Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky broadband pricing

• 30-11-2012 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

I did survey this evening for sky broadband bundles.

It was offering a tv,phone and unlimited broadband package for €75.

I don't know how indicative that is of pricing but I'm not sure if its a bargain compared to UPC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I did survey this evening for sky broadband bundles.

I don't know how indicative that is of pricing but I'm not sure if its a bargain compared to UPC
    Not great at all. Especially when you consider the bb speeds are much slower then upc and their multi room is 3 times dearer than upc. Hopefully they get some negative feedback on the surveys and rethink the pricing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

I suppose it depends where you happen to live.
    Outside the large urban areas that might be a good deal ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

What TV package was that survey based on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I think it was a basic package. It was mainly around the wording of phrases. Like and dislike and reasons why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Did the survey give any indication of how unlimited "unlimited broadband" would be? I'd be interested in ditching Vodafone's 40GB cap. 2Mb speed I can just about live with, but 40GB puts a damper on Steam sales/Playstation Plus/Netflix/etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

Did the survey give any indication of how unlimited "unlimited broadband" would be? I'd be interested in ditching Vodafone's 40GB cap. 2Mb speed I can just about live with, but 40GB puts a damper on Steam sales/Playstation Plus/Netflix/etc.

For a fiver extra I think you can get the "unlimited" vodafone package which is about 250GB as far as I can remember.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well assuming it is the Sky Entertainment Plus pack that is included, which normally costs €33, then that makes te phone and bb part worth €42, which is nothing particularly special.

I don't think it will come close to competing with UPC.

However it might help keep the price of the UPC packages down a little and Vodafone might be forced to make their cheapest entry level package unlimited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

brownacid wrote: »
    For a fiver extra I think you can get the "unlimited" vodafone package which is about 250GB as far as I can remember.
    It's €3.99 for an extra 30GB. I don't agree with the large difference in cap between their Value broadband and their Ultimate broadband (40GB vs 350GB), so I'm not going to give them more money just because they decided to keep prices the same but start enforcing the cap. I was forced into their Value broadband package moving from BT because my line can't get more than 2Mbit. It didn't bother me until they started enforcing caps.
    bk wrote: »
    Well assuming it is the Sky Entertainment Plus pack that is included, which normally costs €33, then that makes te phone and bb part worth €42, which is nothing particularly special.

I don't think it will come close to competing with UPC.

However it might help keep the price of the UPC packages down a little and Vodafone might be forced to make their cheapest entry level package unlimited.
    They'll never be able to compete with UPC if they're just another bitstream provider. Why would anyone go from cable to ADSL, unless Sky can undercut the price greatly? I hope you're right about them opening up competition with Vodafone though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I

Costs less than that now...but not from one supplier. :D

€25 basic sky sub + €49 unlimited 8mbit and line rental, widely available and total €74 a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Just got a call from Sky offering me broadband. We have the full Sky Entertainment pack and Sky Sports but no Movies or HD. They offered me the following:

broadband light up to 24mb - 2gb monthly cap - free

broadband max - up to 24mb - no monthly cap or fair usage policy - 10 euro on top of Sky package

Phone 7.50 free evening calls to 20 countries.

To get the broadband, I have to take the phone. So it would be €17.50 a month on top of my monthly Sky bill. No brainer as we are currently paying Vodafone about €50 for the same. I specifically asked what the fair usage policy was on the broadband max package and they told me that it is genuinely unlimited and that there is no fair usage policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Just got a call from Sky offering me broadband. We have the full Sky Entertainment pack and Sky Sports but no Movies or HD. They offered me the following:

broadband max - up to 24mb - no monthly cap or fair usage policy - 10 euro on top of Sky package

To get the broadband, I have to take the phone. So it would be €17.50 a month on top of my monthly Sky bill. No brainer as we are currently paying Vodafone about €50 for the same. I specifically asked what the fair usage policy was on the broadband max package and they told me that it is genuinely unlimited and that there is no fair usage policy.

Presume thats €17.50+line rental ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd only believe that if I saw it in writing and than with the full knowledge it will go away with in 3 years.

Pricing sounds very good. Has anybody else rang to see if they are offering it to the masses yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

codie wrote: »
    Presume thats €17.50+line rental ?

