Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky broadband pricing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

zg3409 wrote: »

Sounds like lies to make a sale to me. If they are on commission they will lie, standard sales tactics, today only... limited offer....don't think about it act quick etc..

They aren't on commision. There are targets to meet, but salary is fixed. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Just off the phone to Sky, I can't get any info at all about it, no one seems to know at the minute, see what happens when they ring me back tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Apologies. My earlier post was incorrect. The letter I got told me it was going live on the 25th so I connected the sky router and got a connection straight away. The bb went down this morning. I then got a text from sky stating my bb was now active!! Very strange indeed. Rebooted the router and connected. Speed was very slow initially but now it's exceeding 13 meg download and 1 meg upload, feckin delighted!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

jca wrote: »
    Apologies. My earlier post was incorrect. The letter I got told me it was going live on the 25th so I connected the sky router and got a connection straight away. The bb went down this morning. I then got a text from sky stating my bb was now active!! Very strange indeed. Rebooted the router and connected. Speed was very slow initially but now it's exceeding 13 meg download and 1 meg upload, feckin delighted!!

I am so jelly!!! I registered my *parents* interest a few weeks ago and as of yet no phone call :/ Where are you located? Rural or Urban area?
    On that list of LLU exchanges Carlow is listed as one but it doesn't say where in Carlow...currently I cant get UPC. So what ur opinion of sky bb?

I am so jelly!!! I registered my *parents* interest a few weeks ago and as of yet no phone call :/ Where are you located? Rural or Urban area?
    On that list of LLU exchanges Carlow is listed as one but it doesn't say where in Carlow...currently I cant get UPC. So what ur opinion of sky bb?
    I'm on the enniscorthy exchange which is LLU. The UPC tv service in enniscorthy is dire I wouldn't like to be depending on them for a broadband service!!! I'm delighted with the sky bb service. Unlimited downloads at the maximum speed my line can handle for €10 pm......... Sorted I thinkðŸ˜႒

• Advertisement

I'm on the enniscorthy exchange which is LLU. The UPC tv service in enniscorthy is dire I wouldn't like to be depending on them for a broadband service!!! I'm delighted with the sky bb service. Unlimited downloads at the maximum speed my line can handle for €10 pm......... Sorted I thinkðŸ˜႒

Unlimited? Is it another one of those sales larks like what Eircom uses where its subject to a fair use policy? Truly unlimited BB for €10 a month? Sounds good to me! How is you upload like? I really hope the carlow exchange is LLU :/

Unlimited? Is it another one of those sales larks like what Eircom uses where its subject to a fair use policy? Truly unlimited BB for €10 a month? Sounds good to me! How is you upload like? I really hope the carlow exchange is LLU :/
    The first question I asked the guy when he rang me. It's totally unlimited. The upload is 0.8 meg. My previous ISP were homevision and I must give them credit where credit is due. I was on their 10 meg package( the fastest they do on dsl) no phone calls, for €40 pm. I never got charged extra for Internet usage. The bills never changed. This includes line rental.

The first question I asked the guy when he rang me. It's totally unlimited. The upload is 0.8 meg. My previous ISP were homevision and I must give them credit where credit is due. I was on their 10 meg package( the fastest they do on dsl) no phone calls, for €40 pm. I never got charged extra for Internet usage. The bills never changed. This includes line rental.
    Wow I really hope my parents receive a phone call! Many thanks for answering all my questions :)

Wow I really hope my parents receive a phone call! Many thanks for answering all my questions :)
    You're welcome. It looks like they'll have to wait until the main rollout starts in February. I wonder what the prices will be like and are they restricted to LLU exchanges only?

You're welcome. It looks like they'll have to wait until the main rollout starts in February. I wonder what the prices will be like and are they restricted to LLU exchanges only?
    Yeah it's much appreciated! My parents contract with Vodafone is out in June. I wonder what their early cancellation fees are? I really do hope the Carlow exchange is LLU I did a line test and it says my landline is only capable of 11meg :/ My parents have been a Sky TV customer since like 2005 or that so they're waiting to see what their Bundles will be like hopefully they've got competitive prices. Do you only have BB with Sky or are you on a bundle? :)

• Advertisement

Yeah it's much appreciated! My parents contract with Vodafone is out in June. I wonder what their early cancellation fees are? I really do hope the Carlow exchange is LLU I did a line test and it says my landline is only capable of 11meg :/ My parents have been a Sky TV customer since like 2005 or that so they're waiting to see what their Bundles will be like hopefully they've got competitive prices. Do you only have BB with Sky or are you on a bundle? :)
    I'm on the entertainment + movies+HD+multi room, Hate myself don't I? That's costing me €91pm. The bb will be €11 extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You can be sure they will also get a call from Voda. They're not standing back and letting $ky have a free run. They ,or you, should play one off the other to get the best deal at the best price. Thats what I'll be doing when $ky come calling. Have already fobbed off Voda on 2 occasions:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

You can be sure they will also get a call from Voda. They're not standing back and letting $ky have a free run. They ,or you, should play one off the other to get the best deal at the best price. Thats what I'll be doing when $ky come calling. Have already fobbed off Voda on 2 occasions:)
    That's what you think would happen but that's not the case. I was onto Vodafone already, have been a home phone/broadband customer with them from the start and the only deal they were prepared to offer me was 6 months half price but I had to sign a 24 month contract, no chance!

