Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will anyone actually miss secondary school ?

• 01-12-2012 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

Will anyone here miss their school after the leaving cert
    or will they be like me and be glad they never have to go back ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Won't care too much, will miss some aspects. I'm not looking forward to college a whole lot like many people are though tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

Hmm, I will miss the learning side of things and the variety of subjects to choose from although I will be glad when I'm leaving, because I want to pursue a good career rather than been in school all my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Even though arguably I didn't have a great time in school, I miss it, I did have some great memories there and it's so relaxed compared to college. Here you have the false feeling of being free and independent but in reality you have piles of essays, assignments, readings... I'm not complaining, I love it, but I do look back at school years with fondness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Ever one of you lot WILL miss secondary school ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

School is handy, wait till ye get to the real world. Any wishes they could be back in school with no responsibilities. Leaving cert is a piece of piss compared to college

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

DylanII wrote: »
    Ever one of you lot WILL miss secondary school ...

will we?

I know I won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

areyawell wrote: »
    School is handy, wait till ye get to the real world. Any wishes they could be back in school with no responsibilities. Leaving cert is a piece of piss compared to college

This is not true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Captain Hman

I honestly can't wait to go to college. I have had a few good memories of school but to be honest
    theres a lot of ***** in my school and ill be glad not to ever see them again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

This is not true
    Perfectly true for most courses tbh.

Just wait until your first year exams are looming and you realise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

I don't think I'll miss secondary school, but at the same time I'm afraid I'll hate college (and I'll probably get all reminiscent of secondary school and start to remember it fondly, even though I really don't like it)

I feel kind of inadequate in school, and I'm afraid I'll just feel even more out of place in college. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

HugsiePie wrote: »
    I don't think I'll miss secondary school, but at the same time I'm afraid I'll hate college (and I'll probably get all reminiscent of secondary school and start to remember it fondly, even though I really don't like it)

I feel kind of inadequate in school, and I'm afraid I'll just feel even more out of place in college. :(

Feel the exact same, if only we could see the future :P on top of not really liking a lot of people in secondary school, I don't know what course to pick or even whether to move away from where i am or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

I know I'll miss random things like the teachers, the classrooms etc. but I'm still looking forward to getting away from it all and into college :)

bleach94 wrote: »
    Feel the exact same, if only we could see the future :P on top of not really liking a lot of people in secondary school, I don't know what course to pick or even whether to move away from where i am or not!

Moving away is the one thing I'm absolutely sure I will do ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

I miss secondary school so much (I'm in 1st year of college). I miss my teachers (especially a particular few), some friends and the whole 'easiness' of the Leaving Cert (I know you may not feel that it's easy at all when you're doing it, but in hindsight it was easy- just think of how hard the JC seems when you're doing it and how easy you feel it was looking back at it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I'd give anything to go back to school for a week, I'm in first year Psychology and the level of work thrust at you to do yourself and research, readings, references, everything is unprecedented in my opinion. The LC is extremely stressful IMO, but much, much handle than any college course. College us very tough.

But as another person posted, I guarantee you will all miss school. Everyone I've talked to in college agrees, overnight you just lose your sense of security, your friends constant companionship and just the ambiance that you created in school for years.

It's a little bit upsetting for me to realise I'm never going back to school, as crazy as it sounds, it's very true. I loved school, loved everything about it, it's very hard to go from being so well known and respected by students, staff and teachers alike to being basically anonymous in a University.

But c'est la vie, I will, more than likely if I have my way, be teaching in a school in a couple of years, Psychology is a great start I think though! :)

I'd give anything to go back to school for a week, I'm in first year Psychology and the level of work thrust at you to do yourself and research, readings, references, everything is unprecedented in my opinion. The LC is extremely stressful IMO, but much, much handle than any college course. College us very tough.

But as another person posted, I guarantee you will all miss school. Everyone I've talked to in college agrees, overnight you just lose your sense of security, your friends constant companionship and just the ambiance that you created in school for years.

It's a little bit upsetting for me to realise I'm never going back to school, as crazy as it sounds, it's very true. I loved school, loved everything about it, it's very hard to go from being so well known and respected by students, staff and teachers alike to being basically anonymous in a University.

But c'est la vie, I will, more than likely if I have my way, be teaching in a school in a couple of years, Psychology is a great start I think though! :)

what about the people who have a horrible time in school and dread each day because of it? will they miss it, too?

I despise secondary school, and I will never miss it for as long as I live. It's the bane of my existence, the constant hatred and loathing of everybody in there.
    I don't mean to go off on a tangent, but I genuinely fail to put into words how much I detest school.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

Perfectly true for most courses tbh.

Just wait until your first year exams are looming and you realise.

nope had my mock viva, bar engineering/maths/physics, college is a piece of piss, especially medicine, same as lc just gotta put in hours learning stuff off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

bar engineering/maths/physics, college is a piece of piss, especially medicine, same as lc just gotta put in hours learning stuff off

So grossly untrue. I'd love to give you my Psychology and see how firstly impossible it is to learn off and secondly how the work is in no way easy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

what about the people who have a horrible time in school and dread each day because of it? will they miss it, too?

I despise secondary school, and I will never miss it for as long as I live. It's the bane of my existence, the constant hatred and loathing of everybody in there.
    I don't mean to go off on a tangent, but I genuinely fail to put into words how much I detest school.

Just out of curiosity is it the actual work or is it the other students? I loved school last year, I had plenty of friends but when I repeated I was suddenly alone and I didn't have a single person to turn to for the mostpart of the day! That can make school feel like a dreary and bleak place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

nope had my mock viva, bar engineering/maths/physics, college is a piece of piss, especially medicine, same as lc just gotta put in hours learning stuff off

Sorry, have you completed every single college course? In order for your argument to have any sort of strength you must have...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Learning stuff off? I wish!!! Try studying some arts subjects and come back and tell us how easy college is... :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

especially medicine :rolleyes: You obviously have no clue about medicine, multiple work placements, all the equipment they use and is not as simple as "learning stuff off". Medicine is probably the most intense and hardest course you can do. Not just saying that cause its 600 points.

