Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky broadband pricing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Yeah I seen that in the link above, I'm just under 1km from the exchange so hopefully my speeds would be decent enough.

Sweet.
    Bear in mind that if you're 1km as the crow flies, you might be a little further in terms of the length of the copper line between you and the exchange.

If you check your current line stats in your modem, input the down attenuation to the form here it'll give you an approximation as to what the line is capable of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

roast wrote: »

Sweet.
    Bear in mind that if you're 1km as the crow flies, you might be a little further in terms of the length of the copper line between you and the exchange.

If you check your current line stats in your modem, input the down attenuation to the form here it'll give you an approximation as to what the line is capable of.
    I'm with upc at the moment so I can't check but I'd be happy enough with a solid 8meg connection. Paying upc for a 25meg connection but it's more than I need really. I do download a bit but I'm prepared to wait a couple more minutes if it means I'll be paying much less a month. It wasn't so long ago I had a 2mb connection from upc and sure that done me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I'm with upc at the moment so I can't check but I'd be happy enough with a solid 8meg connection. Paying upc for a 25meg connection but it's more than I need really. I do download a bit but I'm prepared to wait a couple more minutes if it means I'll be paying much less a month. It wasn't so long ago I had a 2mb connection from upc and sure that done me!

Cable broadband is far superior to DSL, not just in terms of raw speed/bandwidth.
    Depending on the price margin between UPC and Sky (whatever it would be as a bundle and whatnot) then it probably wouldn't be of any great benefit to switch back to DSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Nuno

Missus just got the call from Sky a few mins ago. We'd signed up earlier this year on their website expressing interest. Went with the €17.50 deal, locked in for 12months. Interestingly, they're sending out their own router (another one to add to the collection). Missus didn't ask what kind of router it is, but we'll see soon enough. Biddy on the phone mentioned some crap about having to leave the new router plugged in and not power down for 10 days after we get it. No idea what that is all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

i feel the same about upc, i think most people dont need the huge speeds that they offer and most people would prefer an 8 or 10 meg connection if it was available and cost less.

the cheapest broadband upc offer at the moment is 44 euro for a 50Mb connection. they should really have something on offer at around 25 euro.

i dont think you would even have to wait longer for downloads.
    unless you are downloading a few things at the same time most sites dont allow downloads faster than that anyway do they ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Yeah upc need a 8 or 10Mb plan. The way I see it is I either pay €74 to UPC per month or I give sky a go and pay €60 pm and get sufficient bb, phone and a better tv service from sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Nuno wrote: »
    Missus just got the call from Sky a few mins ago. We'd signed up earlier this year on their website expressing interest. Went with the €17.50 deal, locked in for 12months. Interestingly, they're sending out their own router (another one to add to the collection). Missus didn't ask what kind of router it is, but we'll see soon enough. Biddy on the phone mentioned some crap about having to leave the new router plugged in and not power down for 10 days after we get it. No idea what that is all about.

You can see the type of router here https://interest.sky.com/broadband-talk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭zg3409

It seems be a broadband modem and a cordless phone base station in one unit, hence the name "hub" similar to the BT hub in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭dubmick

Just got the call from Sky. I've asked them to confirm if they will be able to offer fibre?My exchange is due to be upgraded at Easter. He said he would check this for me. This would be a deal breaker for me if they couldn't.

I am with Vodafone at the moment and get 4mb (manually set by tech guys in Vodafone) even though my line tests only show I can get 3mb. Also, I have a sure signal box so will need to check if this works with other providers.

Don't think I need the 7.50 international calls deal so my my monthly phone bill would only be 10 euro a month. Very difficult to turn that down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Mate a 7 meg connection with Eircom is 32 Euro a month plus line rental plus tax at 21 per cent.

You'd be better off staying with UPC even if you don't use the broadband bandwidth you got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Nuno wrote: »

Here's the reason for the 10 days thing :

http://help.sky.com/broadband/broadband-speeds/fluctuating-speeds-in-your-first-ten-days?country=ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Do you have to use sky's router or can you use your own ?

bodonnell wrote: »
    Do you have to use sky's router or can you use your own ?

Most ISPs will only support their own router, so if you use another and have problems then you are on your own. Personally I have disabled wireless on routers and used my own one afterwards instead of theirs.

Assuming you are on an Eircom exchange with eircom equipment at the other end I can't see why another make would not work. You would need the settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

I assume the good deals are only for people on LLU exchanges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭dubmick

Just off the phone from Sky, they won't be offering fibre broadband when it becomes available in my area. I'm out. Pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭dam099

ted1 wrote: »
    Targets for sales which leads to bonuses, calls are recorded fit training not for you to catch them out.

If they record you I believe data protection laws mean you can get access to the recordings even if they would rather you couldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,619 ✭✭✭✭ted1

dam099 wrote: »

If they record you I believe data protection laws mean you can get access to the recordings even if they would rather you couldn't.
    Believe all you like, what's meant to happen and what happens are two totally different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

I assume all of the people who Sky are currently phoning are all on LLU exchanges? Can anyone confirm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Just got a call from Sky offering me broadband. We have the full Sky Entertainment pack and Sky Sports but no Movies or HD. They offered me the following:

broadband light up to 24mb - 2gb monthly cap - free

broadband max - up to 24mb - no monthly cap or fair usage policy - 10 euro on top of Sky package

Phone 7.50 free evening calls to 20 countries.

