Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will anyone actually miss secondary school ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Please don't tell me that college is easier than the LC, I'm on the verge of a breakdown as it is.
    Being anonymous is another thing I fear. I hate being "lost in the crowd" in school as it is, I felt that from second year on-wards a lot of teachers left me in the dust, my confidence took a hit and my grades have taken a nose dive since, I don't want the same to happen in college. I don't want to be lost in the crowd again.
    Also the thought of not coming back to the place is daunting. I don't like it but I feel almost ashamed that I didn't make any sort of an impact, not in the school, nor among my peers, it will be like I was never there, a place where I spent 6 years of life will have no indication that I was ever there (bar files and crap), and my school mates will probably forget I ever existed soon after we finish the LC.
    Of course there are people (staff and students) who I will miss, some of them I will miss terribly but I am the furthest thing from popular you could imagine. I'm awkward to talk to and (admittedly) quite a boring person, I feel the friends I do have are only friends with me out of obligation and thus I am genuinely afraid I won't make any friends in college.

But then again as I said earlier I feel very inadequate and out of place in school, I'm just hoping college will be the lesser of two evils.

Did/does anyone else felt/feel the same?

why do you care about popularity? live your life the way you want it, if you want to be remembered go out and make them remember you.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

I will actually really miss it cause I feel so young at 16 and didn't do ty .. Most people in college will much older than me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jc4517

They say the people who can't wait to leave school are the first to miss it the most

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

areyawell wrote: »
    especially medicine :rolleyes: You obviously have no clue about medicine, multiple work placements, all the equipment they use and is not as simple as "learning stuff off". Medicine is probably the most intense and hardest course you can do. Not just saying that cause its 600 points.

Secondary schools you are spoon fed. First year of courses are generally easy enough where they ease you into it but wait till the following years.

What course are you doing? From your other posts it seems you are afraid of flunking out

Doing med, like I said, it's piss, learning muscles in the leg atm, so what? anyone can do it just a mater of putting hours in. Cousin did engineering, bar that and maths/physics everything is piss op trust me, lc given conditions takes it

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

You haven't even sat your first year Christmas exams yet (Which are nothing compared to the annuals) so you may be a bit premature calling college easy.

As the years go by (I can't say for Medicine as it's not my course) but what with research projects and exams looking for less regurgitated fact and "How does X, Y and Z happen?" and more "How would you deal with X?" it becomes more and more difficult.

Take a look at a final year Pharmacy and Medicine paper for instance:
    http://www.tcd.ie/Local/Exam_Papers/2011/XP/XPH40071.pdf
    http://www.tcd.ie/Local/Exam_Papers/2011/XC/XCM6MHA2.pdf

Learning things off won't get you far when you're asked how you'd respond to real-life situations.

Nope, still just learning off scenarios and writing them down. true I havn't sat christmas exams yet, they're nxt week, but like I said easy. People just like to go "yea I go to college, I'ts so hard!" bs, I put in about 20hours in total for my xmas exams for med and I will pass

for lc I put in probs 10 times that amount by christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Nope, still just learning off scenarios and writing them down. true I havn't sat christmas exams yet, they're nxt week, but like I said easy. People just like to go "yea I go to college, I'ts so hard!" bs, I put in about 20hours in total for my xmas exams for med and I will pass

for lc I put in probs 10 times that amount by christmas
    And you think learning off scenarios will be any use to you come the clinical years or when you're asked to do a research project?

Unless you're willing to learn off every single possible scenario and every possible combination of patient type, condition and complication then you won't get very far.

If it was as easy as you make it out to be, there wouldn't be supplemental exams or people spending days after days continuously studying come exam time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

My advice: Enjoy secondary school while you can (even if you don't like it). College is bigged up (in most cases) to be something it's not. Yeah the freedom is great and hopefully when you're in college you're doing something you love. With me, I got my first choice in August, a course I had wanted to do for three years and my heart was fully set on it. But three months on and I've dropped out because I just found the course and content too difficult after coming from the LC. I felt I was in over my head with the amount of assigments, CA's and exams.

