Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eve shoot Repair Costs

Options
  • 30-11-2012 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hello, I would be grateful for any help on this matter asap.

My mother lives on her own. The other day a man came offering to fix her eve shoots all around the house. He is doing another few bit such as washing down the roof and footpaths around the house. He said that he would do all the work for €7000. Finally are mam bargaining with him, he agreed on €5000. so this man will repair the eve shoots ( he is buying the new eve shoots) and the other bits and pieces. He and two others are spending 2-3 days working on the job.

Is there anyone out there who can tell me if this is a fair price??..or if it is pure robbery and taking advantage of an older lady on her own??

Thanks so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭06608124

Ok this does seem very expensive to me, i mean, €5000 is alot of money. He has started the work already and she has given him half of it. do you know how much it should cost to buy and put up new eve shoots? thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,050 ✭✭✭✭muffler

06608124 wrote: »
    eve shoots
    Whats this? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

muffler wrote: »
    Whats this? :confused:

'Chutes', I suspect.
    AKA: gutters

It sounds like the OP's mother in this case is being taken advantage of by unscrupulous persons. :mad:

Rovi wrote: »
    It sounds like the OP's mother in this case is being taken advantage of by unscrupulous persons. :mad:
    Well if it's cleaning the gutters, power hosing the roof and drive I'd say €500 would be closer to the true figure.

im sorry for the spelling...chutes it is!!:)

• Advertisement

he is putting up new eve chutes....and putting "felt" in as well under the roof slates i think!...im not sure of the spelling of "felt". he said to her that it would be like having a new roof. but i am just suspicious because of the fact that he said €7000 first, and then was willing to take €5000. it makes you wonder, and €5000 is such alot of money these days and you hear so much of people going around to peoples houses conning them.

Get yourself round to your mum's first thing in the morning and get these guys to give a written breakdown of the works and the associated costs. I dont wish to alarm you but no one should ever, ever agree to pay that type of money to a stranger knocking on the door.

Good luck with it.

yes i will do! i had planned to do that and will put some pressure on him. i cant see how he wont be making a huge profit. No someone should never do that, but she is bipolar and makes bad decisions at times. i will ask for a breakdown of costs, thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Ask to see their insurance policy, workplace safety statement, and the Safe Pass tickets of everyone on site.
    They will, of course, have all the required safety precautions (signs, fencing, etc) in place and everyone will be wearing suitable personal protective equipment, I'm sure. :D

If you have ANY concerns about any of the above, don't hesitate to contact the HSA:
    http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Contact_Us/

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭jakko86

Hi this is a scam and taking advantage of your mother. who comes to the door and asks to do all this work??And then drop his price by 30%??? changing felt??? WTF?? hosing down roof?? Changing felt means stripping roof to rafters and re latting felting slating... Has the roof any leaks even?? changing eve chutes?? it all sounds like a complete scam!! did your mam lok for him to look at a leak or what? Sounds like a programme on tv3 i saw recently about con men!!

• Advertisement

Im still trying to pull my chin off the floor! 7,000.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

yea i know...i was dumbfounded when i came home and heard it. i was here yesterday expecting him to come but he didnt. he will be here again on monday, unfortunately i will be away in belfast again. I told mam not to give him any more money, and to ask for a breakdown of all the costs. I will go over it next weekend, and see what exactly he is charging for. I know what he powerwashed all the footpaths and tarmac around the house, he did a good job alryt. He also said over the phone to me that he is putting up some new timbers around the house (rafters)..some of it is rotten. He is painting the roof, and felting it around the edges. He will fix a fairly sizable crack in the footpath outside our front door, and is doing one other thing with the roof..im not too sure exactly what though, i couldnt really understand it, so will ask him next weekend about that, and will look into it before he gets any more money.!

When he says he will put new felt at the edges? is it a flat roof with torch on felt?and he is painting that with solar reflective paint?I also thought you were not supposed to powerwash tarmac? (i could be wrong) I cant believe a handyman can approach someone and have a price for work he feels 'needs' to be done.... it just dosn't add up. The price of 7k originally is crazy considering labour for a handyman should not be anymore than 150/day max and material say a roll of torch on felt,gas, a few lenghts timber, and a few bags of cement and sand.say 500 for material being generous from what you have described so originally he was allowing himself 6,500 labour which at 150/day sounds like one hell of a job.I know he has kindly dropped his price to 5000. If it was me id RUN him! Has your mam paid him much?Has he provided any written estimate or receipts?

Sorry plus eve chutes and down pipes you could allow another 500 for these.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bryaj

How did your mum fare out with her roof repairs and costs?

Advertisement