Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring an ethernet jack

Options
  • 30-11-2012 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm trying to wire an ethernet wall jack in the house, but have no idea which is the right way.
    The cable in the wall consists of 8 wires total:
    Blue
    Blue/white
    Brown
    Brown/white
    Orange
    Orange/white
    Green
    Green/white

The wall jack itself has only 6 connectors, labelled 1 - 6. There is no colour coding or lettering on them, just 1-6.

Any idea how to wire it? Every place online I've tried seems to assume the jack has 8 connectors and is colour coded.

Comments

Are there 6 contacts in the front of the socket? If so it's an RJ11 or RJ14 socket rather than an RJ45.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 roc13x

Yes, it has 6 contacts on the front. Do you know how to wire it? I have no idea what colours go to which connector numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

roc13x wrote: »
    Yes, it has 6 contacts on the front. Do you know how to wire it? I have no idea what colours go to which connector numbers

It's the wrong wall plate if you want Ethernet

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭PlanIT Computing

You need to change the wall plate to an rj45 one - can be picked up in maplins or ordered online.

Advertisement