I would never say the Leaving Cert was in any way easy, it was extremely difficult but the thing about the LC- you're spoon fed the work. In college, you're out on your own. Be aware of that before you go to college and be fully sure that you are suited to the course(s) you have put down on your CAO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

l'll never miss secondary school, worst years of my life, the place really changed me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Really wish people who are already in college would stop derailing the thread by saying how difficult college is compared to the Leaving Cert, as if we weren't stressed enough already. :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to going to college but I'll definitely miss some aspects about secondary school. I'll miss my friends, some of my teachers and the routine. Still can't wait to leave the place all the same. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Prettyfireworks

DylanII wrote: »
    Ever one of you lot WILL miss secondary school ...

I left school 3 years ago, dont miss it one bit. Never have and highly doubt I ever will

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are far more difficult things to deal with in life than college exams or school. In the midst of some of them, it's a rare person wouldn't swap it for the relative simplicity of school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I think my opinion towards the quote 'Schooldays are the best days of your life' sums up my feelings on the matter. As in if this is as good as it gets, meh :p I will of course miss school and my friends and teachers and even the broad range of subjects and I'll more than likely be quite sad on my last day but at the same time, I feel like being this age and having all these rules is horribly restricting. I don't know, living in a somewhat isolated place and having stricter-than-average parents has just made me yearn for freedom over the last few years so yeah, I'll be excited (and quite terrified) to move on. I think it'll be easy to look back on these years and think how easy and effortless they were but it's easy to be idyllic about the past, there was a whole load of crap days in the midst of the good ones too (for me at any rate).

• Registered Users Posts: 35 OisinS94

Am in first year of college and I do actually sort of miss secondary school. Mainly because I made a friends with people who I spent 6 years of my life with every single week day.

None of them are at my college so of coarse I'll miss them. Also there was a sort of relaxed attitude throughout most of secondary school that I enjoyed.

In saying that I am still enjoying college life so far. There's a lot less "clique's" in college and the hours aren't too bad so I've a lot of free time. Also no stupid school rules like no phones, or no chewing gum or having to wear uniform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭shinesun

DylanII wrote: »
    Ever one of you lot WILL miss secondary school ...

Doubtful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

Just saying, I'm a first year biochemistry student in UL and I don't miss secondary one bit. That being said, secondary school were the worst years of my life. I wasn't bullied relentlessly or anything, but the people and teachers were just awful and I had to teach myself everything the teachers failed to. I could not be happier to be out of secondary and i feel like i am finally where i belong. I have many friends who had a great time in secondary school and they also do not miss it because college is so different. To be honest, so far, the only people I've heard say they miss it are the messers and bullies who do nothing now that school is over besides draw the dole and go on Facebook all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Just saying, I'm a first year biochemistry student in UL and I don't miss secondary one bit. That being said, secondary school were the worst years of my life. I wasn't bullied relentlessly or anything, but the people and teachers were just awful and I had to teach myself everything the teachers failed to. I could not be happier to be out of secondary and i feel like i am finally where i belong. I have many friends who had a great time in secondary school and they also do not miss it because college is so different. To be honest, so far, the only people I've heard say they miss it are the messers and bullies who do nothing now that school is over besides draw the dole and go on Facebook all day.

I miss secondary school A LOT and I wasn't a messer or a bully who is now doing nothing with my life. I'm in 1st year of college and I do like college. I have a career plan and am excited for next year of college when I get to pick exciting modules and electives... that said I still preferred secondary school and would love to go back (in fact I will be going back in the future but as a teacher not a student :p ).
    The reason I miss secondary school is because my teachers were the loveliest, kindest and most caring people I have ever met and I had really good relationships with many of them- especially a particular two. On top of that I had some very good friends who I don't really see anymore and I loved the whole structure of the Leaving Cert. I though many of the syllabi were fascinating... in fact I did 2 extra subjects myself because I liked too many subjects to narrow it down to 7!
    So what I'm saying is don't presuppose everyone who misses secondary school are the dossers. In fact it's probably the opposite. Fair enough if you didn't like secondary school.. it's not for everyone.. but most dedicated students will and not messers/ bullies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

l'll never miss secondary school, worst years of my life, the place really changed me :(

I hear ya buddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

Geo10 wrote: »
    I miss secondary school A LOT and I wasn't a messer or a bully who is now doing nothing with my life. I'm in 1st year of college and I do like college. I have a career plan and am excited for next year of college when I get to pick exciting modules and electives... that said I still preferred secondary school and would love to go back (in fact I will be going back in the future but as a teacher not a student :p ).
    The reason I miss secondary school is because my teachers were the loveliest, kindest and most caring people I have ever met and I had really good relationships with many of them- especially a particular two. On top of that I had some very good friends who I don't really see anymore and I loved the whole structure of the Leaving Cert. I though many of the syllabi were fascinating... in fact I did 2 extra subjects myself because I liked too many subjects to narrow it down to 7!
    So what I'm saying is don't presuppose everyone who misses secondary school are the dossers. In fact it's probably the opposite. Fair enough if you didn't like secondary school.. it's not for everyone.. but most dedicated students will and not messers/ bullies.

