Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky broadband pricing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Yeh,she said the line "can handle up to 20mb".I prob wont get that but I honestly don't care,I'm just glad to be away from Eircom and saving nearly €40 a month.Hopefully this will be the start of broadband and phone prices dropping amongst all providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Is Sky Broadband going to be delivered via DSL or via satellite does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Is Sky Broadband going to be delivered via DSL or via satellite does anyone know?

Ha, DSL. We wouldn't bother discussing it if it was satellite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

DSL, mostly using BT infrastructure...

Satellite doesn't really qualify as broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Ha, DSL. We wouldn't bother discussing it if it was satellite.

:D Damn you city folk with your fancy connections. I've got a slurry powered router here :P

• Advertisement

:D Damn you city folk with your fancy connections. I've got a slurry powered router here :P

City? I'm in a countryside town paying about 65 euro a month for a 12mb connection from Eircon-artists. I wish I could get UPC or Eircom's fiber broadband, but I'll have to wait 'til the end of the year.

Could be worse, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

City? I'm in a countryside town paying about 65 euro a month for a 12mb connection from Eircon-artists. I wish I could get UPC or Eircom's fiber broadband, but I'll have to wait 'til the end of the year.

Could be worse, I suppose.

Yeah, could be worse. I am paying almost the same thing for 1MB.:(

Shyboy wrote: »
    Yeah, could be worse. I am paying almost the same thing for 1MB.:(

I used to be with ICE Broadband in 2007. We'd be lucky to get 40 kB/s when it actually worked - which was only at off-peak times. I heard it isn't so bad nowadays, but I've been put off wireless broadband ever since.

I also used to have a 1mb connection with Digiweb and it had a 10 GB cap that I'd use in a week. Upgraded it to 20 GB and it would only last 10 days out of the whole month before Digiweb throttled the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

I used to be with ICE Broadband in 2007. We'd be lucky to get 40 kB/s when it actually worked - which was only at off-peak times. I heard it isn't so bad nowadays, but I've been put off wireless broadband ever since.

I also used to have a 1mb connection with Digiweb and it had a 10 GB cap that I'd use in a week. Upgraded it to 20 GB and it would only last 10 days out of the whole month before Digiweb throttled the speed.

I know, the whole broadband situation in Ireland is unreal in the year 2013.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Signed up by ringing the number:

€20 Sky Connect Unlimited
    €7.50 Sky Talk Anytime

Regular Exchange (Non-LLU)

Had been told €17.50 on the phone - email confirmation said otherwise :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Langer

What number did you call? i registered interest on their website but heard nothing yet.
    Called Sky yesterday and got through to Scotland Call Center only to be told it was a trial and he had no further info and he would 'register my interest' on my behalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

I live in South West & registered my interest ages ago but have heard nothing.
    Spoke to someone from Cork on Sat night & they had been contacted.
    She said there was 2 prices but one was limited but can't remember what their cost is.

Langer wrote: »
    What number did you call? i registered interest on their website but heard nothing yet.
    Called Sky yesterday and got through to Scotland Call Center only to be told it was a trial and he had no further info and he would 'register my interest' on my behalf.

Just tell them you missed their call!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

are they supplying their new white sky hub router? any opinions on it?

also what courier delivers it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

BArra wrote: »

i think they are

apparently it has 2 arials inside that scan for the best wifi connection

read too that it should be kept upright for best results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

BArra wrote: »

It's the new white hub, delivered by DPD

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Will sky be only available on the exchanges listed on the irelandoffline site or is there any chance of availability on other exchanges?
    I understand i may not get faster speeds but anything is better than paying eircom.

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Signed up by ringing the number:

€20 Sky Connect Unlimited
    €7.50 Sky Talk Anytime

Regular Exchange (Non-LLU)

Had been told €17.50 on the phone - email confirmation said otherwise :)

Can you elaborate on this please and tell us exactly what sky connect unlimited is.
    Any search i do on google or sky website just says broadband coming soon to Ireland with no details.

Just rang the number mentioned on the last page and said i had a missed call, dont think he believed me but came back after a few minutes and said he can offer me sky connect unlimited for €20 a month ,needless to say after years being screwed by eircom i jumped at it.
    He said my line can get 6mb [weird as eircom said 7mb] but he said the first two weeks not to turn off the sky router as it will be incrimentally increasing speeds to get the best stable speeds.
    My concern is the last time i went to 7mb from 3mb with eircom ingame pings increased, the sky operator said this shouldnt happen with their 6mb offering.

Im so happy to say goodbye to eircom.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Dcully wrote: »
    Can you elaborate on this please and tell us exactly what sky connect unlimited is.
    Any search i do on google or sky website just says broadband coming soon to Ireland with no details.

If you ring 0818 719 895 they will accept your order..

I rang last night and they set me up - They have not officially launched yet and are mostly making outbound calls to people who pre-registered that are on BT LLU exchanges , but if you phone them they'll set you up no matter where you are...

I got the same package as above €27.50 a month which breaks down as

€7.50 - Sky Talk Anytime

This is unlimited free anytime (24/7) National calls in Ireland (up to 1hr duration) and also the same offer for 20 International locations - I haven't found the full list yet , but UK, France,Germany, US,Canada , Australia and New Zealand are in the list . You also get free calls to Mobiles in US and Canada, again up to 1hr duration...

Calls longer than 1hr get charged per minute after the 1hr.

Calls to Irish mobiles are 24c a minute - That's a bit pricey , but given how cheap the rest of the bundle is , a bit of discipline about making sure to use my mobile if I need to ring another mobile will keep that under control.

€20 - Sky Connect Unlimited

Unlimited Broadband - No Download Cap , No Fair usage policy , No throttling - Proper unlimited.
    In terms of speed they only have the one price , so you will be given the maximum speed that your line can support , whatever that might be.