Secondary schools you are spoon fed. First year of courses are generally easy enough where they ease you into it but wait till the following years.

What course are you doing? From your other posts it seems you are afraid of flunking out

Just out of curiosity is it the actual work or is it the other students? I loved school last year, I had plenty of friends but when I repeated I was suddenly alone and I didn't have a single person to turn to for the mostpart of the day! That can make school feel like a dreary and bleak place.

It's not work that bothers me really. I don't really get picked on in school, i'm not a massive loner, I just hate being around a bunch of tools.

I do realize the irony in what i'm saying as they probably view me as a tool also. :pac: I've skipped school 13 times this year all in all, probably a fair indication of how much I can't stand it.

Please don't tell me that college is easier than the LC, I'm on the verge of a breakdown as it is.
    Being anonymous is another thing I fear. I hate being "lost in the crowd" in school as it is, I felt that from second year on-wards a lot of teachers left me in the dust, my confidence took a hit and my grades have taken a nose dive since, I don't want the same to happen in college. I don't want to be lost in the crowd again.
    Also the thought of not coming back to the place is daunting. I don't like it but I feel almost ashamed that I didn't make any sort of an impact, not in the school, nor among my peers, it will be like I was never there, a place where I spent 6 years of life will have no indication that I was ever there (bar files and crap), and my school mates will probably forget I ever existed soon after we finish the LC.
    Of course there are people (staff and students) who I will miss, some of them I will miss terribly but I am the furthest thing from popular you could imagine. I'm awkward to talk to and (admittedly) quite a boring person, I feel the friends I do have are only friends with me out of obligation and thus I am genuinely afraid I won't make any friends in college.

But then again as I said earlier I feel very inadequate and out of place in school, I'm just hoping college will be the lesser of two evils.

Did/does anyone else felt/feel the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

You haven't even sat your first year Christmas exams yet (Which are nothing compared to the annuals) so you may be a bit premature calling college easy.

As the years go by (I can't say for Medicine as it's not my course) but what with research projects and exams looking for less regurgitated fact and "How does X, Y and Z happen?" and more "How would you deal with X?" it becomes more and more difficult.

Take a look at a final year Pharmacy and Medicine paper for instance:
    http://www.tcd.ie/Local/Exam_Papers/2011/XP/XPH40071.pdf
    http://www.tcd.ie/Local/Exam_Papers/2011/XC/XCM6MHA2.pdf

Learning things off won't get you far when you're asked how you'd respond to real-life situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Being anonymous is another thing I fear. I hate being "lost in the crowd" in school as it is

I actually like the idea of being anonymous and "lost in the crowd". I'm mostly concerned about who I will be living with and what they are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

From what I've done so far I'd say that college is much tougher than secondary school. I prefer it though as I'm doing something I'm actually interested in. I think that's the difference.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Please don't tell me that college is easier than the LC, I'm on the verge of a breakdown as it is.
    Being anonymous is another thing I fear. I hate being "lost in the crowd" in school as it is, I felt that from second year on-wards a lot of teachers left me in the dust, my confidence took a hit and my grades have taken a nose dive since, I don't want the same to happen in college. I don't want to be lost in the crowd again.
    Also the thought of not coming back to the place is daunting. I don't like it but I feel almost ashamed that I didn't make any sort of an impact, not in the school, nor among my peers, it will be like I was never there, a place where I spent 6 years of life will have no indication that I was ever there (bar files and crap), and my school mates will probably forget I ever existed soon after we finish the LC.
    Of course there are people (staff and students) who I will miss, some of them I will miss terribly but I am the furthest thing from popular you could imagine. I'm awkward to talk to and (admittedly) quite a boring person, I feel the friends I do have are only friends with me out of obligation and thus I am genuinely afraid I won't make any friends in college.

But then again as I said earlier I feel very inadequate and out of place in school, I'm just hoping college will be the lesser of two evils.

Did/does anyone else felt/feel the same?
    Aww don't worry Hugsie, I feel the same :(

I'm that person that knows everyone but nobody remembers. Even though my school is mostly filled **** I hate, I know I'll miss some of them terribly.

I never got involved in anything like Student Council. Only teachers that teach/taught me know me, only students in my year know me, which is all sad given how small my school is.

Now I feel I should've done something in TY, rather than being lazy for 9 months. I don't wanna be forgotten the minute I finish my LC, the thought of being a nobody in a school I spent 6 years in scares me. Unfortunately I only realised this 3 months ago in 5th year..and needless to say I have tried my best to get involved more ever since but I feel like it's too late.

I know I'll miss school but I don't wanna miss it when I know it doesn't even know me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I think I will miss it when we leave. As hard as we all think the lc is I know it's only going to get harder when we leave. I'll miss the sense of security and comfort when I walk in every morning. It'l be a strange feeling walking into a completely different set of rooms and buildings after spending 6 years here.

I'll no doubt miss seeing everyone every day. There'll probably be people I might never see again for one reason or another :( It just wont be the same being around a different group of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I will. Having spent 6 years there with the same people and the same routine I think it will be very weird not going back at all. College seems very daunting, especially getting lost in the crowd, not being able to find yourself and settle in etc when you've been friends with the same people in school. Now it will be a whole different scene so yeh I think I will miss it! As well as that it means I'm getting older and life is moving on - I feel very young and definitely not old enough to be in college :P

Advertisement