Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Draft Match 5: eagle eye v Jax Teller

• 30-11-2012 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭

This match will decide a place in the QFs and will last for 48 hours, in which time the participants will need to outline their team, basic strategy, and strategy against their opponent.

Also, the voting will take place during this 48 hour period. There will be a poll but only votes with answers developed in a post will be taken into consideration. This development doesn't have to be paragraphs long, even a single sentence is fine. But don't vote until the competitors have had a chance to outline their teams.

Who wins? 3 votes

eagle eye
    0%
    Jax Teller
    100%
    redzerdrogmenoscemoeagle eye 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Capture11-1.png

Won't get to finish my write up till tomorrow morning but ill put my team lineup here .Best of luck EE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Jax Teller
    Best of luck Jax.

abDOLixacm.jpg

Drew my team in the opposite formation to Jax to make it easier for people to match them up.

I've put lines on my midfielders because I just want to make it clear what I'm doing in this one.

I see a real weakness in the centre of midfield and I'm confident I can have a lot of success against his defense too. For this reason I am giving Yaya Toure license to get forward when we break. I am expecting Noble to sit deep and protect the back four. Gera will sit deep enough too but will move forward and onto the left side enough to keep Neville honest and sitting back. I am not planning on attacking down my left side much as Neville is a pretty decent full back. I see weakness down the other side of his defense and I'll be asking my player to concentrate mainly on attacking down that side and through the middle. I think Benteke can win the aerial battle and set up Michu and Duff when high balls go in. Also with Yaya getting forward and Gera on occasion I have plenty of players who can belt it from 15 to 25 yards. I see Ridgewell as a real weakness in his team and I will have Duff going at him all day which should end up in free kicks and when he beats him I think I create a lot of chances for Benteke and Michu.

I'm not asking my full backs to get forward a whole pile in this one because there is a real threat from the opposition when they do get into the final third. I don't see that threat materialising though if I leave both Riise and Ivanovic deep. I don't see them getting much change out of my back four and with Noble sitting in front it makes it very difficult for them to create.

I think I will have a lot of success from set pieces in this one, both his central defenders are known for their mistakes and Benteke is great in the air as well as Huth and Stam so I like my chances from corners and deeper free kicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Going for Jax Teller. He has the better players and I think he will outscore eagle eye. Feel he has the greater threat going forward

My Team.

Goalkeeper & Defenders

My Goalkeeper is a good keeper nothing special but he gets the job done .Has kept 8 in clean sheets in his 14 PL games .Uniteds No1 for now anyway

Neville probably the greatest rb in PL history , not the most naturally gifted footbaler ever but he made to the top with hard work and determination . A great leader on the pitch also puts an excellent cross into the box which Jelavic will thrive on .

Smalling an excellent young defender only back from injury but already looks back to his best .
    Lescott had the best season of his career last season hasn't hit the same heights this season so far but still a good defender .

Ridgewell a solid left back again nothing special but will do the job he asked . In the form of his life atm imo.

Midfield

Yacob an excellent signing by Wba has been outstanding this season breaking up the play and starting attacks .
    Anita another good signing probably hasn't settled in aswell as Newcastle had hoped though still a good dm as along as been able to fill in at either fullback position.

Attack

Lallana Southampton's skipper has been their stand out player so far this season imo . Great good forward but also offers his full back a lot of protection . Good at set pieces

Ben Arfa tricky pacey winger will create chances for himself and others also has a cracking shot on him .

Hazard one of the signings of the season offers trickery and pace like Ben Arfa but on another level , he'll also create chances for himself and others just like we have seen at this season so far . Good finisher also a good at set pieces .

Jelavic an excellent finisher and good header off the ball who will run all day for me . Will hold up the ball for the other midfielders perfectly. 14 goals in 26 Pl appearances .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Jax Teller
    eagle eye for me even though I like jax front 4 i struggle to see who they are going to do anything if they cant get the ball. Jax CM is very weak even though I like Yacob, I think anita is a poor pick. I also dont like the CB's with smalling injured all season and lescott not playing much this year both are bound to be rusty

• Advertisement

I think his style of play play's right into my hands tbh . Ben arfa won't have to track back as Riise won't be going forward , and will cut in on occasions to try outnumber EE , Neville will be able get up and down the wing with no direct opponent to go at him & if a danger presents itself Anita can drop till he gets back into position.

With regard to Eagle eye's plan to try exploit me down my left side , Lallana will offer his full back protection all day long as we have seen this season so i would expect Ridgewell & Lallana to win that battle against Duff especially with no threat from Ivanovic coming forward .

Also with Toure breaking forward that will leave Noble (who is relatively poor ) & Gera (in dm which he certainly isn't known for ) exposed and with Hazard and potentially Ben Arfa drifting in on off his wing.

Smalling & Lescott also may have not played a lot this season but they're both way better then Huth can ever dream of being . Stam is obviously a good pick but Huth is a liabilty especially with the ball on the deck . Imagine Hazard or Ben Arfa going at him i'd get loads of joy out of that .