From conversations with the guy when I was going through the Order , Sky are eating the line rental charge for the 1st 12 months as an introductory offer so expect the price to increase next year , but it's so cheap it would be madness for anyone that doesn't have UPC Fibre or other 50mb+ service to not sign up for it...

They are going to kill Eircom/Vodafone et al in the non-UPC areas in the next few months...anyone that's off contract would be missing out on huge savings by not going with the offer...

Personally , this will save me over €40 a month so it's a total no-brainer for me..

• Advertisement

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    If you ring 0818 719 895 they will accept your order..

I rang last night and they set me up - They have not officially launched yet and are mostly making outbound calls to people who pre-registered that are on BT LLU exchanges , but if you phone them they'll set you up no matter where you are...

I got the same package as above €27.50 a month which breaks down as

€7.50 - Sky Talk Anytime

This is unlimited free anytime (24/7) National calls in Ireland (up to 1hr duration) and also the same offer for 20 International locations - I haven't found the full list yet , but UK, France,Germany, US,Canada , Australia and New Zealand are in the list . You also get free calls to Mobiles in US and Canada, again up to 1hr duration...

Calls longer than 1hr get charged per minute after the 1hr.

Calls to Irish mobiles are 24c a minute - That's a bit pricey , but given how cheap the rest of the bundle is , a bit of discipline about making sure to use my mobile if I need to ring another mobile will keep that under control.

€20 - Sky Connect Unlimited

Unlimited Broadband - No Download Cap , No Fair usage policy , No throttling - Proper unlimited.
    In terms of speed they only have the one price , so you will be given the maximum speed that your line can support , whatever that might be.

From conversations with the guy when I was going through the Order , Sky are eating the line rental charge for the 1st 12 months as an introductory offer so expect the price to increase next year , but it's so cheap it would be madness for anyone that doesn't have UPC Fibre or other 50mb+ service to not sign up for it...

They are going to kill Eircom/Vodafone et al in the non-UPC areas in the next few months...anyone that's off contract would be missing out on huge savings by not going with the offer...

Personally , this will save me over €40 a month so it's a total no-brainer for me..

Excellent Summary!

For me (non-upc area), max speed, no limits, brilliant price.

Will be getting 7mb, unlimited for €27.50 (non-LLU). Previously getting 3mb, 40gb allowance for €45 with Vodafone.

Great to see competition in the DSL market .... I am guessing that even after the 12 months they will still beat vodafone/eircom, given it's a bundle with TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Excellent Summary!

For me (non-upc area), max speed, no limits, brilliant price.

Will be getting 7mb, unlimited for €27.50 (non-LLU). Previously getting 3mb, 40gb allowance for €45 with Vodafone.

Great to see competition in the DSL market .... I am guessing that even after the 12 months they will still beat vodafone/eircom, given it's a bundle with TV.

Not sure how Eircom does it, but line rental has always been a joke anyway,. Why does Comreg allow this to continue. Eircom is a private company., there should be no line rental. You should only pay for what you use and calls you make, thats it.

If companies did not have to pay them to use the phone lines, dsl would dirt cheap and affordable even more. Eircom, knows how to cash in from doing feck allm if you ask me.

Surely with 4G coming next few months, the 4g masts are already being installed. Eircom and Digiweb will lose even more customers depending on pricing and the data plans of course?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I'm litterly gonna cry I want Sky bb so f-in bad but I can't join them cos of a bleeping Vodafone contract thats not up until May....I'm nearly considering paying the fee to buy out the contract. Anyone know if the €20-something DSFA allowance applies to Sky? Knd regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Signed up today, got the

Sky Broadband Unlimited €10.00
    Sky Talk €1.00
    Sky Talk Freetime €0.00

saving 50 euro a month from Eircon, goodbye finally Eircon!

☀️ 7.6kWp ⚡3.4kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Signed up today, got the

Sky Broadband Unlimited €10.00
    Sky Talk €1.00
    Sky Talk Freetime €0.00

saving 50 euro a month from Eircon, goodbye finally Eircon!
    €1? and €0!! Do you have the DSFA allowance or something? Very curious to see if this discount applies to Sky bb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Just ordered this. €10 a month for broadband and evening calls. Unreal. I have the top sky HD package so maybe that's why some are €10 and some are €20...

Just ordered this. €10 a month for broadband and evening calls. Unreal. I have the top sky HD package so maybe that's why some are €10 and some are €20...
    I have HD too. Not the full HD with sports and that just the normal HD channels, the price is the same for everyone. €10 + optional €7.50 for phone if your on a BT exchange ie Sky using their equipment or €20 if your on a non BT exchange ie Sky renting Eircom's equipment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

not true, i am on an eircom exchange and i am signed up for 10e broadband

ordered it during the week, have email confirmation and in order management i am awaiting activation

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Awake&Unafraid

Not sure where to post this so I'll post here. We used to have eircom broadband up until 2010 when it stopped working, so we just got rid of it altogether. Then last year we got rid of the phone too. Obviously the line has been switched off or whatever but we still have it.

This is probably a silly question, but if I ring up sky and order the broadband, they'll be able to sort out the line without me having to contact eircom, right? Also, I didn't register my interest for sky broadband, so I didn't receive a call. What are the chances of getting it in if I ring up?

I'm desperate to get rid of my midband modem, and get proper broadband again. I pay 35 a month for 20gb :/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Hub arrived today - Placed the order on Monday.

Unit is nice and neat.

Have to say that I've been impressed so far with the service. Lots of communications (multiple emails confirming the various aspects etc.)

Service will be active next Monday (hopefully)

Advertisement