Good question. I didn't ask but I assumed that there would be no line rental charge.

There isn't on the Vodafone broadband that I am currently using.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Just got a call from Sky offering me broadband.

What exchange are you on, do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 paflairl

Hi guys,

Received a call yesterday from sky (had indicated my interest on Sky's website some months ago)

Similar info to what "The Sparrow" received, although the sales person mentioned 4 plans (2 of which apply to the area I live in (Tralee).

I assume that means 2 extra plans available to somewhere like Dublin, but she was vague when I asked more about the other two that were not available to me.

Didn't ask about the lite package once I heard about the 2gb cap.

No line rental for what the "sales person" called an introductory offer. The contract is for 12 months. During this time the price stays at €17.50 incl vat (€7.50 for phones/ €10 for unlimited broadband (broadband max)

Phone calls for the unlimited package included local,national and calls to 20 countries(landline only). I was told that it was anytime for all calls. Usual cut off point of 59 minutes for the phone calls.

From the conversation I had it seems they will roll it out to the masses sometime in february 2013.

Hope this helps guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Thats very cheap for broadband even if it only DSL Eircom must be worried if Sky sticks to it and will not charge line rental.

If anyone else gets a call can they ask when this is available to new customers and if there is any additional charges if you don't have an active eircom line in your house currently. (Got a line but it's disconnected as I'm with upc for phone).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Would defo be interested in this.Much better than what Eircom can offer.I registered my interest on Sky site a few weeks ago so hope I get a call.Although how can they offer anytime calls and unlimited broadband for €17.50 per month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

It's done through BT afaik.
    Like all opening offers, they will be loss leaders, that is until you go to renew next year!

I would be wary of someone telling me "no cap" on the phone.
    After all, the sales rep can tell you anything to get his commission and 6 months down the road when a large bill comes in the door,
    he will be long gone.

UPC is €69 with 4 months half price for 25mg BB, off peak calls and basic tv.
    Doesn't sound like a massive improvement on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

paflairl wrote: »

Similar info to what "The Sparrow" received, although the sales person mentioned 4 plans (2 of which apply to the area I live in (Tralee).

I assume that means 2 extra plans available to somewhere like Dublin, but she was vague when I asked more about the other two that were not available to me.

I reckon 2 plans are for people who are on a BT unbundled exchange and the other 2 are for people on Eircom exchanges and me thinks the BT unbundled exchanges will be the cheaper packages as Sky have the deal with BT. What do you think?

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Like all opening offers, they will be loss leaders, that is until you go to renew next year!

After all, the sales rep can tell you anything to get his commission and 6 months down the road when a large bill comes in the door,
    he will be long gone.

Cobblers:mad:

There's a big thread in the Work & Jobs forum about the $ky recruitment. None of the posters there, who had got jobs in Broadband Sales,said they werre on commission. Instead they said the remuneration & coditions were very good. Much as I dislike what $ky stands for, I have to say that they are anything but fly-by-nights , as you seem it infer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

okidoki987 wrote: »

he will be long gone.

Door to door= commission... phone sales = salary permanent contract recorded phone call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,619 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Wils110 wrote: »
    Door to door= commission... phone sales = salary permanent contract recorded phone call
    Targets for sales which leads to bonuses, calls are recorded fit training not for you to catch them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭zg3409

Shyboy wrote: »
    I reckon 2 plans are for people who are on a BT unbundled exchange and the other 2 are for people on Eircom exchanges and me thinks the BT unbundled exchanges will be the cheaper packages as Sky have the deal with BT. What do you think?

Thats exactly the way it works in the UK. Uncapped is only available in areas where Sky (BT in ROI) has their own equipment.

Anybody know if there is a BT exchange in Lucan? I would assume there is.

TheTechGuy wrote: »

Someone in another thread posted that the locations of the BT enabled exchanges was a closely guarded secret.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

ireland offline have a list of the exchanges here :

http://irelandoffline.org/2012/10/sky-broadband/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

TheTechGuy wrote: »

The Ballydowd, Lucan exchange is BT LLU.

• Advertisement

roast wrote: »

The Ballydowd, Lucan exchange is BT LLU.
    Yeah I seen that in the link above, I'm just under 1km from the exchange so hopefully my speeds would be decent enough.

Advertisement