Yeah that's completely fair enough like, everyone has their own opinion. I wasn't generalising it saying that the only people that miss secondary are dossers/whatever, I said the only people i knew were in that situation. Nonetheless, I'm delighted you had a good time in secondary school, I feel like I missed out on many things to tell my futuristic kids and family about the joys of school, because I don't have anything to tell haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Yeah that's completely fair enough like, everyone has their own opinion. I wasn't generalising it saying that the only people that miss secondary are dossers/whatever, I said the only people i knew were in that situation. Nonetheless, I'm delighted you had a good time in secondary school, I feel like I missed out on many things to tell my futuristic kids and family about the joys of school, because I don't have anything to tell haha.

Oh okay sorry I read it as you were generalising but I see you actually weren't! :P I have to read posts more carefully before I reply! :pac: At least you'll have brilliant college stories... I don't think I'll ever enjoy college as much as I did school but I suppose the 2 different structures just suit different people! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I left school in 2009 and can honestly say I do not miss it.

Don't get me wrong, I had great craic at times. Most of it, however, was filled with constantly being told what to do. I felt suffocated and couldn't wait to get out!

A few years later and I live on my own and work for myself, I wouldn't trade that for secondary school if you paid me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

I will be so glad to be finished with learning Irish once this year is over! I can honestly say that that's one part of school I wont miss ! But there are parts I will miss, like some of my teachers, and some of my friends who I wont see much of after we all go to college. But i'll be glad to start again at the same time. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Say it Aint So

I can't wait to finish secondary school and get on to college. I won't miss it one bit....

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Talk To Frank

Will definitely miss seeing friends every day, not too sure about study/homework. Can't wait to head to college/uni though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

You'll all miss it for different reasons. You say you won't now, but college isn't exactly what you see in American Pie :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

13spanner wrote: »
    You'll all miss it for different reasons. You say you won't now, but college isn't exactly what you see in American Pie :o

Ahh here you've been doing college wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Im in second year engineering and find it easier than leaving cert. Some of the project might be difficult but the exams which would be worth 70% of my grade are easier. In leaving cert you have to know stuff from the past 2 years while in college the exam is based off of the past few months/year. Dont miss secondary school either. Might miss a few of my friends but you make new friends and are treated like an adult in the college. Im enjoying college a lot more than I enjoyed school, plenty of clubs to join and studying subject that interest me instead of irish or french.

This is just my experience but I doubt Im the only person who thinks this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Yeah same. Haven't missed School for a second. I had plenty of friends and certainly wasn't an unliked guy, but looking back the whole idea of secondary school is so repulsive. If the lads leaving these comments actually had to go back to school they'd change their mind in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

I'm in first year of college now, and if someone had said to me last year that I would miss secondary school when I left, I would not have believed them. But finding myself in college, with my group of friends separated and being in a totally new environment, I can honestly say that I sometimes wish I could go back and do secondary school again!
    The thing is, I was really good at secondary school. Got good grades and did really well in the Leaving. I also have amazing friends from school that I miss all the time as they're going to different colleges. But in college, I feel totally confused and out of my depth. I'm doing law, and everything is so different! It's like a totally new language, and it's so hard to get used to.
    Most of the people I've been talking to from my year say that they miss secondary school as well. I think it's because we're all so used to a structure and being told what to do, but in college, you pretty much have to do everything for yourself and it is actually really weird and difficult to adjust to. I mean the teachers all warned us of the jump between 2nd and 3rd level, but I don't think anyone realised until they actually started first year how different college is :L
    I'd pretty much advise everyone to make the best of secondary school because honestly you may not realise how much fun you had until you've left!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭malascoile

Im in 5th year and i love school. il definately miss it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

malascoile wrote: »
    Im in 5th year and i love school. il definately miss it

Weirdo :p

Advertisement