Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Audio gone haywire.

Options
  • 30-11-2012 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Back for some help again. It's the Audio on my PC its sounds like its underwater . Its crackles it slows down, its horrible to even try to listen to a person speak on Youtube dont mind listen to a tune. I only noticed it going wonky about 3 weeks ago, up until then it was perfect.

Any suggestions on how to sort it would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Dunlaffin wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Back for some help again. It's the Audio on my PC its sounds like its underwater . Its crackles it slows down, its horrible to even try to listen to a person speak on Youtube dont mind listen to a tune. I only noticed it going wonky about 3 weeks ago, up until then it was perfect.

Any suggestions on how to sort it would be appreciated.

3 possible causes

1. incorrect setting (the effects may be turned on to underwater mode)

try resetting them to default

2. bad cable between the computer and speakers

try plugging the speakers into an ipod/mp3 player/another pc to see if they sound bad

3. corrupt sound drivers

uninstall your sound drivers - run crapcleaner to clean the registry - then reinstall or update the sound drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Dunlaffin

Thanks Freddy, but that didnt work. Its like its a buffering problem or something. It plays okay 20 secs or so then starts to crackle then it turns into a rhythmic vibration , underwater sound. Then after a minute or so it acttually slows down , like its getting backed up or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Dunlaffin wrote: »
    Thanks Freddy, but that didnt work. Its like its a buffering problem or something. It plays okay 20 secs or so then starts to crackle then it turns into a rhythmic vibration , underwater sound. Then after a minute or so it acttually slows down , like its getting backed up or something.

is your soundchip a realtek soundchip?

also what operating system do you have?

Windows XP is the OS. No idea what the sound chip is. Soundmax Audio Driver is that's any help. Pretty sure its not that , because if you put a CD in the PC it plays perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

You should check to make sure you're hard drive is using DMA mode.

*Right click My Computer and select Properties
    *Select the Hardware tab then Device Manager
    *Expand IDE/ATAPI controllers (you should see something like Primary IDE Channel and Secondary IDE Channel as well as other entries)
    *Right click then select Properties followed by Advanced Settings tab and make sure Transfer Mode is set to DMA if available for both Primary and Secondary Channels.
    *If it's not set to DMA mode and it won't let you change it, post back and I'll try to remember how to fix it. :p

Edit: Point 6 on this page is how I fixed it last time, there may be other methods.

Re-check the settings again after rebooting.

• Advertisement

Just did that Adyx,

They are both set to DMA if available already, but thanks anyway.

Advertisement