Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballinteer Community School

Options
  • 30-11-2012 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I'm considering sending my child to BCS because it is a mixed, non-fee paying school without a strong religious ethos. I've visted the school and am impressed by the facilities and also the small class sizes.

However, academically it doesn't rate well (very low progression to 3rd level) and from reading the boards here and elsewhere I get the impression that the school has a bad reputation (i.e. low expectations, behavioral issues, a 'rough element'). This is just what I've heard - not making any judgement.

Has anyone sent their kid/s there and can relate their experience / rating of the school ?

many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I grew up in the locality and in the 80s it had the same reputation...

Disappointing but not altogether surprising to hear this has not changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

I would like to ask about this school as my brothers application has been refused in another secondary school and most schools in the area are full and this is one of 2 options so could anyone provide information about it as we'll the experience in the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

I know of a friend who moved to Ireland from Spain and initially went to Ballinteer Community School and said it was very rough and he left to join a fee paying school.

It doesn't have a good reputation among the area, however you would be getting people coming from all kinds of backrounds, from middle class to very working class as well as all kinds of ethnicities, much more rounded student body, which is a benefit you wouldn't get in a fee paying school.

Up to you obviously but I personally would stay away from the school if I had the choice.

Definitely not a nightmare though as long as your kids are alright socially they should be fine.

I know of a friend who moved to Ireland from Spain and initially went to Ballinteer Community School and said it was very rough and he left to join a fee paying school.

It doesn't have a good reputation among the area, however you would be getting people coming from all kinds of backrounds, from middle class to very working class as well as all kinds of ethnicities, much more rounded student body, which is a benefit you wouldn't get in a fee paying school.

Up to you obviously but I personally would stay away from the school if I had the choice.

Definitely not a nightmare though as long as your kids are alright socially they should be fine.
    It would cost a lot to go to fee paying could anyone else recommend any other school

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

ayumi wrote: »
    It would cost a lot to go to fee paying could anyone else recommend any other school

Where abouts are you living? Loads of schools to choose from depending on the area. St. Benildus is a good school (relatively) near Ballinteer.

• Advertisement

We have called them ,oatlands,clonkeen college and some other schools but there full so if applied you would be in the waiting list.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

Have you tried St Colmcille's Community School in Knocklyon? It may be too far away if you are looking at Oatlands and Clonkeen but my brother went there and was very happy. There is also De La Salle in Churchtown and St Tiernan's in Balally.

WildRosie wrote: »
    Have you tried St Colmcille's Community School in Knocklyon? It may be too far away if you are looking at Oatlands and Clonkeen but my brother went there and was very happy. There is also De La Salle in Churchtown and St Tiernan's in Balally.

We have applied to de la salle but were refused so now wondering if balinteer comunity school and st tierians are good academically and as a whole school?

I don't know anything really about St Tiernan's so can't comment there. I grew up not too far from BCS and it didn't have a great name to be honest. I only know one person that went there and she was very happy there. She did reasonably ok academically and is in further education now. It may have improved in recent years and it seems to have very good facilities now.

There's also Newpark Comprehensive in Blackrock. I think that has a pretty good reputation.

WildRosie wrote: »
    I don't know anything really about St Tiernan's so can't comment there. I grew up not too far from BCS and it didn't have a great name to be honest. I only know one person that went there and she was very happy there. She did reasonably ok academically and is in further education now. It may have improved in recent years and it seems to have very good facilities now.

There's also Newpark Comprehensive in Blackrock. I think that has a pretty good reputation.

New park are full as well

• Advertisement

Where approximately do you live? And how far would your brother be able to travel? Is he going into first year?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

We have applied to de la salle but were refused so now wondering if balinteer comunity school and st tierians are good academically and as a whole school?

I presume your brother isn't church of Ireland or else he would of been offered a place in Newpark. There is also cabinteely community school and st Laurence's and colaiste eoin (An excellent gaelscoil and extremely hard to get into) I don't know much about ballinteer, cabinteely or st tiernan's but I have heard (from teachers) they can be a bit rough? I think cabinteely, st Laurence's, st tiernan's and ballinteer are all deis schools. Whatever primary school he is in must be a feeder school to a secondary school?

Millem wrote: »
    I presume your brother isn't church of Ireland or else he would of been offered a place in Newpark. There is also cabinteely community school and st Laurence's. I don't know much about ballinteer, cabinteely or st tiernan's but I have heard (from teachers) they can be a bit rough? I think cabinteely, st Laurence's, st tiernan's and ballinteer are all deis schools. Whatever primary school he is in must be a feeder school to a secondary school?