To get the broadband, I have to take the phone. So it would be €17.50 a month on top of my monthly Sky bill. No brainer as we are currently paying Vodafone about €50 for the same. I specifically asked what the fair usage policy was on the broadband max package and they told me that it is genuinely unlimited and that there is no fair usage policy.
    I got a call from sky too because I signed up as being interested when the broadband was available. I have entertainment package+HD+ movies and multiroom totalling €91 pm. The broadband is €10 + €1 for evening and weekend calls to Irish landlines including line rental (I asked specifically about line rental). Totally unlimited with the max speed my line can handle which is 15 meg. I committed over the phone and the router is being dispatched. When the paperwork arrives I'll give it a good read over and keep everyone posted. It's not available to the general public until Feb next year. Upc BB is not available in my area and if their so called digital TV service which I endured for 1 long long year is anything to go by.........They can keep it.
    Sky all the way for me.

dubmick wrote: »
    Just got the call from Sky. I've asked them to confirm if they will be able to offer fibre?My exchange is due to be upgraded at Easter. He said he would check this for me. This would be a deal breaker for me if they couldn't.

I am with Vodafone at the moment and get 4mb (manually set by tech guys in Vodafone) even though my line tests only show I can get 3mb. Also, I have a sure signal box so will need to check if this works with other providers.

Don't think I need the 7.50 international calls deal so my my monthly phone bill would only be 10 euro a month. Very difficult to turn that down!
    I don't think your exchange being upgraded to fibre will make any difference connection-wise at your end. I just means that the feed into the exchange is fibre with all the copper lines to individual premises remain unchanged. My exchange was upgraded to fibre last year and I'm getting sky BB. My exchange is LLU which could be the reason my line rental is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

sorry about the cross posting - I posted this in the bargain alerts thread but no one replied

just a few questions on this offer in case someone can answer them (I've registered a while ago as well, waitin on a call)

for those that have already been phoned - are ye in large areas where there are LLU exchanges or is it a mixture of eircom / LLU exchanges?

are those already contacted on ADSL2+ only exchanges or are some of ye on ADSL only? (I've seen the comments about speeds quoted by sky but these could be low because of distance rather than exchange capability)

will the DSFA Allowance be accepted with Sky?

sorry about the cross posting - I posted this in the bargain alerts thread but no one replied

just a few questions on this offer in case someone can answer them (I've registered a while ago as well, waitin on a call)

for those that have already been phoned - are ye in large areas where there are LLU exchanges or is it a mixture of eircom / LLU exchanges?

are those already contacted on ADSL2+ only exchanges or are some of ye on ADSL only? (I've seen the comments about speeds quoted by sky but these could be low because of distance rather than exchange capability)

will the DSFA Allowance be accepted with Sky?
    I wouldn't be in a large area( rural town). The exchange is LLU
    I got upgraded to what was called NGB I think I'm ADSL2+
    I don't know about DFSA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

A rep from Sky informed me yesterday that they were shutting down this deal at 5pm yesterday.

LeftBlank wrote: »
    A rep from Sky informed me yesterday that they were shutting down this deal at 5pm yesterday.
    Ha ha they told me that last Friday!! It was finishing up at 4:30 that evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

LeftBlank wrote: »
    jca wrote: »
    Ha ha they told me that last Friday!! It was finishing up at 4:30 that evening.

Neither comment is making me happy - sounds like it's ending soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Can someone post the link to where you can declare your interest in this please?
    Im at Newlands Cross, and due to a dispute amongst my neighbours (of which i have no part in) UPC is unavailable.
    So I am on Sky TV (basic @ €25 p/mth) and Vodafone broadband and phone (@ €38 p/mth).
    I'd like to get the cost down and this looks like it could be the answer.
    Not too bothered about having upc speeds, as long as it works, is reliable, and works with my Sonos wireless music system, Im happy.

long_b wrote: »
    Neither comment is making me happy - sounds like it's ending soon.

Sounds like lies to make a sale to me. If they are on commission they will lie, standard sales tactics, today only... limited offer....don't think about it act quick etc..

terrydel wrote: »
    Can someone post the link to where you can declare your interest in this please?

It won't be available to the masses until Feb 2013. Prices are not public yet. You might not get a call before Feb 2013.

Here is the link to express interest:
    http://www.sky.com/products/broadband-talk/index-roi.html
    or
    https://interest.sky.com/broadband-talk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

zg3409 wrote: »
    It won't be available to the masses until Feb 2013. Prices are not public yet. You might not get a call before Feb 2013.

Here is the link to express interest:
    http://www.sky.com/products/broadband-talk/index-roi.html
    or
    https://interest.sky.com/broadband-talk/

Thanks a mil :)

• Advertisement

I'm connected since yesterday. Got connected without a hitch. Speeds are very disappointing 6 meg down 0.6 up I was told my line could handle 15 meg. I would expect some loss due to distance etc but to be getting less than half...... Will give it the required 10 days and will ring them if no improvement.

Advertisement