Jelavic will get goals if you make chances for him and with Hazard ,Ben Arfa & Lallana i'd expect to make enough for him score .

I think i'd win this handy enough. I don't see him creating enough chances to trouble me .

Jax Teller
    Jax Teller wrote: »
    I think his style of play play's right into my hands tbh . Ben arfa won't have to track back as Riise won't be going forward , and will cut in on occasions to try outnumber EE , Neville will be able get up and down the wing with no direct opponent to go at him & if a danger presents itself Anita can drop till he gets back into position.
    Gera will move out to that wing to keep Neville honest. If you push up Neville then you can expect to see plenty of Gera on that wing. I said this earlier.
    With regard to Eagle eye's plan to try exploit me down my left side , Lallana will offer his full back protection all day long as we have seen this season so i would expect Ridgewell & Lallana to win that battle against Duff especially with no threat from Ivanovic coming forward .
    I said I planned to exploit you through the middle and when your players are pulled in to try and cover that I will unleash Duff down that side of the pitch. Lallana does not provide good cover and if he is going back there then Ivanovic will be getting forward.
    Also with Toure breaking forward that will leave Noble (who is relatively poor ) & Gera (in dm which he certainly isn't known for ) exposed and with Hazard and potentially Ben Arfa drifting in on off his wing.
    Noble has been exceptional this season in a holding role. You are saying he is relatively poor? He is being touted to play for England now and is currently the top tackler in the EPL. Also I don't see how you are going to stop Yaya. Gera is not in defensive midfield either.
    Smalling & Lescott also may have not played a lot this season but they're both way better then Huth can ever dream of being . Stam is obviously a good pick but Huth is a liabilty especially with the ball on the deck . Imagine Hazard or Ben Arfa going at him i'd get loads of joy out of that .
    Your knowledge of football looks weak here I think. Huth is excellent with the ball on the deck both defending and bringing it out of defense.
    Jelavic will get goals if you make chances for him and with Hazard ,Ben Arfa & Lallana i'd expect to make enough for him score .
    I don't see how you are getting the ball up to these players and with my full backs keeping tight to your creators I don't see how you can create any good chances. Half chances will be cleared easily with Stam and Huth in the centre.

I think i'd win this handy enough. I don't see him creating enough chances to trouble me .
    Your team is not going to create anything I think. My midfield is far too strong imo and while I'm not going to create a whole pile of chances I will create enough to win this one 2-0 I think.

I'm not doing back and forward arguments .I made my points , you made yours .

Let the people decide

Jax Teller
    I'm not doing back and forward arguments .I made my points , you made yours .

Let the people decide
    I agree that seems fair. Good luck again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Two poor sides. Defences are solid enough, but I think Jax has a poor midfield, while eagle eye has a relatively poor forward line. I wouldn't like to be relying on Benteke, Duff and Gera for goals, they just arent in the same league as some of the other attacking line ups around.

If Jax can get any sort of parity around the middle of the park then I think he would shade it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Just to start, I have no idea why Ivanovic is being asked to be conservative - especially when he has Duff and is up against Lallana and Ridgewell. It's a battle that they would win all day long.

Secondly, Vurnon Anita was a dire pick. Been so poor this season in such an important role. Yacob needs someone good beside him and he doesn't have it here at all - could get overrun despite the fact Yaya is out of form.

Lescott has barely played and I don't think Jelavic has been in great form recently either.

I think Noble is being seriously over-rated too. As I said before, he has hadd some good games and some poor ones. It evens out.

I'm really struggling here, because Neville and Ben Arfa should do extremely well against Riise with a seeming lack of cover from Gera - but I think Eagle Eye is being far too conservative. With everyone sitting deep then the Anita pick isn't brought into play as much as it could be. Also Eagle isn't taking advantage of a battle he'd almost certainly win with Duff and Ivanovic up against Lallana and Ridgewell. Yacob can stop Michu because everyone else is so deep.

That being said I don't think Jelavic will get much change from Stam, but with the barrage of crosses in from the right I think he could get the one chance that he needs. I don't see Hazard influencing this game as he could - he hasn't played centrally a whole lot. But I'm going for Jax - just.

1-0 Jax, partially because of some odd tactical decisions from EE.

I don't see Hazard influencing this game as he could - he hasn't played centrally a whole lot. But I'm going for Jax - just.

I'm sorry i have to take issue with this . He's played centrally more often than not . Here is his average position each week

Mqpc4.png

Its not like hes been stuck out wide like Ben Arfa or Lallana

Ggirx.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Looking at the two teams, I think Eagle Eye's is better.

However, to have John Arne Riise and Ivanovic as your two full backs and to not let them get forward is insane, and I feel you've nullified your attacks by staying so narrow. With Gera coming inside, you've no one threatening on the outside which is crazy, as Riise should be bombing up and down the space which Gera would create.

With those tactics, Jax Teller's team would deal comfortably with the attacking threat of the front three, and they'll nick a goal going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Congrats Jax Teller.

Commiserations eagle eye.

Advertisement