Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Salmon In a Small Offaly River

Options
  • 30-11-2012 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Hey guys its been just over two days since i first saw these salmon i have been fishing my local river for years and have never seen any:(..but two days ago while out walking the river bank i saw 4 salmon in couple of feet of water as the river has dropped and they must of got trapped.:D this river is in offaly miles from the sea its a tributary of the shannon. so iam just wondering what has brought them so far up the river?:D and has anyone else witnessed salmon so far up a river catchement?:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

id say its up spawning. this is about the time of year for spawning salmon.
    just before a hen salmon spans it usually turns red. what color were the salmon.

Ive seen salmon up as far as the castlegar river galway.
    sea, Shannon, suck, shiven, castlegar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

They were coloured heavy brown tint which makes me think they were in it a while the colour that i do see the prawners catch on the moy in the low water.:D its mad i do travel to laune in kerry and here salmon are on my doorstep i just hope a spate comes soon i fear they could get poached:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    They were coloured heavy brown tint which makes me think they were in it a while the colour that i do see the prawners catch on the moy in the low water.:D its mad i do travel to laune in kerry and here salmon are on my doorstep i just hope a spate comes soon i fear they could get poached:(

Let IFI know so they are aware of it. They will appreciate the info.

Email Sent Earlier:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I wouldn't be tellin everyone about this mate

• Advertisement

Dont worry mate i wont:D hence y i said offaly its full of rivers:D its a great thing to see checked on them today and still there swiming up and falling back such a great sight to see:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

I know of a river in offaly that salmon were released into about 7 yr ago. Havnt seen them since. Then again I havnt been fishing said river in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Great to hear this, it really is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Great to see they made it this far up the Shannon .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I was just thinking about this. A salmon spawning in Offaly could have came from the East, South (ish), or West coast.
    The Boyne system, the Shannon system or the Barrow system!

• Advertisement
Advertisement