Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Bill

Options
  • 30-11-2012 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

David, how are you?
    I live in a semi 2 1/2 bedrooms for 11 years now and lately my electricity bills are very high. Latest came at €315 which comparing to neighbours and friends is very out of the place. We are very careful with lights (the ones we use the most are the saver ones), don't use appliances very much except washing machine and tv.
    Today I've contacted Electric Ireland and been told to call an electrician to check around the house.
    What's your advice, as I don't have the money to pay someone for those kind of services?
    Thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The best advice is turn everything off and see how the meter reacts. Or take a reading last thing at night and again first thing in the morning - you should use very little during the night. After that you would really need to get an electrician in to check things out.

It's worth checking if the reading on the last bill was correct and if you are continuing to use as much as in the last billing period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi snams,

As Srameen has advised, turning off your power and subsequently inspecting the meter would be the best approach. Make sure everything is off, or better yet unplug everything you can, and then turn the power off completely at the main trip switch on the fuseboard. Within 5-10mins the meter should have come to a complete standstill; if it is an analogue meter the rotating disc will have stopped turning, or if it is digital, the LED indicator will have stopped flashing.

If this is the case, you have at least established that there are no obvious anomalies with the internal wiring. If the meter does continue to record some activity, then you really would have no choice but to contact a registered electrician. (See the following section on our website, Finding Electrical Contractors).

You may also find this section of our website useful: How do I reduce my bill?

Have you bought any new appliances lately? Malfunctioning appliances may also be a possible cause of increased consumption.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

David.

Advertisement