Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoul I report this dog/owner?

• 30-11-2012 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Ok so I'm undecided on what to do here,

I just went into some flats near where I live to see a mate, he lives over a family that have a huge GSD, I couldn't get up the stairs to see my mate cause the dog wouldn't let me past.

The "gate" (lump of wood) that the owners put up is on the ground broken and the dog is just wandering round the stairs,

Usually if the dog is behind the gate he barks (as most dogs do) when passing by, its safe enough and I ignore him,

But tonight when I tried just ignoring him and passing by /walking up the stairs he went to snap at me,
    (moved slightly forward, snapped a bit but was about 2/3 feet from me)

He was def more aggressive than usual
    (low growl, showing theeth, hair on neck/back raised) tonight and being free to wander around / get at me, made it worse.

I just walked back down the stairs and left, he didn't follow.

I should point out that I love dogs, had a gsd myself before, my brother has one too(tho it's more like a bear lol) and I understand how not to provoke them or anything, I was trying my best to ignore him and pass by but for the first time ever I was actually very fearful of getting bitten.

Now the owners let this dog roam free and generally he doesn't go outside the block of flats, but a huge (and agressive) dog like that shouldnt be allowed out without a lead, collar, and possibly muzzle (tho honestly I never muzzled my dog so can hardly give out there) , least of all allowed out alone!!!!!

So what should I do? I've never reported a dangerous dog before and I feel bad knowing it's the irresponsible owners fault for it being like that, not the poor dogs, but at the same time id hate to see someone get bitten....

Oh also I'm not even sure of who you report this kind of thing to?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Edit: they also let the dog sh** all over my mates balcony and never clean it but that's a whole other issue I guess. Just another example of the owner being useless

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd report it being loose, it is a restricted breed and shouldn't be out like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Are you describing the balcony on a landing in a flat complex? If so what's stopping the dog leaping over the balcony regardless of a gate. I know my shepherd will leap or climb anything up to around 8ft to get onto the other side if he really saw something he wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

Are you describing the balcony on a landing in a flat complex? If so what's stopping the dog leaping over the balcony regardless of a gate. I know my shepherd will leap or climb anything up to around 8ft to get onto the other side if he really saw something he wanted.

Realistically there's nothing stopping him, even when the gate is "up" there's nothing stopping him from jumping over it or knocking it down easily, I think maybe the dog just doesn't realise he can.

The landing/balcony is on the second floor, I'm not sure if that matters for the dog not jumping..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Has your mate who lives in the same complex tried discussing the dog's living arrangements with the owners? One thing I would say is, if the dog's behaviour has changed recently, could you look into whether something has changed for the owners, such as a new new job for the person who previously exercised him, or an illness in the family which means nobody has the time to do so? You or I may not take on such a dog in circumstances where any change might leave him without care and exercise, but a family who felt they may need the protection might feel differently, and may not feel able to reach out to others for this, if it was a feeling of isolation that led them to get such a dog in the first place.

I would feel very much inclined to suss out the situation as far as possible, and hopefully track down somebody who could discuss it with the owners, before taking the drastic step of calling in the council dog-catcher. If they aren't in a position to, or don't wish to take proper control of the animal, it may be possible to find a foster or rescue space if they could just try to take better care over the short-term, seeing that a solution was on the horizon.

The problem I'm seeing with calling the dog warden is that the dog is causing trouble just at the moment, but is most likely a really nice fella in a bad situation. As a restricted breed cross who has been causing trouble, the pound where he would land would likely euthanise him, where I'm getting a strong feeling this boy deserves a better chance, in a decent home. Very much hoping this situation gets sorted, getting a strong feeling this is a good dog in a less-than-ideal home, gone wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

**Update / more details on it*

@ferretone Yes my mate has tried to talk about it and as a result has had many arguments with them over it. I also know them as I used to live in the flat years ago myself actually, before my mate moved in.

It turns out I'm not the first person who couldn't get up the stairs due to the dog. This family in question has nothing going on in their lives apart from how many cans to buy tonight or if they should visit the local instead. (I'm not generalizing here or stereotyping either this is actually their only worry).

I know the dog if brought to the dspca would fail their aggression tests and be put down, which is the main reason I wouldn't call them. My friend has told me he'd love to report them to but knows it would just cause more trouble for him with regards to this family, and asked me not to call anyone up either.

I feel bad for this dog now and worried for the potential people of being bitten while walking up these stairs or in the flats. My mate plans to go down and have a very serious "talk" with the about how many times this has happened, hopefully the threat of getting the dog taken will force them to get their act together and start taking care of the dog once and for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

**Update / more details on it*

I know the dog if brought to the dspca would fail their aggression tests and be put down, which is the main reason I wouldn't call them. My friend has told me he'd love to report them to but knows it would just cause more trouble for him with regards to this family, and asked me not to call anyone up either.

I can totally understand your reluctance to report the dog but I have to ask how bad would you feel if you didnt report it ant then this dog mauls and disfigures a child for life . Would you be able to live with that? Sorry I know that sounds drastic if me to say and im not downplaying your reasons for not reporting it but from the sounds of it this dog is a danger to have in an area where children would be roaming freely.
    Having seen first hand the damage a dog can do to a child if hate to think that a potential danger wouldn't be reported.
    I do understand your predicament and I wish you the best of luck with whatever you choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭justaskin likeyakno

I got 'snapped' at by a gsd last weekend, it cost my E100 at A&E, a day off work for a second day of IV antibiotics and two horrible scars I'II be left with on my fingers as they don't stitch dog bites....

Report the dog, it's not the dogs fault but if you're aware of his behaviour and don't do anything can you and your mate have it on your mind if it bites a kid and leaves a bigger mark...I'm not doing the whole 'save the children' here speech, but the smaller the person the bigger the bite. Cast your mind back to the JRT that bit the 8 day old baby a couple of weeks ago, one little bite in the wrong place and it can be fatal.

What I got on my hand would disfigure a small face.

If you report the dog now he'll get the chance of being rehomed as a dog with no reputation, if you wait till he bites he will probably be destroyed.

Advertisement