Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky broadband pricing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

Did it say in your mysky order tracking that the hub had dispatched? I ordered on Monday also and it says awaiting dispatch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Barry5714

BArra wrote: »
    Did it say in your mysky order tracking that the hub had dispatched? I ordered on Monday also and it says awaiting dispatch

Ya i signed up last Wednesday and it says theres been a delay and its still processing in order tracking..
    Might have ta give them a ring and see whats happening....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I got an email saying that it had been dispatched along with a tracking number for DPD.

As it happened the email arrived just as the courier rang the door bell :)

The website now also shows "Dispatched" as well..

Let me know what they say to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Barry5714

Was just talking to sky and they said the delay notice im seeing is a glitch in their system and everything was fine with my order he said their after getting a good few calls about this......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Hub arrived today - Placed the order on Monday.

Unit is nice and neat.

Have to say that I've been impressed so far with the service. Lots of communications (multiple emails confirming the various aspects etc.)

Service will be active next Monday (hopefully)

They told me it would be 12 days, i placed my order yesterday.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Dcully wrote: »
    They told me it would be 12 days, i placed my order yesterday.

I was told 7 working days but it only took 2 so hopefully you'll be in a similar situation...

Looking at my MYSKY page,all the tools and information included is just fantastic.
    Absolutely everything you could possibly need under the one roof.

Im absolutely delighted this is happening and really hope eircom suffer bigtime as a result, they have been screwing me and everyone else for too many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Looking at my MYSKY page,all the tools and information included is just fantastic.

Im absolutely delighted this is happening and really hope eircom suffer bigtime as a result, they have been screwing me and everyone else for too many years.

Most expensive line rental in Europe, perhaps the world? Is any wonder people are leaving them for Sky.

However there is bound to be a hike in line rental sometime. There renting lines from Eircom, so there losing Sky in the long run if they don't charge for line rental.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Yeah Eircom need to realise that the Irish population isn't putting up with their shít anymore. I mean €25-something just for the right to own a bloody landline? Thats the highest I know of in any country. I really hope Sky catches on..maybe then hopefully Eircom will realise....Here's hoping anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Barry5714 wrote: »
    Was just talking to sky and they said the delay notice im seeing is a glitch in their system and everything was fine with my order he said their after getting a good few calls about this......

glitch on my order too

when you are logged into the sky site, under the "my sky" menu click on 'my broadband'

it should show you the activation date

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭mike2084

I was offered a deal by Sky but only took it on the basis that the eircom cancellation charge wouldn't be too steep. I have a contract with eircom until August so will I get hammered for a three figure sum from them for transferring to Sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I find the whole Sky pricing as a bit of too good to be true?! Eircom is €50 for the same package. Is there anything hidden going on here, or is it just that they are trying to enter the market with a bang and so are selling it as a loss leader for the time being?

How come some people have been offered €10 for bb and others €20? Is it to do with your exchange or something?

I guess just so used to being ripped off by the likes of Eircom etc then when you hear about an offer like this it just sounds too good to be true!

Also, what's the story with fibre? Is it that they upgrade the exchange to fibre so even if you switch to Sky, you will still benefit from fibre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

tinkerbell wrote: »
    I find the whole Sky pricing as a bit of too good to be true?! Eircom is €50 for the same package. Is there anything hidden going on here, or is it just that they are trying to enter the market with a bang and so are selling it as a loss leader for the time being?

How come some people have been offered €10 for bb and others €20? Is it to do with your exchange or something?

I guess just so used to being ripped off by the likes of Eircom etc then when you hear about an offer like this it just sounds too good to be true!

Also, what's the story with fibre? Is it that they upgrade the exchange to fibre so even if you switch to Sky, you will still benefit from fibre?

Why not ring them and see what they can do for you? The €20 charge is for those served by rural exchanges.

Yes, it does seem odd they can afford to sell DSL at a lower price, but there doing it.

