Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky broadband pricing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭zg3409

Do you know which provider Phase 4 is? My area Carlow is listed as Phase 4, so what provider is that? Many thanks
    All those phases are Eircom. As far as I understand it is fibre to your nearest telephone street cabinet. From what I understand they are only on phase one and testing at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

zg3409 wrote: »
    All those phases are Eircom. As far as I understand it is fibre to your nearest telephone street cabinet. From what I understand they are only on phase one and testing at the moment.
    So what would that mean for me? No Unlimited Sky bb?

carlow exchange (assuming you are on that exchange and inside the boundary) is listed as a BT exchange. This means you should be able to get Sky broadband unlimited download. The speed depends on the distance from the exchange and the line quality up to a max of 24Mb if you live next door to the exchange. The distance is the real world as the wire goes as opposed to as the crow flies.

If you can only get a 1Mb internet at the moment due to distance from the exchange then you won't get faster. If Eircom ever reach phase 4 then your distance may reduce drastically, but you would need to pay Eircom probably a crazy price.

carlow exchange (assuming you are on that exchange and inside the boundary) is listed as a BT exchange. This means you should be able to get Sky broadband unlimited download. The speed depends on the distance from the exchange and the line quality up to a max of 24Mb if you live next door to the exchange. The distance is the real world as the wire goes as opposed to as the crow flies.

If you can only get a 1Mb internet at the moment due to distance from the exchange then you won't get faster. If Eircom ever reach phase 4 then your distance may reduce drastically, but you would need to pay Eircom probably a crazy price.
    Okay thank you, I am with Vodafone on an 8meg package getting around 6.5-7meg I also did a line test thingy and it says I'm 1.4KM away from the exchange so hopefully this means Sky bb with be available to me

Okay thank you, I am with Vodafone on an 8meg package getting around 6.5-7meg I also did a line test thingy and it says I'm 1.4KM away from the exchange so hopefully this means Sky bb with be available to me

You line might be able to handle 12 to 20Mb download speeds then.

• Advertisement

You line might be able to handle 12 to 20Mb download speeds then.
    Although my ma was told that our line can only handle 11meg by an Eircon engineer. It the bb with Sky is unlimited I will be truly happy. If my speeds remained the same too that wouldn't really bother me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

How can you find out that your exchange is listed as a BT exchange?

What test did you take to find out how far away from your exchange you are?

How can you find out that your exchange is listed as a BT exchange?
    Click on this link here and it will say.
    http://irelandoffline.org/2012/10/sky-broadband/
    And as for the line test, gimme a sec and I'll get a link for that too

What test did you take to find out how far away from your exchange you are?
    You need to go to 192.168.1.1 or the like and find where the "DSL BOX DIAGNOSTICS" is, note: it doesn't work with UPC. You then look for the Donstream Attenuation(dB) which is normally something around 25 then imput that figure into the link I've given below and it will give you a rough estimate along with other ASDL stats. Hope this helps! http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

You need to go to 192.168.1.1 or the like and find where the "DSL BOX DIAGNOSTICS" is, note: it doesn't work with UPC. You then look for the Donstream Attenuation(dB) which is normally something around 25 then imput that figure into the link I've given below and it will give you a rough estimate along with other ASDL stats. Hope this helps! http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

Just done this and it says max possible speed of 8128 kbps for my line.

Im stuck on eircom broadband 3MB for years, i know 7MB is available in the town but ive heard latency and ingame pings shoot skywards.
    Id love to get 7mb but not at the cost of high latency.

Dcully wrote: »
    Just done this and it says max possible speed of 8128 kbps for my line.

Im stuck on eircom broadband 3MB for years, i know 7MB is available in the town but ive heard latency and ingame pings shoot skywards.
    Id love to get 7mb but not at the cost of high latency.
    Yeah if it's stable then 3mb wouldn't be too bad. I'm on an 8mb connection but my router tells me it could handle 16mb hopefully sky will ultilise my capable speeds. I just did a speed test and I have a ping of 19ms with Vodafone

Here are my stats:
    eircom broadband: Connected
    DSL Mode: ADSL2+
    Speed: 12287 kbps /670 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 28 dB /13 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 8 dB /18 dB
    It says I'm 2 km from the exchange, even though Google maps says I'm 1 km walking distance from it. Guess there some obstacles in the way.

