has a gluten-free menu. It's great to see more & more places servicing a growing market for gluten-free.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Coeliac disease is not individual. Cross-contamination may affect different coeliacs in different ways, but it is bad for all of them and can have long term consequences. Therefore, even if something is marked as gluten free on the menu, people should always ring ahead, or at least inform the waiter, that they are coeliac.

Some people are on a wheatfree diet, but that is different.
    McSwiggans is very good. They don't just remove their sauces if a coeliac requests a dish, they provide a sauce that's gluten free.

I read it as some people have different levels of gluten *intolerance* as opposed to full on Coeliac disease. Gluten can still cause digestive pain etc. The blood test for Coeliac is often inconclusive apparently and many don't opt for the biopsy test to confirm, but instead go off gluten. Some are ok with oats but wheat causes pain.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but my pal said they are now trying out some gluten free beer in The Townhouse (along with a load of new non-GF ones), so he's jumping for joy at another place to have a nice brew. They are starting food again soon for the summer, but no idea if anything on there is GF. Sure start with the beer ;)

Bierhaus does gluten free beer as well.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but my pal said they are now trying out some gluten free beer in The Townhouse (along with a load of new non-GF ones), so he's jumping for joy at another place to have a nice brew. They are starting food again soon for the summer, but no idea if anything on there is GF. Sure start with the beer ;)

Townhouse have Estrella Daura, it's a spanish GF lager, it's also available in Salt House, Olso, The Cottage, Scholars Rest, Bierhaus, and a few others around town.

You can get it in Dunnes, Tesco, Lohans, Supervalu, O'Brien's and a few other offies as well.

Just thought I'd throw out a of options for ya.

Townhouse have got a good selection of beers in lately which is nice to see.

• Advertisement

Townhouse have Estrella Daura, it's a spanish GF lager, it's also available in Salt House, Olso, The Cottage, Scholars Rest, Bierhaus, and a few others around town.

You can get it in Dunnes, Tesco, Lohans, Supervalu, O'Brien's and a few other offies as well.

Yeah in Massimo too. He was just particularly happy as he works near The Townhouse. If there are any more places please share. I knew of a few places but forgot about Scholars Rest.

I've never been able to get it in Tesco btw , the couple of times I've been in looking they've only had the regular estrella which is not GF!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Menlo park hotel has a chef who is a coeliac and is apparently v.good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

anyone doing gluten-free pizzas around? I do love a decent pizza but.... must ring the 12 in Barna, maybe their fancy oven can do one properly.

edit: the pizza deli in the 12 does do gluten-free pizzas :)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Monroe's (Pizza Cabin) do gluten free crusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

I am not Coeliac but I am VERY intolerant to Gluten and Wheat. Some places are dreadfully ignorant. Just yesterday I went for a small bite to eat in a city centre restaurant and ordered a sandwich on gluten free bread and asked was the dressing etc gluten free. When my sandwich arrived it was (as usual) quite small especially in comparasion to the normal sandwiches. Anyway the side salad had an order of crisps mixed in with it and I naturally assumed they were gluten free but of course they weren't and spent the rest of yesterday in a lot of discomfort all down to ignorance on the part of the restaurant :mad::mad:

Anyway, to add to the list of places I just thought for lighter snacks there is also Mixed Greens and the Born cafe where the food is very fresh and delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

jkforde wrote: »
    anyone doing gluten-free pizzas around? I do love a decent pizza but.... must ring the 12 in Barna, maybe their fancy oven can do one properly.

edit: the pizza deli in the 12 does do gluten-free pizzas :)

Milanos told me 2 weeks ago that they were bringing in gluten free pizzas in the next week! I'm looking forward to trying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bru79

I've never been able to get it in Tesco btw , the couple of times I've been in looking they've only had the regular estrella which is not GF!

I got talking to the guy who looks after the beer aisle in Tesco, they only get estrella gf when it on offer, they are not listed to stock it normally

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bru79

Add busker browns to that list:rolleyes:

Bru79 wrote: »
    Add busker browns to that list:rolleyes:

Which one does Buskers have, Estrella Daura?

Townhouse had one called Greens Pilsner for a whille, pretty good for gluten free and gluten guzzlers alike :) but think they might only have Estrella now, they seem to be trying out different ones.

Estrella is grand, but a bit of variety would be the next step.

• Advertisement

Bru79 wrote: »
    I got talking to the guy who looks after the beer aisle in Tesco, they only get estrella gf when it on offer, they are not listed to stock it normally

Pity. I think they'd shift it. It may be coincidental, but three times I've been there there when someone I knew or a randomer asked for it.

Advertisement