Eircom, they're line rental is about 50 euros + every two months, for me. They charge me again for every phone call, i make.

I've got a 7 meg broadand package with them and this costs me 32 euro a month. And to top it off.

Eircom charges 21 per cent VAT on the whole bill every two months.

I've broadband in my home and without having made any phone calls. It works out about 65 to 68 euros a month with Eircom!!

Crazy amount of money. Its amazing to read about the the Sky deals people have been given. The dearest price i saw with Sky was 27 euros a month.

Its actually quiet funny, if you think about it. Sky and Eircom are only offering DSL here ( you'd swear it was fibre optic broadband we were talking about here) But its just a sign of people of wanting to leave Eircom in big numbers, but just hadn't the option to do so before this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Not sure where to post this so I'll post here. We used to have eircom broadband up until 2010 when it stopped working, so we just got rid of it altogether. Then last year we got rid of the phone too. Obviously the line has been switched off or whatever but we still have it.

This is probably a silly question, but if I ring up sky and order the broadband, they'll be able to sort out the line without me having to contact eircom, right? Also, I didn't register my interest for sky broadband, so I didn't receive a call. What are the chances of getting it in if I ring up?

I'm desperate to get rid of my midband modem, and get proper broadband again. I pay 35 a month for 20gb :/
    if you had eircom and it stopped working theres little chance of a 3rd party using eircom lines fairing any better.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

According to the Sky guy I spoke to when placing my order , sky are taking the hit for the line rental for the 1st 12 months as an introductory offer.

It's down to the exchange - It's €10 if you are on a BT enabled exchange , €20 if you're on an eircom only exchange

I hear you , when Sky announced they were launching I was hoping to be able to save a few quid by getting a bundled offer rather than having 3 separate bills for phone , broadband & TV as I do today..

I wasn't expecting the deal to be as good as it has turned out for me - I'm going to be saving €40+ a month. So even if they do put the prices up in 12 months time I'm still way better off signing up for them....

I know, I was shocked when I heard the prices - they are taking some hit with only charging €10 - €27.50 pm. It's a no brainer to move to them! I just hope there'll be no downtime or connection issues, I can hardly see though how there would be since it's still on eircom infrastructure. Just a point to note that the other phone/bb providers may have 30 day notice period (eircom do anyway) so if you're signing up for it, make sure you notify your current service provider asap.

Sky never said anything about giving sky 30 days notice?

Sky never said anything about giving sky 30 days notice?

Not giving Sky notice - giving your current talk/bb provider notice, eg if you're currently with eircom you have to give them 30 days notice to terminate the service with eircom (even if you are out of contract) so you will be charged 30 days service regardless.

• Advertisement

Sorry the second sky was a typo, that is ridiculous

Not giving Sky notice - giving your current talk/bb provider notice, eg if you're currently with eircom you have to give them 30 days notice to terminate the service with eircom (even if you are out of contract) so you will be charged 30 days service regardless.

How do you know this?

Surely Sky would have mentioned it, they simply said they would take care of everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

When I rang Eircom to tell them I was moving my BB and phone,the lady said I HAD to write a letter to some address in Marlborough Street Dublin to tell them my services were being moved and I HAD to give 30 days notice.However,Sky have been telling some customers that they will look after this.I sent a letter and an email to Eircom just in case they try hit me with sneaky charges..........cos they are going to lose a lot of customers to Sky(and rightly so!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

toby2111 wrote: »
    When I rang Eircom to tell them I was moving my BB and phone,the lady said I HAD to write a letter to some address in Marlborough Street Dublin to tell them my services were being moved and I HAD to give 30 days notice.However,Sky have been telling some customers that they will look after this.I sent a letter and an email to Eircom just in case they try hit me with sneaky charges..........cos they are going to lose a lot of customers to Sky(and rightly so!)
    I've changed phone provider several times over the years and have never had to deal with the outgoing provider. When you give your new provider your universal access number (uan) that gives them permission to take over your phone service.