I'm only 300 meters from my cabinet and my exchange due to be upgraded at the end of the year. I guess I'll wait for fiber broadband.

Here are my stats:

It says I'm 2 km from the exchange, even though Google maps says I'm 1 km walking distance from it. Guess there some obstacles in the way.

I'm only 300 meters from my cabinet and my exchange due to be upgraded at the end of the year. I guess I'll wait for fiber broadband.
    How can you check it on Google maps?

How can you check it on Google maps?

Well, I know where my exchange is located, but I never knew how long my line was.

Here a map of exchanges across the country:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39502907/query21Public.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Can anyone specifically put up the cost of each of the four new packages Sky are offering namely:
    1. Broadband Unlimited & Talk Anytime
    2. Broadband Unlimited & Talk Freetime
    3. Broadband Lite & Talk Anytime
    4. Broadband Lite & Talk Freetime

this is the only one I can comment on:

Broadband Unlimited & Talk Anytime

appears to be 17.50 if you are on an unbundled exchange & 27.50 if not
    price includes line rentalI got a call tonight & signed up so anyone that registered their interest & has not yet been contacted there is still hope

My brother got a call from sky today offering him 24 meg fiber broadband in Kildare Town,hes been on 15mb for over a year and is spoiled for choice.
    I live in Monasterevin which is 6 miles from Kildare Town and cant get anything faster than 3mb ffs.
    A tiny village 3 km from me can even get ngb.
    It doesnt look like sky will be able to offer me anything new either.
    Sick in the pit of my stomach doesnt even describe how i feel about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Anyone know how to find out if my local exchange is BT enabled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

Anyone from Mullingar get a call yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

toby2111 wrote: »
    Read the thread

• Advertisement

We have no idea where your local exchange is. Read this and read through thread in future: http://irelandoffline.org/2012/10/sky-broadband/

If you want to ask Sky any questions, you can do so on here: http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Broadband-Talk/qac-p/SkyBroadband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Barry5714

Got the call this evening registered my interest about 2/3 weeks ago tested the phone line told me i can get 6MB (2km from exchange) which im getting at the moment so im making the switch from Vodafone no brainer unlimited download and almost half the price E27.50 12 month contract..

Living in East Cork pretty sure BT had no service in this area before....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

How do I connect WiFi on sky?

We have no idea where your local exchange is. Read this and read through thread in future: http://irelandoffline.org/2012/10/sky-broadband/

If you want to ask Sky any questions, you can do so on here: http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Broadband-Talk/qac-p/SkyBroadband

That list on ireland offline isnt very accurate, i just said above Kildare Town can avail of sky Fiber yet isnt on the list.

sky Fiber yet .

It's not fibre nor is UPCs "fibre powered" broadband fibre either. Sky is using phone lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Got the call today,girl said my line can handle up to 20meg,only getting 6 or 7 with eircom but im close to the exchange.Signed up,€17.50 a month,saving nearly €40 a month.Also getting anytime Irish landline,plus free calls to my bro in usa,landline&mobile!Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭persie11

Got the call today,girl said my line can handle up to 20meg,only getting 6 or 7 with eircom but im close to the exchange.!

Did SKY say that you would be getting 20mb from them?
    If you are only getting 6mb now what are SKY gonna do to treble your BB speed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

That list on ireland offline isnt very accurate, i just said above Kildare Town can avail of sky Fiber yet isnt on the list.

The list on IoffL is fairly accurate as it comes directly from telecommunications industry sources. If your exchange is not on that list you will not get "higher" speeds of LLU type DSL but may get eircom bitstream service.

Sky will provide their service through BT exchanges and those are the exchanges enabled for LLU everywhere else gets bitstream.
    There's no fibre involved as Sky will neither own or provide any infrastructure what so ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

persie11 wrote: »

If its a LLU exchange sky will give you the max speed the line can handle. Eircom can give the same speed but will charge you an arm and a leg for it!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

persie11 wrote: »

I did a speed test with another provider ages ago and there it said my phone line was capable of 22 meg ( obviously 24 meg is the limit on a DSL connection)

I have 7 meg package with Eircom i get 6.5 meg of that, but i asked Eircom about it they claimed my line could not handle more than 7?

I've always wondered was Eircom lying to me and why? Now if Sky can offer better speeds on the same line, then obviously Eircom were withholding better speeds from their customers, but why like i said.

Advertisement