Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky broadband pricing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Verbal contracts over the phone have exactly the same standing in law as written contracts. I'm pretty sure that when you agreed a contract over the phone you would have been advised the conversation was being recorded.

For cancelling after the contract is up Vodafones terms are:

After the Minimum Period or, if there is no Minimum Period, at any time, either party may terminate the Service on giving the other thirty (30) days’ written notice.

For Eircom its the same:

Subject to the provisions of clause 7.3, this Agreement may be terminated by either party on one-month‟s written notice to the other. In the event of changes notified by eircom to these terms and conditions, you may terminate this Agreement, without charge, by serving notice in writing prior to the date of implementation of such changes. You will be deemed to have accepted any implemented changes, by continuing to use the Services

Lawyers costs alone will turn Eircom off from bringing you to court! Eircom will sent you a host of letters demanding payment, but that's about it in the majority of cases. Anyway, i think the person said they were out of contract with Eircom. Still with Eircom using the service, but they have no agreement with them to continue, the service on. So legally they can leave.

There also is host of reasons people cancel their contract and can get away with paying no cancellation fees ( they may no longer be able to pay for the service, the service is not meeting the standard for you and so forth) So again Eircoms will only take it so far. And courts don't look to too kindly on cancellation cases they prefer the provider and customer work out their differences by themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Lads, if you want to cancel Eircom go ahead and cancel. When they invoice you for a cancellation charge, they cannot include VAT as VAT is not applied to a cancellation charge as it is not a service. What happens is, the billing department of Eircom, and other companies, automatically add on the VAT and they cannot remove it. Eircom don't pocket the VAT on cancellation either, they do pass it on to revenue.

So when you get your bill or when the rep tells you about the charges, just query the VAT charge and how come they are trying to charge you VAT on a cancellation when it's not applicable. They usually drop the entire cancellation charge as they generally cannot remove the VAT.

EDIT:

Boards thread here about it:

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056714810/1#post79989473

Revenue Link here:

www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/vat-forfeiteddeposits-cancellationcharges.pdf
    Where a supplier levies a charge on a customer in the event of the customer cancelling an order or
    request for a supply of goods or services and the supply does not take place, VAT is not due on the
    “cancellation charge” as set out in paragraph 3.2 above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

As usual on Boards, this thread has decended into the usual bulk****. It's about CHANGING BROADBAND SERVICE PROVIDER. Where do all these pontificating legal eagles come from??? Are they ex conveyancing sleuths now unemployed since the property collapse????

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

Perhaps a dumb question but here goes.

I rang Sky and they said they need an active phone line in the house to provide the service which of course makes sense.

I'm presuming to make this line "active" i'll need to call Eircom to activate the line and pay them a line rental fee per month (~€20)

So the bit that confuses is where SKY say they are waiving the line rental for the first year. So does this mean i'll be paying the following;

Year 1 : €20 line rental with Eircom + €17.50 to SKY for broadband service
    Year 2 : €20 line rental with Eircom + €17.50 to SKY for broadband service + some extra line rental fee with SKY??

Can anyone confrim or help me out?
    Cheers

MrMischief wrote: »
    Perhaps a dumb question but here goes.

I rang Sky and they said they need an active phone line in the house to provide the service which of course makes sense.

I'm presuming to make this line "active" i'll need to call Eircom to activate the line and pay them a line rental fee per month (~€20)

So the bit that confuses is where SKY say they are waiving the line rental for the first year. So does this mean i'll be paying the following;

Year 1 : €20 line rental with Eircom + €17.50 to SKY for broadband service
    Year 2 : €20 line rental with Eircom + €17.50 to SKY for broadband service + some extra line rental fee with SKY??

Can anyone confrim or help me out?
    Cheers
    I can't help you on the line activation side of things unfortunately but the pricing for an already active line is:
    1) BT enabled exchange €10 BB+ €1 or €7.50 for calls. This is all you pay, i.e. Line rental is included.
    2) Non BT exchange €20 BB + €1 or €7.50 for calls. This is all you pay, i.e. Line rental is included.
    It won't be easy getting your line activated without making some sort of contractual commitment to the the dreaded Eircom:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭seanin4711

hi all,
    is this self install?
    do you have to be a sky tv customer?
    thanks
    john

seanin4711 wrote: »
    hi all,
    is this self install?
    do you have to be a sky tv customer?
    thanks
    john

Self install?? All you do is plug in router to phone line and plug it into power socket. The password to access the wireless network is on a sticker on the router. They give you the password on a sticker which is handy to put on the fridge etc. I think you have to be a customer to get the BB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

jca wrote: »
    I think you have to be a customer to get the BB.
    For now, yup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

jca wrote: »
    Self install?? All you do is plug in router to phone line and plug it into power socket. The password to access the wireless network is on a sticker on the router. They give you the password on a sticker which is handy to put on the fridge etc. I think you have to be a customer to get the BB.

How are you finding the whole Sky bb experience since you moved over? Have you had any downtime or anything, are your speeds still much higher than what you were getting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Does anyone know what speeds I can expect? I'm with eircom and I believe my exchange is non-LLU. I'm on "up to 24" but can only get 12 Mb. Do Sky offer the same "up to 24" package as eircom?

My last bill with eircom was €125 for a period between: 01/01/2013 - 28/02/2013.
    My Sky Digital package is €23 a month

My contract with eircom runs out in October 2013, unfortunately.

How much would it cost me to switch to Sky broadband if I was to do it tomorrow?

• Advertisement

tinkerbell wrote: »
    How are you finding the whole Sky bb experience since you moved over? Have you had any downtime or anything, are your speeds still much higher than what you were getting?

I'm delighted with it. Speeds are very good upper 12meg is the lowest download, it normally gets 13 meg. Upload is 0.8 meg consistently. Very rarely during the 10 day setup period it would slow slightly. I was activated on the 2nd of Jan and since the 12th it has been rock solid. No annoying marketing calls either:D. It never disconnected at all. I find the quality of phone calls is much better too.
    All good so far I'm glad to say.:D:D:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MrMischief wrote: »

Ask Sky, they maybe able to activate it for you.

If not then yes you will have to contact Eircom to do it. But here is the important part, only ask them to activate your line, nothing else. Don't sign up to any broadband or call package from them. Just tell them you want your line activated.

You will pay Eircom to activate the line (sometimes free, other times up to €50) + €24 line rental for the first month. However once the line is active, sign up to Sky and then you stop paying line rental to Eircom. So you only have to pay line rental the first month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Does anyone know if the DSFA allowance applies to Sky bb? thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭Barry5714

glitch on my order too

when you are logged into the sky site, under the "my sky" menu click on 'my broadband'

it should show you the activation date

Cheers for the tip this is what it says for me...

Order in progress

Your order is progressing and we aim to have your Broadband up and running by the end of the day on: 25/01/2013

Just signed up for Sky there. Absolutely delighted because I should save about €40 a month.

F.uck you, Eircon!

Just signed up for Sky there. Absolutely delighted because I should save about €40 a month.

F.uck you, Eircon!
    Ha ha I like it. You won't be disappointed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Ould Mr Brennan

Nearly counting the months at this stage untill I can sign up to them. 55euro a month for Eircom 8mb and barely getting half that. And drops every 45 minutes :mad: Roll on september

Can't wait for May till I can join them. :D So no-one know's i the DSFA applies to
    Sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Can't wait for May till I can join them. :D So no-one know's i the DSFA applies to
    Sky?

What's DSFA??

tinkerbell wrote: »
    What's DSFA??
    DSFA Allowance for LandLine and Broadband I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

You claim that directly from DSFA now

efb wrote: »
    You claim that directly from DSFA now
    So Sky BB does accept the DSFA allowance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Household-Benefits.aspx

It's nothing to do with Sky it's DSFA that decide- if sky don't accept it directly you with get an allowance

efb wrote: »
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Household-Benefits.aspx

It's nothing to do with Sky it's DSFA that decide- if sky don't accept it directly you with get an allowance
    Oh okay thanks for that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Thread over in bargain alerts makes interesting reading,some posters there have signed up for €10 a month,it all depends on what your line can handle.The higher the speed the better.

I thought my VF package was cheap compared to Eircom until I read that,still under contract so I may sit it out.

I heard something on the radio when i was driving today. It was new item about those sky jobs coming to Ireland and sky planning to invest 1 billion here.

1 billion is lot of money. Does look like they Sky are here for good. If I was on the board of Eircom, i be seriously worried right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

I heard something on the radio when i was driving today. It was new item about those sky jobs coming to Ireland and sky planning to invest 1 billion here.

1 billion is lot of money. Does look like they Sky are here for good. If I was on the board of Eircom, i be seriously worried right now.
    Sky to create 500 jobs in Dublin

Nearly counting the months at this stage untill I can sign up to them. 55euro a month for Eircom 8mb and barely getting half that. And drops every 45 minutes :mad: Roll on september

Why wait? I canceled with 9 months left on my contract with eircom because it works out cheaper in the long run as I'm saving about €35-€40 a month - I was paying €65 a month with eircom. I also have the option to cancel after 9 months if I'm not happy with Sky. Eircom are releasing fiber broadband in my area at the end of this year and I'll decide then whether I'll stick with Sky or return to eircom's and their fiber setup.

zerks wrote: »
    Thread over in bargain alerts makes interesting reading,some posters there have signed up for €10 a month,it all depends on what your line can handle.The higher the speed the better.

I thought my VF package was cheap compared to Eircom until I read that,still under contract so I may sit it out.

People living in urban areas are getting that. People living in rural areas are paying 27 euros.

Those prices will likely rise when this trial run is over. I could be mistaken of course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Those prices will likely rise when this trial run is over. I could be mistaken of course?

This is SKY we are talking about! :rolleyes:

Advertisement