I rang eircom, they confirmed I was out of contract but if I was to switch provider without giving them notice I would incur a 25e fee for the phone and 25e for the broadband?

If this is the case I will be looking for credit from sky as they told me they would take care of everything

I rang eircom, they confirmed I was out of contract but if I was to switch provider without giving them notice I would incur a 25e fee for the phone and 25e for the broadband?

If this is the case I will be looking for credit from sky as they told me they would take care of everything

That's crap. When i got Eircom broadband put into my home. I signed no contract with them, everything was agreed over the phone and i would guess hardly anyone signs an official document from them? So, not sure how strong their case would be in if they tried to bring me to court for leaving them?

Anyways since you're out of contract you can do what you like, they've no legal case rights really.There just trying to extract money from people who don't know any better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

How do you know this?

Surely Sky would have mentioned it, they simply said they would take care of everything.

Yes, they would switch you but your contract is with Eircom. They and every other provider look for 30 days notice, don't believe anyone who says they'll do it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

That's crap. When i got Eircom broadband put into my home. I signed no contract with them, everything was agreed over the phone and i would guess hardly anyone signs an official document from them? So, not sure how strong their case would be in if they tried to bring me to court for leaving them?

Anyways since you're out of contract you can do what you like, they've no legal case rights really.There just trying to extract money from people who don't know any better.

Verbal contracts over the phone have exactly the same standing in law as written contracts. I'm pretty sure that when you agreed a contract over the phone you would have been advised the conversation was being recorded.

For cancelling after the contract is up Vodafones terms are:

After the Minimum Period or, if there is no Minimum Period, at any time, either party may terminate the Service on giving the other thirty (30) days’ written notice.

For Eircom its the same:

Subject to the provisions of clause 7.3, this Agreement may be terminated by either party on one-month‟s written notice to the other. In the event of changes notified by eircom to these terms and conditions, you may terminate this Agreement, without charge, by serving notice in writing prior to the date of implementation of such changes. You will be deemed to have accepted any implemented changes, by continuing to use the Services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Verbal contracts over the phone have exactly the same standing in law as written contracts. I'm pretty sure that when you agreed a contract over the phone you would have been advised the conversation was being recorded.

For cancelling after the contract is up Vodafones terms are:

After the Minimum Period or, if there is no Minimum Period, at any time, either party may terminate the Service on giving the other thirty (30) days’ written notice.

For Eircom its the same:

Subject to the provisions of clause 7.3, this Agreement may be terminated by either party on one-month‟s written notice to the other. In the event of changes notified by eircom to these terms and conditions, you may terminate this Agreement, without charge, by serving notice in writing prior to the date of implementation of such changes. You will be deemed to have accepted any implemented changes, by continuing to use the Services
    Has no one following this thread ever changed service providers before? Assuming you're out of contract, you go to new provider by giving them your uan. They take control of your calls and broadband from a certain date. Your old provider sends you a Final Bill which you pay, then you get your first bill from the new provider which might be larger for the first time due to partial months etc. WHY are posters making such a big deal out of it??? Do they work for Eircon??

• Advertisement

jca wrote: »
    Has no one following this thread ever changed service providers before? Assuming you're out of contract, you go to new provider by giving them your uan. They take control of your calls and broadband from a certain date. Your old provider sends you a Final Bill which you pay, then you get your first bill from the new provider which might be larger for the first time due to partial months etc. WHY are posters making such a big deal out of it??? Do they work for Eircon??

And the final bill from the old provider will include the 30 days notice payment.. It's not like they won't release your phone number for 30 days , but they expect 1 months bill in lieu of notice.

It's always been that way ..nothing new going on here at all.. Mobile phones are exactly the same...

Some providers might just run you through to the next billing date (which may be less than 30 days away), but none are going to let you go right away for absolutely nothing...Contract or not...

Advertisement