Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TECHNOLOGY (FT) PROFESSIONAL DIPLOMA IN EDUCATION

Options
  • 01-12-2012 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hey,

Has anybody an insight to this course? what primary degree would be neccessary to gain entry to this course. i.e would a degree in civil engineering from an i.t be an acceptable entry to this course?
    • Would a level 8 degree from a an i.t be a suitable entry route?
    • How much does it cost?
    • Are the bench test/interviews hard?
    • Is it hard to gain entry into?
    • Is it in demand
    • Employability?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

email the course director

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Dalmighty

Anyone atal out there willing to give advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

There seems to be a lot of entry requirements, being education but they do list on the information site that a level 8, and specified Civil for the construction option, would be one of the requirements.

This link looks to put the cost at just under 6 grand for a grad dip in Technology Education
    http://www3.ul.ie/finance/docs/PROVISIONALPOSTGRADUATEFEESCHEDULE1112.pdf

That's a lot of money at face value, but if it's what you want to do, it's tiny in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Dalmighty

Thanks for the reply,

Any idea of employment prospects or is the market over saturated with grads?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

Dalmighty wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply,

I know a few woodwork/construction teachers that have just graduated(I think thats what this would qualify you as?) and from what I hear from them there are very little jobs out there. Of the dozen or so that I know about half of them are gone to England and only 2 got jobs at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

The grad dip programme is no longer available. It has moved from a 1.5 year professional diploma to a two year professional masters. For any information regarding it this google professional masters in education in UL.

From what I have heard the market is fairly saturated with graduates in Ireland. However there are plenty of employment opportunities abroad if you are willing to go for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

Dalmighty wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply,

My brother is a technology teacher and had to emigrate. If you can get in by nepotism, that's a way.

He had to emigrate apparently they need loads of of teachers in London, some are rough areas. He was working last semester on contract work in London and got a proper job this semester, contacted school mid summer and got a job. Says it isn't really too difficult if you are willing to move and aren't a psycho.

Advertisement