Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overcharged - no receipt

Options
  • 30-11-2012 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

I have recently been seriously overcharged by a local shop. My items totalled around €40 but I was charged €50. The shop later claimed that I was only charged €40 however I knew the amount in my wallet before & after the transaction.

This store only gives a receipt if someone requests it so there is no proof. Is there any legal obligation on the shop to give a till receipt with every transaction?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Discodog wrote: »
    I have recently been seriously overcharged by a local shop. My items totalled around €40 but I was charged €50. The shop later claimed that I was only charged €40 however I knew the amount in my wallet before & after the transaction.

This store only gives a receipt if someone requests it so there is no proof. Is there any legal obligation on the shop to give a till receipt with every transaction?

Thread on this very subject in the last few days. Short answer: No. Long Answer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Thread on this very subject in the last few days. Short answer: No. Long Answer

So a shop can rip people off with no likelihood of being caught. Who investigates complaints like this?

There's only your word you were ripped off. I believe the NCA would.

Surely this is why receipts should be compulsory. All the major stores issue them as a matter of course.

Surely this is why receipts should be compulsory. All the major stores issue them as a matter of course.

Did you read the other thread?

I don't understand how a receipt would help you really. Surely you knew you were handing over €50 and not €40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

receipts probably should be compulsory, but so should checking your change before you leave the shop in that case

You are missing the point. I was told that the total was 50. When I got home it was obvious that I had been overcharged. But the shop said that they had only charged me 40. A receipt would of shown an itemised total & the amount tendered

receipts probably should be compulsory, but so should checking your change before you leave the shop in that case

A stool groom in every bathroom! :D

When I go home it was obvious that I had been overcharged.

More info please - points are indeed easy to miss when they are concealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Why didn't you a) check your change or b) request a receipt?

The shop may be in the wrong but you have no proof and the above would have avoided the issue

• Advertisement

More info please - points are indeed easy to miss when they are concealed.

Simple. You drive home thinking that your shopping cost more than you expected. When you get home you add up the items & realise that you have been overcharged. A receipt would of shown this but giving out receipts makes it harder to rip off the customer.

Jev/N wrote: »
    Why didn't you a) check your change or b) request a receipt?

The shop may be in the wrong but you have no proof and the above would have avoided the issue

The change issue is irrelevant. This is a village shop. Everyone takes things on trust which can make it easier if one member of staff decides to steal.

I have since discovered that I am not the only one in this situation.

Simple. You drive home thinking that your shopping cost more than you expected. When you get home you add up the items & realise that you have been overcharged. A receipt would of shown this but giving out receipts makes it harder to rip off the customer.

I take it you've still no read the other thread. Allow me to summarise: Most people don't want a receipt handed to them when they buy a paper and a packet of fags or a Mars Bar. Much easier to always request one if you always want one.

etc
    I take it you've still no read the other thread. Allow me to summarise: Most people don't want a receipt handed to them when they buy a paper and a packet of fags or a Mars Bar. Much easier to always request one if you always want one.

Of course I read the other thread. If you buy a packet of fags from Tesco, Supavalu etc you automatically get a receipt. The receipt is part of the documentation of the sale like the till roll. Not issuing receipts is an open invitation for malpractice.

etc

Of course I read the other thread. If you buy a packet of fags from Tesco, Supavalu etc you automatically get a receipt. The receipt is part of the documentation of the sale like the till roll. Not issuing receipts is an open invitation for malpractice.

No need for us to rehash it then. The majority seem to disagree. There is only so much bottom wiping that can be done by legislation - I've no desire to see a caveat emptor style system but I do expect to be treated like an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

etc

Depending on the type of till, they could be able to look it up and/or print it out. Only if it is a computer type modern till, not the old cash registers where they just bang in the price. I have done this a few days later in a spar when I went back to db with a faulty ticket. You need to know the date, approximate time and the till in question if it's a big shop.

Tesco and Supervalu are not on the same scale. People buying their weekly shop are going to want their receipt much more than your average local shop customer buying milk and a paper and issuing receipts automatically to the latter is a waste of time and paper because nobody will even want them. Not only that but both operate loyalty card systems and both offer refunds, for which receipts are needed. As well as all of the stock Tesco, Dunnes and M&S sell which isn't food. They may not give them automatically, but they ARE there if you want, you just have to ask. They are not allowed refuse this request.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

OP, I'd be inclined to put this one down to experience and next time ask for a receipt.
    If you wanted to get really thick about it you could see if they have cctv which might show how much you handed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I think you have to write this off to experience and either avoid the shop (or at least the person who served you), ask for a receipt. As someone else said you could request seeing the CCTV although whether they have it or have not recorded over it remains to be seen.

You could also contact the owener and ask if the till was €10 over , if enough people do so it may alert the owner that there is issues,

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Depending on the type of till, they could be able to look it up and/or print it out. Only if it is a computer type modern till, not the old cash registers where they just bang in the price. I have done this a few days later in a spar when I went back to db with a faulty ticket. You need to know the date, approximate time and the till in question if it's a big shop.

^^ This is the best advice. If the shop has a modern till, then they can dig out the transaction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Retailer

this has happened in my shop on two occasions.
    both occasions the customer insisted they handed over a certain amount.
    one of them in particular was very irate, accusing a member of staff of stealing etc etc, in front of other customers.

till cashed up correctly at the end of the days in question.
    we have cameras over the till and were able to show exactly how much the customer handed over on both occasions. thankfully they were in the wrong.

point is, if they have a camera over the till and nothing to hide then they should oblige you and check the cameras.

other than that unfortunately there's not a lot you can do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement