Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orthotics with Neutral or Support Shoes

• 01-12-2012 12:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering what peoples preference is here and hopefuly get a justification for such....

Search so far seems inconclusive.

My shop options are Mizuno Wave Rider for neutral or Mizuno Inspire / Brooks Ravenna for support shoes.

My orthotics are supposed to correct pronation..

Any advice is welcome.
    Cheers,
    Seany

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Orthotics generally go in neutral shoes as by design they should be neutralising the action of the foot, therefore the shoe does not require guidance of any form.

Having said that the shoes should have enough structure to support the orthotic (but still be neutral). We generally see people getting recommendations from their podiatrist for Mizuno Enigma, Creation or Prophecy or Brooks Dyad. All of these shoes are deep enough and have enough toe box volume to accomodate orthotics.

Depending on your body weight the Wave Rider may or may not be suitable. It would need to be checked on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Thanks AKW,

At the moment I'm wearing Brooks Andrenaline GTS which IMO have a fair bit of support - I could be imaging this but I could swear I was running on the outside of my foot more when running in these with the orthotics.

I wore the Mizuno Wave Inspire for a year previously and had no injury trouble, so I'm thinking of going back to them, or Wave Riders if I keep wearing the orthotics. I also like the Brooks Ravenna but the Mizunos are winning the race due to the 'no injury' bonus points!.

Thanks,
    Sean

Orthotics generally go in neutral shoes as by design they should be neutralising the action of the foot, therefore the shoe does not require guidance of any form.

Having said that the shoes should have enough structure to support the orthotic (but still be neutral). We generally see people getting recommendations from their podiatrist for Mizuno Enigma, Creation or Prophecy or Brooks Dyad. All of these shoes are deep enough and have enough toe box volume to accomodate orthotics.

Depending on your body weight the Wave Rider may or may not be suitable. It would need to be checked on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

seanynova wrote: »
    Thanks AKW,

At the moment I'm wearing Brooks Andrenaline GTS which IMO have a fair bit of support - I could be imaging this but I could swear I was running on the outside of my foot more when running in these with the orthotics.

I wore the Mizuno Wave Inspire for a year previously and had no injury trouble, so I'm thinking of going back to them, or Wave Riders if I keep wearing the orthotics. I also like the Brooks Ravenna but the Mizunos are winning the race due to the 'no injury' bonus points!.

Thanks,
    Sean

Seany, the medial post in the Adrenalin and the orthotic will mean that you are running on the outside of the foot. The impact forces are not being distributed evenly through your foot and you are running towards an injusry as the lighter outside bones are not build for the full forces involved.

Any of the Adrenaline, Inspire or Ravenna should correct over pronation depending on the degree of movement one will be better than the other.

Another neutral Mizuno would be the Ultima, look out for that one, its a bit more sturdy compared to the Rider = better with the orthotics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

To get expert advice on this subject I recommend consulting a Podiatrist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

The person who fitted them didn't reccomend a shoe ??
    Getting the correct shoe with the orthotic/insert if very important.
    I would say 90-95% will be reccomended a neutral shoe but alot depends on the type of orthotic.
    I know a certain store doing orthotics will put the customer in 2170/kayano most of the time :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Seany, the medial post in the Adrenalin and the orthotic will mean that you are running on the outside of the foot. The impact forces are not being distributed evenly through your foot and you are running towards an injusry as the lighter outside bones are not build for the full forces involved.

Any of the Adrenaline, Inspire or Ravenna should correct over pronation depending on the degree of movement one will be better than the other.

Another neutral Mizuno would be the Ultima, look out for that one, its a bit more sturdy compared to the Rider = better with the orthotics.

Cheers for the recommendation, I havent seen any in the stores here but saw them online....If they dont show up in the stores I'll just revert back to the Inspire or Wave Riders (depending on what the podiatrist/orthotic maker says).
    The person who fitted them didn't reccomend a shoe ??
    Getting the correct shoe with the orthotic/insert if very important.
    I would say 90-95% will be reccomended a neutral shoe but alot depends on the type of orthotic.
    I know a certain store doing orthotics will put the customer in 2170/kayano most of the time :mad:

I think I'll drop by to see the guy who made the orthotics (I think he is a podiatrist?). Hopefully he will be able to advise me.

If I can't get a definative answer, I'll revert back to the Inspire's.

Thanks,
    Sean

Advertisement