Well he's in our lady grove we contacted several of the secondary schools that are in the local area as well as other areas but all said you would be in the waiting list if you applied now and these secondary schools still are accepting application forms until January but seeing from the comments on them I'm a bit hesitant as well as wanting to what to do. I have considered appealing but would there be a result and be placed in a secondary school?

Well he's in our lady grove we contacted several of the secondary schools that are in the local area as well as other areas but all said you would be in the waiting list if you applied now and these secondary schools still are accepting application forms until January but seeing from the comments on them I'm a bit hesitant as well as wanting to what to do. I have considered appealing but would there be a result and be placed in a secondary school?

Have you looked at each schools admissions policy? Where are the other boys in his class going? It is very late to be applying in in 6th class in these times. The numbers in fee paying schools are falling and these children are now going to "free" schools, this is why you are being told they are full. I am a teacher and in both schools I have worked in the admissions have been done 100% by the book so much so that a colleagues daughter was not offered a place. In this day and age they have to be as so many people will try and appeal it and in the 5 years i have been there no one has been successful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭narwhalthe

I knew people who went there 5 years ago and said it is rough. I highly doubt it has changed in five years.

narwhalthe wrote: »
    I knew people who went there 5 years ago and said it is rough. I highly doubt it has changed in five years.

Could you recommend any other schools ? I have mentioned the schools I have been in contact with

Could you recommend any other schools ? I have mentioned the schools I have been in contact with

I am nearly sure all free schools have been named and only fee paying schools left. Is fee paying an option?

Millem wrote: »
    I am nearly sure all free schools have been named and only fee paying schools left. Is fee paying an option?

It might be an option

Have you tried Templeogue College? It would have good reputation round these parts.

No ill try calling on Monday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I left this school in 2010. There are some very rough pupils in it, always has been that way.

I'd highly recommend the school though. Great for sport, some of the older teachers are brilliant and its a lovely school now.

I lived closer to Tiernans at the time, but there was no way I was going there, its pupils are dog rough from what I've seen. You'll get it in every school but there seems to be more there, my geography teacher from BCS said she lasted a week teaching there....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's probably worth pointing out that in the very recent Irish Times supplement on Secondary Schools, BCS was the worst performing school in the area for pupils going on to third level education.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Have you tried Colaiste Éanna in Ballyroan? I went there, was a grand school for the most part. Not much of a cycle or the 16 would leave your kid with a bit of a stroll, or a hop on a 61 or 15b or perhaps the 75?

Have you tried Colaiste Éanna in Ballyroan? I went there, was a grand school for the most part. Not much of a cycle or the 16 would leave your kid with a bit of a stroll, or a hop on a 61 or 15b or perhaps the 75?

Wouldn't tht be an irish speaking school?
    I have contacted some other schools but they all said they are no longer accepting applications for September 2013 and if you do you will be in the waiting list. Also if there are any other applications in the waiting list who applied before you they will get priority.
    It's frustrating :mad:

No, not Irish speaking. It's a CBS but no brothers teaching there anymore (so I believe).

Have you just recently moved into the area?

No, not Irish speaking. It's a CBS but no brothers teaching there anymore (so I believe).

Have you just recently moved into the area?

No living here for a while,just that its the first son to go to secondary school

Ok, I know you know this now, but you really should have applied as soon as you moved to the area for a secondary school.

If getting to Colaiste Éanna is feasible, I'd recommend visiting the school and having a chat. I think they still do well in the dreaded league table for 3rd level. In my day (1980's) there would have been a skew towards the DIT colleges with relatively few going to Trinity or UCD, not sure what's happened since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Ok, I know you know this now, but you really should have applied as soon as you moved to the area for a secondary school.

If getting to Colaiste Éanna is feasible, I'd recommend visiting the school and having a chat. I think they still do well in the dreaded league table for 3rd level. In my day (1980's) there would have been a skew towards the DIT colleges with relatively few going to Trinity or UCD, not sure what's happened since.

I know its not ideal but I would put your name on waiting lists in as many schools as possible. Then if nothing comes up go to BCS. However places often become available in other schools as people leave or move away. if you were willing to move during a school year at short notice you could probably get out of BCS if things were not going well..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 lechiennoir

Ballinteer Community School and St Tiernan's are terrible schools and are extremely rough. In fact, BCS is so rough that one of the students burned the previous building down and they had to invest a lot of money in rebuilding what is there now.

St.Benildus and Colaiste Eanna are good public schools in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

In fact, BCS is so rough that one of the students burned the previous building down and they had to invest a lot of money in rebuilding what is there now.
    Just a slight exaggeration there - one wing was damaged by the fire in 2000. The decision to rebuild the school had already been made before the fire happened, and had nothing to do with the fire. The old school continued to operate for years after the fire, after a brief closure of a few days .

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/teenager-who-set-fire-to-school-gets-6-years-316290.html

Advertisement