Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moss on lawn - Aerator??

Options
  • 30-11-2012 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all,

Scarified my lawn last spring to clear all the moss. The lawn was fairly bare after but i put down seeds. I now see the moss is returning. I have put down moss killer/lawn fertiliser.

I have heard i will need to aerate the lawn to clear the moss. I've seen greens in golf courses aerated. Any idea where i could get an aerator forhire. Tried a few Tool hires without luck. IN the COrk area.

Or even anybody know someone who does lawns perhaps a green keeper??

Help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

Hello
    To control moss you would need to scarify, aerate and even topdress the lawn once or twice a year, depending on how damp your soil is.

Moss grows on wetter soils. To improve drainage you can use a hollow tine lawn aerator. If the lawn isn't that large you could use a manual lawn aerator. You can buy these online.

Work like this can be done in autumn or spring, and you should top dress afterwards with a sand and lawn seed mix

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hi all,

Scarified my lawn last spring to clear all the moss. The lawn was fairly bare after but i put down seeds. I now see the moss is returning. I have put down moss killer/lawn fertiliser.

I have heard i will need to aerate the lawn to clear the moss. I've seen greens in golf courses aerated. Any idea where i could get an aerator forhire. Tried a few Tool hires without luck. IN the COrk area.

Or even anybody know someone who does lawns perhaps a green keeper??

Help appreciated

You can pick up a Lidl/Florabest lawn aerator and scarifier for 10 euro each.

Fully adjustable and both good bits of kit.

Great way to get a bit of fresh air and excercize on a lovely winters day like today.:)

Advertisement