Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision falls foul of Europe recession

Options
  • 01-12-2012 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2012/nov/30/eurovision-withdrawals-not-singing-anymore
    First, Portugal and Poland and now, short of an economic miracle, Cyprus and Greece. For an event that is meant to be one of the most unifying in Europe, next year's Eurovision song contest is starting to look unusually thin on the ground.

In quick succession this week, all four countries announced, or intimated strongly, that they would not be participating in the jamboree. With the exception of Warsaw, each cited the debt crisis.

"It's a great shame, very sad," said the Greek singer Nana Mouskouri, who was discovered when she performed A Force de Prier, Luxembourg's entry in 1963. "I couldn't perform for Greece back then as we didn't have television … I know the world progresses," she said, "but the whole thing has just got so big, so expensive."

Will Ireland now do the decent thing and withdraw as an act of solidarity? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I'm expecting a lot of multilingual versions of My Lovely Horse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Every cloud has a silver lining as they say, if the whole thing was binned it'd be no loss.

Advertisement