Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary School League Tables 2012

• 30-11-2012 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,
    Does anyone have a copy or link to the Irish Times 21-11-12 Secondary School League Tables please.

Understand it is not the be all end all but if you got it I would like to have a look.
    You might have noticed its a little difficult to find on line...strangely.

thanks
    Pat.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

pmeade1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Does anyone have a copy or link to the Irish Times 21-11-12 Secondary School League Tables please.

Understand it is not the be all end all but if you got it I would like to have a look.
    You might have noticed its a little difficult to find on line...strangely.

thanks
    Pat.

Possibly because its wrong? Our school complained as we were 12 points below here we should have been in the lists. They calculated wrong and apologised

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Instead of listing how many went to third level education they should list average points totals.

10 entrants into Arts NUIM trumps (9 entrants into med/dent Trinity + a lad who took a year off) in the present tables.

Also, no account is made of grinds.
    I'm not sure if entry in to UK universities was taken into account.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They should also list how many children with learning disabilities they take in or 'direct elsewhere'.
    If we're going to judge schools on the exam performance of students, let's not have the pitch on the side of a hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Instead of listing how many went to third level education they should list average points totals.

10 entrants into Arts NUIM trumps (9 entrants into med/dent Trinity + a lad who took a year off) in the present tables.

Also, no account is made of grinds.
    I'm not sure if entry in to UK universities was taken into account.

They also only take account of students who go to universities and not the ones who go to ITs.

So if you live in Donegal and your nearest university is Galway or Dublin, it is far more likely you will attend an IT out of convenience or go across the border and go to Queens/University of Ulster. Neither situation is accounted for in the league tables.

Nor students that accept a place and defer or schools that are in disadvantaged areas where even getting a small proportion of their cohort to third level is a major achievement.

My school position was wrong on it last year, there are so many flaws in it, with such a narrow frame with which to place schools on the table that it doesn't hold any water with me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

All we want to know is:
    No. of 1st time LCs? Avg points total?
    No. of 2nd time LCs? Avg points total?

Maybe avg points totals for 25,50,75 percentiles for each school??

All other info is a smokescreen

• Advertisement
Advertisement