Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coldplay and Radiohead

Options
  • 30-11-2012 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

This topic often comes up so I thought it deserved a thread of its own.

People always talk about Coldplay and Radiohead, two British bands who are largely compared in terms of their musical output, but to what extent can this comparison be proven as accurate?

I personally believe that there is very little similarity between the two, perhaps 2-3 songs, but that hardly accounts for the entire back catalogue of both artists.

Coldplay are influenced by Travis, U2, and Oasis far removed from Radiohead who are influenced by the Pixies, R.E.M. and Aphex Twin.

Pablo Honey is nothing like Coldplay just a lighter Nirvana rehash, The Bends very few similar songs, maybe High and Dry and Yellow, but the triple guitar is nothing like Buckland, OK Computer too other-worldly, and then there's been no similarities between the two since Kid A.

Your view? 30 votes

Nothing alike
    0% 0 votes
    Very similar
    90% 27 votes
    Slightly similar
    3% 1 vote
    Quite alike
    3% 1 vote
    No opinion
    3% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I have never heard anyone say that Radiohead and Coldplay are similar.

Anyone who thinks they are should go back and listen closely.

I wouldn't say that Pablo Honey had any real Nirvana similarities either to be honest.

To be fair, "You" is a huge grunge song with definite nods to the Seattle sound, especially Alice in Chains.

On topic:

One band rocks, and the other is Coldplay.

Who don't.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I have never heard anyone say that Radiohead and Coldplay are similar.

Anyone who thinks they are should go back and listen closely.

I wouldn't say that Pablo Honey had any real Nirvana similarities either to be honest.

+1

Nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I don't think they sound anything alike. People compare Muse a lot to Radiohead too but I don't see it either. Although, Matt Bellamy's voice does sound a little bit like Thom Yorke's sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

A lot of singers have similar vocal ranges, but that doesn't make them alike. Thom Yorke didn't invent falsetto and neither did Jeff Buckley.

The main vocal again only accounts for a small subsidy of the whole package, there's still the musicians in the band, time signatures, the production, songwriting, backing vocals, etc etc.

Yorke's voice has also changed since Kid A, he has learnt to use it in such a way that it becomes an instrument itself, it marked an evolution, and it is completely separate from what Chris Martin and Matt Bellamy now do with their vocals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Poll is fairly conclusive. They're both English, they're both guitar bands (although that description doesn't do justice to Thom Yorke and co.) Thats the only similarities I can find.

Having heard their most recent respective albums, you may as well be comparing Joy Division with Jedward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

it's a bit like the comparisons between The Beatles and Oasis, fans of both and never thought they sounded alike.

Advertisement