Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mauser Brutus

Options
  • 30-11-2012 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

Finally finished my Mauser 1909 Argentine project.
    We called her "Brutus". Short, light and ultra fast handling. Up to ten rounds of 308 in her AICS mags. The Mauser was selected by the German
    gunsmith Kai Hauck and STL-Rifles did the re-barrel to 308 with a Lothar Walther in Germany.
    After weighing the bottom metal assembly we decided to use an aftermarket Remington AICS magazine system instead. I am
    also sure the feeding would improve. This of course didn't fit and quite a bit of fettling was needed to get it right.
    My son Peter made me one of our extra light ambidextrous T3 carbon fibre stocks. We had to re-inlet to fit the mauser action.
    I also added an oversized "Kaiser" grip. This will be my rain gun and an extra grippy texture was added.
    Bolt handle was sawed off as the angle was wrong and replaced by a thinner lighter handle an a carbon fibre bolt knob I made 7.4 grams.
    My first attempts of putting some colour into the stock. The Final coat is a special matt varnish from Switzerland.
    Total weight including the 1.5-5x24 red dot scope. 7.92lbs
    We haven't fired a shot out of her yet except proofing in Germany, can't wait.
    edi

Mauser1.jpg

Mauser2.jpg

mauser3.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Looks nice eddi, when exactly was that rifle made?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

I have no idea how old it is. Maybe Tac Foley has a clue, or at least a guess.
    Workmanship of the action is far better than I would have thought.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

sweet rifle well done. Very nice.:cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

what made you go with that particular action?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

ejg wrote: »
    I have no idea how old it is. Maybe Tac Foley has a clue, or at least a guess.
    Workmanship of the action is far better than I would have thought.
    edi

The large-ring Mauser actions made after 1909 are the usual type suitable for conversion to .308Win.

As far as the quality of the manufacturing is concerned, it is generally accepted that the Argentine contract Mausers - originally in 7.65x53R - roughly equivalent to the British .303 in performance - were among the very finest ever turned out of Oberndorf. I'm not so lucky - MY 7x57 Mauser Model B from 1912 is only an ordinary 'cooking' Mauser, not a spiffy little item like this is - but it has 78 years of being carried around Rhodesia engrained in every atom of it. I wouldn't part with it though, it's got real history, too.

Edi - your new gun looks very nice and it will no doubt shoot like a mad thing - Good luck with it,

tac

PS - What is the scope?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

That looks like it would be a dream to handle :cool:

You gonna put a mod on it or leave it as it is??

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cruisedub1

Excellent use of an almost 100 year old receiver . What make is the red dot sight and can you give an idea of the overall cost .

Thanks for the answers.
    We've had quite a few enquieries about Mauser 98 Stocks. I knew or know nothing about Mauser actions and
    just wanted to see what they are like. I guess the 98 is possibly the most built bolt action.
    I had contacts in Germany and an old Argentine can be picked up quite handy, Lothar Walther make pre-chambered
    and pre-threaded barrels for the 98 that only need head spacing. That was the good news, making a stock and fitting the mag
    system took weeks and plenty late evenings.

Tac , by the way, years ago I spent a few days in the Oberndorf Factory, pity it was not gun related.
    Scope is a cheapisch Pentaflex that I picked up second hand. Lovely optics though.

Patsat, very similar handling to your rifle. Made it exactly the way I wanted it, no compromises.

edi

ps. Cruisedub.,
    can't put a price on it. Manfred from STL-Rifles in Germany who is a good friend and he did it at cost or as a hobby for me.
    My son made himself and myself an experimental stock (some changes in the carbon lay up)
    as mentioned many, many hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Fantastic job on the "pig gun" Edi.

Fair play to Peter too the work obviously paid off!..

Liking the camo stock too!! (alot more then my one I must say) :)

A

Edi - with the comparatively large numbers of Mauser actions out there from P-H and BSA, let alone the ex-military stuff like Zastava and so on, would it not be a plan to have few made up ready in large and small ring actions?

Or maybe I've got my countries wrong again.

tac

• Advertisement

Tac,
    thing is I know too little about Mausers. Customers want a 100% drop in fit especially on a stock that is
    painted. Very few gunsmiths have the patience to fit an action in a stock these days. With the many versions
    of Mausers out there we'd only be looking for trouble. So for now we will stay clear.
    I fired a few shots out of the rifle today to see how she recoils without moderator. With 150gr the recoil
    is no problem at all and I noticed no muzzle flip. Even saw the bullet impact on a rock at 170m through the scope.
    The stock shape will allow very fast recover from recoil because it'll push back straight.
    edi

Mmmm. Like I said, I've got my counries mixed up again.

Sorry.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I am constantly impressed with your work. Extremely functional looking rifle there.

Thanks Vegeta.

Finally got it zeroed shortly before dark today.
    The 1.5-5x24 isn't the best low light scope and it was very difficult to make out the centre of the target.
    The only group I shot after rough zero to establisch final adjustment.
    Three shots within 1/2" but fourth shot opened it to 1 1/4". I am happy so far and might test the ability of
    the rifle with a different scope.

Mauser4.jpg

Close up of the bolt knob made of solid carbon.
    Mauser5.jpg

Mag system fixing and front action screw.
    Mauser6.jpg

With proper scope...
    Mauser8.jpg

edi

Advertisement