Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP address etc.

Options
  • 01-12-2012 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi all
    Just wondering if anyone can offer any information.
    I think someone has been accessing some of my accounts on various websites. I have changed my passwords etc. so it's ok now but I was reading the "privacy and security" policy of one of the websites and it said that they "collect the IP address" every time a user logs on. I'm just wondering if they give me a list of the IP's from each time my account has been accessed would I be able to use this to see who logged into my account(s) and where they logged in from?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

No, you can get an approximate area and possible which company they use to get their connection.

If it was a serious matter the garda can use it and get the information from the phone companies but they wont unless there is a crime involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Independent12

Thanks for the reply - does each pc or laptop not have a unique IP address?

Inside your home network yes, on the internet only each connection does. The ip address can tell who it was but you cant get that information.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Independent12

Excuse my ignorance, I'm totally clueless about IT. Why do websites bother recording the IP address each time you log in then?
    Thanks for the replies by the way!

Probably in case something illegal happens, they would need to provide information to the relevant police.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You're login tokens will be IP matched anyways so the have to keep them short term anyways.

Its also in your interest as people like google can prevent spammers scammers and hackers getting in when they attempt to log in from a location the far side of the world from you.

And for the police.

Advertisement