Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on placements of products in supermarkets

Options
  • 30-11-2012 8:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭

ok I know some people will call me a moron, say it's my fault etc. fair enough - but I still think this is a little unethical on the part of the retailer

It has happened to me now on several occassions and it's getting to the stage where i'm starting to believe it's more than a coincidence

what is it you ask?

ok there'll be an offer for a bottle of wine or cake or ice-cream or pizza or whatever, usually a yellow sticker is used to highlight this special offer, the yellow sticker will say "bordeaux red wine papillon" or whatever "6.99, used to be 10.99" so I'll grab the bottle above where the sticker is, i'll pay and then notice that the bottle I got wasn't the one on offer, it cost 11.99 and instead it is "bordeaux red wine st pierre" - what the effing hell is it doing being positioned exactly in the area where the offer sticker is? Also and more insidious is my realisation that a lot of products placed in the area where special offers are offered are very very similar to the product advertised on offer - there might a slight difference, like the number of grams or if it is fat free or something like that - it is infuriating and if they are doing it deliberately then they are fairly devious IMP.....usually it might be only the difference of a few euros and i don't bother going back to complain but next time it happens I may kick up a fuss about it - has anybody else has this happen to them? Or am i just being a) a conspiracy nut and b) a bit of a dullard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

donfers wrote: »
    ok I know some people will call me a moron, say it's my fault etc. fair enough - but I still think this is a little unethical on the part of the retailer

So they put "sale" signs near the item on sale but also near other products, and you just don't pay enough attention to read the sign and then read the label of the product you are buying???

Errrr .... you can't blame the retailer for your own lack of attention.

Next time, try reading the sign and then read the label of the product.

Now, if the sale sign gives a price and then you are charged a different price that would be their fault, but the fact you picked up the wrong product is your own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tweedle Dumb

must supermarkets have the European Article Number (the 13 digit number on the bar code) on the label. a quick check to check they match should solve the problem.

Few reasons why this occurs, the on offer product is beside similar not on offer products, over-packing leads to it being on the shelf above the label. Staff packing being incompetent, and not fully checking products. and customers putting products back on the wrong shelf.

seriously tho, a quick glance at the last few digits of the EAN against the bar code should stop you picking the wrong product

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

1st world problem

also, a customer might have put the bottle there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Your problem/mistake not theirs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Your problem/mistake not theirs.

Indeed, thanks for pointing that out

only way it is their problem is if they deliberately place remarkably similar products in the offer section and even if they do in fact do that, which is a real stretch, then there is no legislation denying them the opportunity to deceive halfwits like me

forgive me for bothering this fine forum with this petty little query

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Indeed, thanks for pointing that out

only way it is their problem is if they deliberately place remarkably similar products in the offer section and even if they do in fact do that, which is a real stretch, then there is no legislation denying them the opportunity to deceive halfwits like me

forgive me for bothering this fine forum with this petty little query

To be fair where would you expect them to put the other red wines? Its common sense that like products will be grouped together and that one should be a bit careful. There is always the biggest issue facing retailers - customers - who are like children in so many respects, including the inability to put things back where they got them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It has happened to me now on several occassions and it's getting to the stage where i'm starting to believe it's more than a coincidence

what is it you ask?

ok there'll be an offer for a bottle of wine or cake or ice-cream or pizza or whatever, usually a yellow sticker is used to highlight this special offer, the yellow sticker will say "bordeaux red wine papillon" or whatever "6.99, used to be 10.99" so I'll grab the bottle above where the sticker is, i'll pay and then notice that the bottle I got wasn't the one on offer, it cost 11.99 and instead it is "bordeaux red wine st pierre" - what the effing hell is it doing being positioned exactly in the area where the offer sticker is? Also and more insidious is my realisation that a lot of products placed in the area where special offers are offered are very very similar to the product advertised on offer - there might a slight difference, like the number of grams or if it is fat free or something like that - it is infuriating and if they are doing it deliberately then they are fairly devious IMP.....usually it might be only the difference of a few euros and i don't bother going back to complain but next time it happens I may kick up a fuss about it - has anybody else has this happen to them? Or am i just being a) a conspiracy nut and b) a bit of a dullard?

This happens so regularly in some shops it is almost as if it is their policy to place higher costing items in the same areas as special offers or placing beans costing 50cent in the same space on shelf as those costing 30cent, but the bottom line is unless you take note of each instance and report it as false advertising or incorrect pricing nothing will ever be done as it is almost always in the shops favour!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I have to be honest, when I worked in a shop, it didn't really matter how hard you tried to label a sale item as opposed to a non, people would grab a non regardless.

At some point, somewhere in the shop, a non sale item needs to be next to a sale.

Advertisement