Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bare minimum bow?

Options
  • 30-11-2012 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

I want one i can practice with at home so i can be better for when i use the real one in the club. Thats about it, something more than a toy but as cheap as posible. How much/ what one should i be looking at?
    I guess i can try to provide specs, i would want it to shoot fairly accurately and for at least 10meteres?

i believe its a recurve bow ill be using in the club. I believe it costs around €500, I believe that is not the one ill be buying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bjpower

Don't waste money buying anything until after you have done your beginner course.
    once you have done your beginner course then you can talk to some experienced archers and see what size/type of bow you should buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Sligophoto

Do Not Buy A Bow!

Actually its much more likely that club training bows cost between €150 to €200!
    Unless your going to a very fancy club :)

Seriously though you need to wait until you have done your introductory course. From this you may learn interesting things like your draw weight, draw length and type of bow you may prefer all of which you need to know before you go shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭maxitwist

Ive done the intro course, Ive shot before, But i found that most of the time was spent setting up/getting used to the bow that i never really got a chance to just enjoy shooting. Im going to get something, otherwise ill never start. Im 6goot, male, reasonablly strong if you want to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Sligophoto

What type of bow do you want to use?
    The cheapest way to start may be with a traditional set up.
    You can buy a bare bow wether it be a flat bow, recurve or historical style. Perhaps you tried some of these on your course? Shooting traditional can save a lot of money on sights stabilisers and the like.
    If you bought a flatbow or historical bow then your spending is done apart from arrows a quiver glove and tab.
    If you buy a recurve and are pursuing target archery then you can buy the extras later when you know what you need. Samick do some reasonable recurves around €150 so €200 might get you up and running with all the essentials.
    As you have done the beginners course you should now have an idea of your draw length and weight?
    If not then you should ask to try other peoples bows until you find one that suits you. Or visit an archery shop where you can try out all the bows and see what you are most comfortable with.
    Saying your male and 6 foot does not supply enough information to enable a bow recommendation.
    Hope that all helps.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I have to admit I'm a little confused as to what bows you may have used already, used at club and are looking to buy to use at home.

Most clubs will use Training bows for lessons, some may have entry level risers available for later. Most people will buy their own kit once committed and use that at the club. I do understand that setting up a new bow each time is time consuming. It is a lot easier to have your own, matched arrows, set brace height etc.

This is the club bow I'd expect you to have used. They are cheap and replacement limbs are cheap as you up in poundage. They are limited in how they can be adjusted to suit the archer and arrows but would suffice for training at home.

b_kb06.jpg

This bow is £65 from Quicks.

You'll still need arrows, a tab, quiver etc.

The next step up is this type of bow, an entry level ILF bow- adjustable poundage, adjustable tiller, replaceable grips, takes a plunger.

s_HB76a.jpg

The one shown is a Hoyt Excel but you will get cheaper risers and limbs than the Excel.
    Some of them may be only 23" risers though so you need to watch that.

Your height is not enough to give accurate recommendations for bow size but the people at your club should be able to do that.
    If I had to guess, I'd say a 25" riser and long limbs giving a 70" bow, as I'm the same height as you but that's a big generalisation.

Weight...... 28-30# on the fingers is enough to start. That's not limb strength rating, that figure takes into account you may be pulling further than the distance the limbs are rated at and thus pulling more than the marked weight so limbs may need to be 24-26# @ 28".

Your best bet is to ask at your club for help.

You'll also need to budget for some form of a back stop, a butt/bale. What you can get will depend on poundage too.

If you are shooting at home, safety needs to be your first, second and third consideration. Glance offs, bounce outs, broken nocks, broken strings and general mishaps will happen and need to be planned for not just a case of hoping it doesn't happen.....it will, it does, sooner or later. Your 'range' must be fool proof and then some.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
Advertisement