I notice on the newspaper ads in the UK papers for sky bb it always says in the small print, only available in certain areas.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Will this be just resold eircom offerings or what?
    Im with eircom far too many years with no option to change apart from those who just resell eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭zg3409

Dcully wrote: »
    Will this be just resold eircom offerings or what?
    Im with eircom far too many years with no option to change apart from those who just resell eircom.

If you read back the threads you will see it works via the phone line. If BT (Vodafone Ireland) happen to have equipment in the exchange they use that. So as such there are not offering anything that isn't currently available.

However on pricing they seem to be offering the service at a loss (17.50 per month for broadband and phone) by subsidising the service from the TV charge.

In some cases this means you can get "up to" 24Mb uncontended (never slows) for €17.50 including line rental etc. The main factor on the speed is how far your house is from the exchange.

The service is not going to be launched until February. Current users are part of a trial and actual prices and services are not confirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

What's an LLU exchange?

What's an LLU exchange?
    LLU means, local loop unbundled. That means that engineers from other companies can get access to the exchange and attach their equipment to your actual copper cable in effect removing you from the eircom network. That's why they can give discounted line rental. Smart telecom tried to do it years ago. The reps knocked the doors and got the business. Eircom locked the exchanges and hid behind the union quoting "health and safety ". Couldn't see them trying that trick with Murdock agus a cairde!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

LLU means, local loop unbundled. That means that engineers from other companies can get access to the exchange and attach their equipment to your actual copper cable in effect removing you from the eircom network. That's why they can give discounted line rental. Smart telecom tried to do it years ago. The reps knocked the doors and got the business. Eircom locked the exchanges and hid behind the union quoting "health and safety ". Couldn't see them trying that trick with Murdock agus a cairde!!

How can I find out if my exchange is one of those? I'm with eircom and Sky. I wouldn't mind merging both contracts and paying less bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Dundalk is LLU enabled but does that mean the whole town is enabled?Would Blackrock,Dundalk have its own exchange for example?

• Advertisement

toby2111 wrote: »
    Dundalk is LLU enabled but does that mean the whole town is enabled?Would Blackrock,Dundalk have its own exchange for example?

http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/nga-map/?boundaries=true

This map shows exchange boundaries. By zooming in you can see which area you are in. Every region has it's own orange boundary. Blackrock, Dundalk seems to be a seperate region. This is good and bad. If is not BT/Vodafone/Sky enabled that means you would possibly pay more and have a download limit. It's good that the distance from your house to the exchange is probably less meaning maximum speed might be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

Can anyone specifically put up the cost of each of the four new packages Sky are offering namely:
    1. Broadband Unlimited & Talk Anytime
    2. Broadband Unlimited & Talk Freetime
    3. Broadband Lite & Talk Anytime
    4. Broadband Lite & Talk Freetime

Can anyone specifically put up the cost of each of the four new packages Sky are offering namely:
    I'm on a trial and I'm paying €11 extra on top of my tv package for broadband unlimited and talk freetime, this price won't be the price available to the general public. Just wait until it goes public I'm sure we'll see plenty of prices then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

This map shows exchange boundaries. By zooming in you can see which area you are in. Every region has it's own orange boundary. Blackrock, Dundalk seems to be a seperate region. This is good and bad. If is not BT/Vodafone/Sky enabled that means you would possibly pay more and have a download limit. It's good that the distance from your house to the exchange is probably less meaning maximum speed might be higher.

Thanks zg3409.Was hoping it was BT/Sky enabled but looks like I'll have to wait and see what price will be when Sky fully roll it out.Just sick of paying Eircom €55 a month although speeds are pretty OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I signed up for Broadband Unlimited & Talk Anytime and I'm paying €17.50 per month - €10 for unlimited broadband and €7.50 for talk anytime

I'm on the entertainment + movies+HD+multi room, Hate myself don't I? That's costing me €91pm. The bb will be €11 extra.
    I thought the bb was 10 yoyo extra or was that just a mistake on your behalf?
    Also, don't forget that from Feb 1st your bill will be €93 due to the €2 price increase :/

On that map in the bottom right-hand corner you can see "Graiguecullen" which is where I live :D Is hinting as to my exchange being LLU or is that just a coincidence as to where they but their markers? Many thanks!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

When i click on phase 5 on that map Monasterevin is showing up, when is phase 5 planned for?

Im literally dying to get away from eircom after so many years.

Dcully wrote: »
    When i click on phase 5 on that map Monasterevin is showing up, when is phase 5 planned for?

Im literally dying to get away from eircom after so many years.

The map is Eircom showing exchange boundaries for every landline provider. Phase 5 is vaporware. They may be bust long before then. The markers show exchanges. If the exchange is listed as BT see here
    http://irelandoffline.org/2012/10/sky-broadband/
    , then Sky will probably offer unlimited downloads. Eircom will still get a line rental charge from Sky of probably 10 to 15 Euro. Hence they are running the service at a loss for now.

• Advertisement

The map is Eircom showing exchange boundaries for every landline provider. Phase 5 is vaporware. They may be bust long before then. The markers show exchanges. If the exchange is listed as BT see here
    http://irelandoffline.org/2012/10/sky-broadband/
    , then Sky will probably offer unlimited downloads. Eircom will still get a line rental charge from Sky of probably 10 to 15 Euro. Hence they are running the service at a loss for now.
    Do you know which provider Phase 4 is? My area Carlow is listed as Phase 4, so what provider is that? Many thanks

Advertisement